[SOLVED] 10700k temperature problems

snyderm

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
Can someone advise me on a cpu temp problem? I bought a new motherboard, and ram for my existing case, gpu and powersupply. I upgraded to an i7 10700k and DDR4 3600 ram. I bought basically a budget cooler for my cpu (Thermaltake Gravity i2) to try, along with some arctic silver. I am not trying to overclock my cpu, except I do have a memory XMP profile on.

I had been playing games with it for awhile, not believing anything was wrong. Then I noticed a big 120mm case fan wasn't spinning on my case. I turned my msi Afterburner on and checked my temps to see if things were bad without the case fan.

It first I thought it was fine, but I found a game that maxes my cpu for a short while (path of exile when a home level is first loaded). By loading the level 4 times in a row, I could get my CPU all the way to 100c!!!!!!!

Could a bad case fan make things this bad? Or, as I suspect my CPU cooler isn't nearly enough.

-Any advice appreciated.

Solution
I doubt the case fan making it that bad.
I would check the cooler mount first.
The cooler needs to be snug.
If it looks good and is snug...I would look at the fan curve in the BIOS and adjust it and see if I could get the temp down before I bought another cooler.
I doubt the case fan making it that bad.
I would check the cooler mount first.
The cooler needs to be snug.
If it looks good and is snug...I would look at the fan curve in the BIOS and adjust it and see if I could get the temp down before I bought another cooler.

Solution
Can someone advise me on a cpu temp problem? I bought a new motherboard, and ram for my existing case, gpu and powersupply. I upgraded to an i7 10700k and DDR4 3600 ram. I bought basically a budget cooler for my cpu (Thermaltake Gravity i2) to try, along with some arctic silver. I am not trying to overclock my cpu, except I do have a memory XMP profile on.

I had been playing games with it for awhile, not believing anything was wrong. Then I noticed a big 120mm case fan wasn't spinning on my case. I turned my msi Afterburner on and checked my temps to see if things were bad without the case fan.

It first I thought it was fine, but I found a game that maxes my cpu for a short while (path of exile when a home level is first loaded). By loading the level 4 times in a row, I could get my CPU all the way to 100c!!!!!!!

Could a bad case fan make things this bad? Or, as I suspect my CPU cooler isn't nearly enough.

-Any advice appreciated.
That cooler looks really bad. Nowhere near enough to cool a chip capable of 200W TDP like a 10700k.