Question 1070ti Duke...

jazmag

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2012
I received an MSI GTX 1070TI DUKE as a warranty exchange and I'm having problems with the fans on the card.

In bios the fans are quiet however once windows starts the fans ramp right up to 95%.
No tweaking programs are running, card reports through cpuid that it's running at 27 degrees.
Cpuid also reports that the fans are running at 35%.
Afterburner makes no difference with fan control.

Is there something in windows or nvidia experience that will affect gpu fan speed?

I have a gtx 970 that works perfectly...

Ryzen 5 2600
Asrock fatality itx gaming
32gb corsair vengeance 3000mhz
2tb m.2
Corsair sf750 platinum

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
I received an MSI GTX 1070TI DUKE as a warranty exchange and I'm having problems with the fans on the card.

In bios the fans are quiet however once windows starts the fans ramp right up to 95%.
No tweaking programs are running, card reports through cpuid that it's running at 27 degrees.
Cpuid also reports that the fans are running at 35%.
Afterburner makes no difference with fan control.

Is there something in windows or nvidia experience that will affect gpu fan speed?

I have a gtx 970 that works perfectly...

Ryzen 5 2600
Asrock fatality itx gaming
32gb corsair vengeance 3000mhz
2tb m.2
Corsair sf750 platinum

Hi @jazmag

While MSI Afterburner is a great program in it's own right, I switched over to Precision X1 about 3 years ago when I got my 1060 and it's been flawless. Point being, please download it and after installing it, manually set the fan speed to whatever % you like and then Save. (I suggest having the program start with Windows so it's always controlling your 1070 on startup. Click on the "Gear" icon on the top Right.) Don't worry that it's on EVGA's site and you have an MSI GPU. I have it on my & my daughters PC, both of which have different video cards from different 3rd party manufacturers. (EVGA & Zotac)

Of course disable Afterburner 1st so both programs aren't trying to do the same thing. Are all fans spinning or is one off? Are the GPU's clean? You may want to contact MSI to let them know the Warranty replacement card is potentially faulty. There may be a temp sensor issue with the card. Was it a new replacement or a refurbished unit? I wonder if the previous owner/MSI flashed the Bios..

Once installed and running, let us know what your fan's now spin at.

Last edited:

jazmag

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2012
Hi @jazmag

While MSI Afterburner is a great program in it's own right, I switched over to Precision X1 about 3 years ago when I got my 1060 and it's been flawless. Point being, please download it and after installing it, manually set the fan speed to whatever % you like and then Save. (I suggest having the program start with Windows so it's always controlling your 1070 on startup. Click on the "Gear" icon on the top Right.) Don't worry that it's on EVGA's site and you have an MSI GPU. I have it on my & my daughters PC, both of which have different video cards from different 3rd party manufacturers. (EVGA & Zotac)

Of course disable Afterburner 1st so both programs aren't trying to do the same thing. Are all fans spinning or is one off? Are the GPU's clean? You may want to contact MSI to let them know the Warranty replacement card is potentially faulty. There may be a temp sensor issue with the card. Was it a new replacement or a refurbished unit? I wonder if the previous owner/MSI flashed the Bios..

Once installed and running, let us know what your fan's now spin at.

Thanks for the reply I assume it's a refurb. This is the second such card they have sent, the first had identical issues.
They are aware of the problem and they have said that the problem is not with the card but with some software.
They state that because the fans run quiet in bios and only ramp up when windows starts then the issue is with some piece of software telling the fans to run high.
I will try precision x1 and see if it makes a difference however with the card ignoring afterburner I don't hold much hope.