[SOLVED] 1070ti Temp Limit

Dec 25, 2020
My EVGA 1070ti always maxes out at 65° C. No matter how hard I push it. I have checked GPU-Z and it says the limit is 83° C but I have never hit it even during benchmarks. I have monitored the temps using ingame monitoring, GPUZ and CPUID but they all stay a consistent 65° C at full load. How would I go about increasing this limit and would it help performance to do so? I know that these temps are good but it does seem a bit strange that it doesnt go any higher.

Solution
It's actually lower that you want it to go in order to have better performance. Nvidia's gpu boost does auto OC when there is enough power and temp headroom. If you manage to have the card at full load at 55C, you will get higher boost clocks than with 65C.

The 83C is the temperature that the GPU considers safe and a bit before that point, will start to downclock itself in order to stay cooler.
It's actually lower that you want it to go in order to have better performance. Nvidia's gpu boost does auto OC when there is enough power and temp headroom. If you manage to have the card at full load at 55C, you will get higher boost clocks than with 65C.

The 83C is the temperature that the GPU considers safe and a bit before that point, will start to downclock itself in order to stay cooler.

Solution