[SOLVED] 1070 vs RTX 2060 Is it worth upgrading now?

stravencroft

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
I've had the 1070 for a couple of years now and it's still doing fairly well on any of the games or applications that I run. I was going to purchase a series of multiple small upgrades for my system and I happened to notice how expensive the latest 2060 series is.

While it does have Ray tracing I'm curious if Ray tracing is worth the upgrade. I currently have a 1070 overclocked 8GB Asus video card.

A close friend of mine had recommended going for the 2060 super.

Current Card: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/fPFXsY/asus-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-dual-video-card-dual-gtx1070-o8g

Card I was looking at: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9w...-gb-sc-ultra-gaming-video-card-08g-p4-3067-kr

Any thoughts? I was in the middle of replacing all my Ram which is becoming more expensive than I thought so I wanted to cut corners where I could. I have no idea what ray tracing does but I want to future proof as much as possible.

Any thoughts?

Solution
Ray tracing or RTX is the future holy grail of graphics. It is still in its infancy stage. It's a rendering technique for generating an image by tracing the path of light as pixels in an image plane, and then simulating the effects of its encounters with virtual objects.

As of now, not many PC games have support for RTX, but this might change in the future. RTX is still very demanding on the current hardware, i.e. TURING RTX GPUs. It will take more 2-3 years for ray tracing to become "mainstream".

Some games do support RTX and look slightly better, but it comes at a performance cost, unless DLSS is also applied. Depends on the Game, but some games can look worse with ray tracing, depending on the scene. And the little uplift...
Ray tracing or RTX is the future holy grail of graphics. It is still in its infancy stage. It's a rendering technique for generating an image by tracing the path of light as pixels in an image plane, and then simulating the effects of its encounters with virtual objects.

As of now, not many PC games have support for RTX, but this might change in the future. RTX is still very demanding on the current hardware, i.e. TURING RTX GPUs. It will take more 2-3 years for ray tracing to become "mainstream".

Some games do support RTX and look slightly better, but it comes at a performance cost, unless DLSS is also applied. Depends on the Game, but some games can look worse with ray tracing, depending on the scene. And the little uplift in Image quality isn't much worth it.

EDIT:

Basically we are actually paying an "early adopter" price for this new Turing tech/hardware, hence the premium of some of these cards.

I know Nvidia has totally changed the GPU arch as well, with the addition of new RT and Tensor Cores, and other design/pipeline improvements (memory/cache) etc.

But to take proper advantage of this hardware, very few games and software are currently out in the market. So basically the hardware won't get fully utilized (if we think from this perspective).

Also, how well some of the upcoming Games will actually perform on a TURING GPU, with Real time ray tracing and DLSS, still remains to be seen. I think it will take at least another 2-3 years for this whole RTX technology to become mainstream.

As of now, few PC titles are going to take full advantage of this new RTX feature, provided Game developers also adopt and implement ray tracing, and DLSS deep learning AA in games as well.

Still, it's good to see new Tech being released. With time things might settle down a bit, and the performance gain might be there when DLSS and Ray Tracing features are enabled.

Last edited:
Solution

stravencroft

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Heres my PC:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Pallando/saved/#view=ynPvVn

CPU is the Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2 GHz

Note that my Ram is actually only at 16GB as of right now.

I have more ram than 16 listed there to track price changes.

I plan on expanding to 32GB once I can get something more affordable in terms of prices for it. Within the month.

I currently game mostly in 1080 although I do some streaming.

At some point I was going to get a newer board with more goodies as well as a newer processor probably a ryzen 7 but had wanted to get a better video card if it was worth the money first.

Last edited: