Question 1070ti works worse than 1060?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducko

Prominent
Dec 11, 2019
Hey everyone.

I recently upgraded my GPU to a 1070ti (had Ryzen 5 1600x) and,as expected, it ran waay better than a 1060.
However,i bought 1070ti used, someone mined with it, and one of the fans was making a metalic noise when spinning.
It was working fine at first,but after a few months FPS started dropping randomly from like 300 to 40 in hard to run games.
I checked my GPU temp and it was 97 Celsius! I have warranty so I figured that I'm gonna return it.
They accepted my warranty and they're checking the card (the whole process is going to take around a month or so,stupid laws in Serbia).
Therefore I would be without a PC, but I can't since I'm an IT Student. Luckily i haven't sold my 1060 yet and i put it back in.

I forgot to mention that i upgraded my CPU to Ryzen 5 3600x in the meantime.

I opened a few games and noticed I even have better FPS than before!

How is this possible ? I understand the concept of bottlenecking but I figured that a 1070ti should run much better than a 1060??

Thanks for reading everyone, have a great day!

oldcracc

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
That sucks, I personally haven't had an issue with my GPU, which was used for mining, your 1070 Ti is most likely being throttled and probably was abused prior to your purchase, so it was near the end of its life.

Ducko

Prominent
Dec 11, 2019
Did you do a driver clean, using DDU, and reinstall the latest drivers, at any point? That can explain some differences in performance, of your previous card. The R5 3600x probably is playing a role, as well. It is a good deal faster, than an R5 1600x.

Yes I did,however I asked the guy who sold it to me (he goes to my school) and he said he did not mess with the vBIOS.

The 3600 is a much stronger CPU however than the 1600. I have a 1700x overclocked to 3.8ghz. The videos I see though show the 3000 series CPUs as having close to 20fps more. So in your case I'm guessing the 3600 is able to push the card harder.

At least when you get the 1070 back then things should really run well.

Status
Not open for further replies.