Question 1070 Windforce Rev 2.0 dies once it hits 60c +

Zullakar

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2014
Howdy folks, my issue is quite simply this, whenever the card hits anything higher than 60c it resets, no ifs or buts it just dies. I never noticed this when I bought it used likely an old mining card and it works generally but not really.
Each game or such has their own unique error so for a while I thought that it was some other HW issue but I've rebuilt the entire pc with exception of the GPU .
So tried Windows clean install, drivers clean install, checked for dust and as stated new HW for the rest of the PC (PSU included.)
The PC itself keeps on going it just kills my games which is my primary use for it anyways and with my "new" GPU is still in backlog since November and my refusal to pay insane price means I am stuck with it for now

My workaround so far has been to use Afterburner to just spin up the fans as soon as it hits 55 or so and just go ham from there, however if anyone had any ideas then I would love to try it, some other fella suggested repasting it/ check pads, however this feels like the Nuclear option as it would be the first time I would have done this on a card .

No OC, nothing special has been done what so ever to the pc everything runs "stock".
No crashdump, just an error from the software, once the GPU hits somewhere around 60c + (latest test it hit 66c and then crash) , it runs fine even under 100% load as long as I force fans to spin up.

[edit]
HW Specs:
Ram : 32 gb Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3600MHz
mobo: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI
CPU: Ryzen 5800x
GIGABYTE AORUS P850W
GPU : 1070 Windforce Rev.2
Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500GB NVME ( OS Drive)

Everything was but the GPU was bought November 2020
[edit]
Any suggestions on what I can try or should I just keep using Afterburner ?

Last edited: