Question 10700K All Cores @ 4700Mhz All the time

Hey guys

antecipating my GPU update from a GTX1070 to probably a RTX3080 I bought a 10700K and an Asus ROG Strix Z490-F to update upgrade from my 6700K/Asus Maximus VIII Hero while keeping my 2x8Gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000Mhz.

After building everything up and some trouble managing that the Mobo recognizes my M.2 to Boot, I finally got to Windows.

At first sight everything looks fine. I uninstalled previous Asus Software and uninstalled the neu versions. At this point no OC. Just enabled XMP Profile.

Ok so now I notice on NZXT CAM that my CPU is at 4700Mhz all the time. Without load. Should come down to about 800Mhz or so with spikes when Idle. But it doesn't..

Updated HW Monitor for it to recognize new CPU to be able to take a closer look.
Looks like this: View: https://imgur.com/5aXisMO

Already tried to check the UEFI but it looks somewhat different from my Hero VIII. Cant find options like adaptive mode or even where to manually change vCore.. 🤦
Any of you guys have an idea?

Are you perhaps in Performance mode within Power Plans?

If all chipset drivers are installed, and no manual multiplier selections applied in BIOS, when in Balanced Mode, the CPU should idle at near 800-1000 MHz pretty frequently, fluctuating on assorted cores a few times per second between 800, 1200, 2100, all the way to up to 5100 MHz or so for single core tasks, or, up to 4700 MHz for tasks that occupy all cores.

Any tinkering within BIOS to manipulate multipliers and/or mainboard OC presets/OC genies, etc...?

Are you perhaps in Performance mode within Power Plans?

If all chipset drivers are installed, and no manual multiplier selections applied in BIOS, when in Balanced Mode, the CPU should idle at near 800-1000 MHz pretty frequently, fluctuating on assorted cores a few times per second between 800, 1200, 2100, all the way to up to 5100 MHz or so for single core tasks, or, up to 4700 MHz for tasks that occupy all cores.

Any tinkering within BIOS to manipulate multipliers and/or mainboard OC presets/OC genies, etc...?

Already checked power plan: it's in Balanced Mode
And yes, another issue wit all cores always at 4.7 is that when one single core is needed to boost, or 2, it won't go higher as those 4.7 when it should be going 1core boost to 5.1 or up to 3 cores at 4.9 and so on.
I tried to check the Bios, but it is quite diferent from the version I had.. As I said, I looked for options to change cpu modes or vcore as one would do for OC, but cant seem to find them..
I can try to let the AI Tweeker from Asus OC my CPU but from my experience in my 6700k it tends to overvolt the cpu. I had a manual OC to 4.5Ghz on it with 1.28v. Could go further but liked how it never went over 70C and was willing to sacrifice those couple extra Mhz for sake of temps and silence.

And I didn't mean to OC my CPU just now. In Stock under load it almost hits the 70C on my Kraken X52.

Ok..
I tampered a bit with bios and manually changed it to a slight manual OC of 4.9Ghz All Core at 1.35 as first test.. after 5 min Prime95 (ACX off) temps go up to 74C.
Somehow now the frequencies drop to the normal 800Mhz when Idle.. Guess I will actually overclock if it helps.. going to either try to get it to hit 5Ghz on all cores or undervolt it at 4.9. I dont like high temps.. Computer is under the desk and blowing out heat it warms my legs to much lol.
The question is: Will it still hit 5.1 on one core if needed? Does the Turbo thing 3 still works?
I changed afterwards in Intel XTU to define that it should.. I'll test..

Edit:
So I actually got it stable at all cores 4.9Ghz @ 1.31v LLC4 with boost 1 core to 5.1Ghz.
At 5Ghz I would need 1.36v and it would go closer to 80C. I prefered the 4.9Ghz OC in the end.
On Idle all cores now sit at 800Mhz. On Prime 95 (no AVX) it sits confortably at 70C. Thanks!

Last edited:
Correction.. The cores sit mostly at 4.9 but with more occasional dips to 800Mhz or 1200Mhz.. It should be exactly inverted.. sitting on low frequencies with normal occasional peaks when Idle..
So the issue still exists although less pronounced..