Benerang

Reputable
May 29, 2017
Hi, I recently bought a "working" Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070Ti OC Edition to replace my aging GTX 980. However when I received it, and put it in my PC, I turned it on and it started booting and making this terrible sound that almost sounded like coil-whine. When it came to installing the drivers, the card refused to install them, I would hear a disconnect sound, than a black screen. If I let it sit long enough the computer would bluescreen with the error code "DPC_Watchdog_Violation" which (If I'm not mistaken) Is a CPU/RAM error code letting you know your OC is too much, not a GPU error code. After bluescreening, the computer would reboot and not be able to get past the loading pinwheel because the driver installation broke itself when it failed to install drivers for my 1070. This error is repeatable, as I am able to boot into safe mode, remove the drivers, and boot into normal mode completely fine afterwards, but the second the drivers try to install, it bricks the OS until I can run DDU again. I have tried four different Nvidia driver variants to see the same exact result, and putting my GTX 980 back into the system fixes the problem. Should I try to reset my Windows install (because I know that can fix alot of pointless problems that shouldn't exist)? I also have some soldering skills, so if there's some IC that's known to go bad, I can replace it and not waste 260$ on a very expensive paperweight. Any answers to any of this would be appreciated.

System Specs:
*Ryzen 5 3600X
*16GB G-Skill Fortis @3200mhz (with custom heatsinks)
*AsRock B450M Steel Legend
*600W ThermalTake Smart PSU (Known good)
*Hopefully a GTX 1070TI soon

I have tried:
*Resetting CMOS
*Putting the GPU in the second mobo slot
*Leaving the PC off with CMOS out for an hour
*Re-seating the RAM
*Flashing the card's bios
*Installing the Graphics driver and nothing else
*Installing the Graphics driver successfully on my 980, than attempting to boot with my 1070Ti installed.

Last edited:
Solution
Hello everyone, I am glad to say that I have repaired the card! One of the VRAM modules under the VRAM heat-sink was completely lose. It's shocking that the card even got past the bios or posted at all! The seller of the item (Who advertised the item as working), refused to provide any support, of course. I would recommend anyone avoid buying working GPUs off of eBay and do that shopping elsewhere.

To anyone with no soldering skills having this problem: Try getting a hairdryer, turning it on max, and then go over the memory modules around the GPU die for about 30 secs. The hairdryer method always worked pretty well for me before I got my hot air station.

sgnz

Commendable
Apr 19, 2019
Do you know for a fact it was working?? Did you see it running in person? DPC watchdog can mean bad drivers hanging causing the system to lock up.
Hope you can get it sorted. Maybe a corrupted bios on the gpu?

Benerang

Reputable
May 29, 2017
Do you know for a fact it was working?? Did you see it running in person? DPC watchdog can mean bad drivers hanging causing the system to lock up.
Hope you can get it sorted. Maybe a corrupted bios on the gpu?
In the eBay ad, they said the card was working. I recently tried flashing the bios to no avail. I also tested the card on another computer, on a fresh install of Windows only for it to do the same thing. If anyone knows what could possibly be the source of the problem, I could fix/replace it. As of right now I have absoloutly no idea what the card's problem is, but it's not any software's fault.

Benerang

Reputable
May 29, 2017
use gpuz to look at what bios is on?
should return it
What use would it be to see what bios is on it since I just flashed it?
Also, The seller won't accept a return since I replaced the thermal compound on the card.
I messaged the seller about it and they are blaming me for "breaking the card" even though the only thing I did was replace thermal compound and clean out the dust.

Benerang

Reputable
May 29, 2017
Hello everyone, I am glad to say that I have repaired the card! One of the VRAM modules under the VRAM heat-sink was completely lose. It's shocking that the card even got past the bios or posted at all! The seller of the item (Who advertised the item as working), refused to provide any support, of course. I would recommend anyone avoid buying working GPUs off of eBay and do that shopping elsewhere.

To anyone with no soldering skills having this problem: Try getting a hairdryer, turning it on max, and then go over the memory modules around the GPU die for about 30 secs. The hairdryer method always worked pretty well for me before I got my hot air station.

Solution
Just for future reference, you probably could have filed a case with eBay stating that the item was not as described. IE they described the card as working, when you got the card, obviously you had to do some finagling.

Glad it works. Hopefully it will continue to. I guess keep it as cool as possible.

I actually bought a 1660 super from Newegg earlier this evening. But first I looked on eBay at gtx 1070s. Most of the ones I saw had probably been mined on. One was missing a fan. Others had loose coolers. When I was potentially going to pay 180-190 for a 1070, I ended up with the 1660 super for a little more. And it's new.

I buy on eBay a bit, and it can be a good place to get deals. Just when you buy on there, be sure to watch feedback. For example, one guy had a 1070 on there for 165, which I would have considered perhaps. But then I saw 42 feedback and only 97% positive. Yeah. Now if they've got thousands of feedbacks with that rating, maybe. Would have to think on that. But when a seller has few sales and that rating, walk away. Just be sure if buying on eBay who you're buying from. I've bought 3 gpus I can think of in the past 10 years or so from eBay and they've been good. My 7950 I had for a while. I think I resold it as working to. There are deals, just gotta be careful. Might have to wait until most of the mining people unload their equipment. Then maybe the used market will stabilize. But I'd say if you're spending much over 100 dollars, there are so many decent options out there right now.

I would almost suggest to return the card anyway. But the fact that you told them you replaced paste and that you got the card working, you might be stuck. Hopefully the card gives you years of trouble free service. But I hope your hairdryer trick doesn't come loose.

Last edited:

Benerang

Reputable
May 29, 2017
Just for future reference, you probably could have filed a case with eBay stating that the item was not as described. IE they described the card as working, when you got the card, obviously you had to do some finagling.

Glad it works. Hopefully it will continue to. I guess keep it as cool as possible.

I actually bought a 1660 super from Newegg earlier this evening. But first I looked on eBay at gtx 1070s. Most of the ones I saw had probably been mined on. One was missing a fan. Others had loose coolers. When I was potentially going to pay 180-190 for a 1070, I ended up with the 1660 super for a little more. And it's new.

I buy on eBay a bit, and it can be a good place to get deals. Just when you buy on there, be sure to watch feedback. For example, one guy had a 1070 on there for 165, which I would have considered perhaps. But then I saw 42 feedback and only 97% positive. Yeah. Now if they've got thousands of feedbacks with that rating, maybe. Would have to think on that. But when a seller has few sales and that rating, walk away. Just be sure if buying on eBay who you're buying from. I've bought 3 gpus I can think of in the past 10 years or so from eBay and they've been good. My 7950 I had for a while. I think I resold it as working to. There are deals, just gotta be careful. Might have to wait until most of the mining people unload their equipment. Then maybe the used market will stabilize. But I'd say if you're spending much over 100 dollars, there are so many decent options out there right now.

I would almost suggest to return the card anyway. But the fact that you told them you replaced paste and that you got the card working, you might be stuck. Hopefully the card gives you years of trouble free service. But I hope your hairdryer trick doesn't come loose.

Hahah thanks, I hope it lasts for a while too. I bought from a seller with almost 45,000 good reviews, so I assumed I would be getting what was advertised in the same condition it was listed in. Also, I want to be clear that I used my hot-air station for re-soldering the VRAM chip, not a hairdryer. I'm just trying to recommend stuff to other people who might be in the same situation. The 1660 Super sounds awesome, too, I've heard great things about that card!