[SOLVED] 10700K reporting wrong wattage

Hey guys,
I bought a 10700k and an Asus Strix Z490-F Gaming Mobo and no matter what software I use to check, it always reports somewhere between 6 to 7 Watt consumption..
Right now its overclocked to all core 5Ghz, but even without OC it reports the same.

Screenshot from HWInfo64:
View: https://imgur.com/a/0AzBZQ0

Any ideas on what is the issue?
I guess that it may be the Mobo reporting badly..

My System:
I7 10700K @ 5.0Ghz
Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
Asus Rog Strix Z490-F Gaming
G Skill Ripjaws V 3000Mhz 16Gb
NZXT Kraken X52
Seasonic Focus+ Plus 750 Platinum

Last edited:
Solution
if you look at the image, it went to a maximum of 76C and the HWInfo uptime is over 4 hours. I also payed a game during this time. And the Maximum Wattage was 6.992W and the minimum was 2.124W.
This is about the same while stress testing. Reported in Intel XTU, HWInfo, HW Monitor and Asus Extreme Tuning Utility - EPU Section.
As you can see, it is unrealistic. As much as we all know the the values reported in Softwares are not exact, they should at least report a maximum of maybe 175-200W (overclocked). The Stock 10700K TDP is 125W.

Oh, didn't notice that.
Is CPU SVID support in your BIOS set to enabled (you can find it in the Ai/Extreme tweaker tab) ? Enable if it's not and check the readings again.
Well... obviously that consumes so little power because is sitting at IDLE.
In that picture, if you look at the frequency some cores are dropping as low as 800 MHz.
Even when your OCing the CPU with a locked multiplier and frequency (e.g. 5 GHz), at IDLE very little current is sent to the CPU, hence low power consumption.
The numbers reported by HWinfo could be taken with a grain of salt, but still power draw should be really low at IDLE generally.

Putting any kind of load on it will increase power draw dramatically.

Last edited:
if you look at the image, it went to a maximum of 76C and the HWInfo uptime is over 4 hours. I also payed a game during this time. And the Maximum Wattage was 6.992W and the minimum was 2.124W.
This is about the same while stress testing. Reported in Intel XTU, HWInfo, HW Monitor and Asus Extreme Tuning Utility - EPU Section.
As you can see, it is unrealistic. As much as we all know the the values reported in Softwares are not exact, they should at least report a maximum of maybe 175-200W (overclocked). The Stock 10700K TDP is 125W.

Oh, didn't notice that.
Is CPU SVID support in your BIOS set to enabled (you can find it in the Ai/Extreme tweaker tab) ? Enable if it's not and check the readings again.

Last edited:
Solution
That was indeed the issue.. It was disabled. I enabled it and now seems to report correctly. I do know that I hit the motherload of silicon lottery.. At all core 5Ghz 1.355v LLC5 stable and was expecting a bit more consumption. XTU Stress test maxes at 135W. Prime95 maxes at 196W.
Still, that was indeed the issue. Thanks!

Reactions: ChumP
That was indeed the issue.. It was disabled. I enabled it and now seems to report correctly

Yeah... basically SVID is a protocol with which the CPU communicates with the motherboard VRMs. When enabled, the CPU has full control over how much power it requires. If it's disabled, voltage sent to the CPU is fixed and the CPU has no control over it... that's why you weren't seeing proper readings.