970A-UD3P
FX 8350 @4.0 GHZ w/ HYPER EVO 212
CORSAIR 4X4GB 1600MHZ CL9 RAM
SAPPHIRE DUAL-X OC R9 280X
AOPEN 650W 12V 624W 52A BRONZE PSU
COOLER MASTER SILENCIO 650 CASE
SAMSUNG EVO 840 250GB SSD (OS INSTALLED) WIN10 PRO X64
SAMSUNG HD753LJ

I'm aware that my system got really old.

My budget is $300 now with my current system. I will have $600 in total if I can sell my system for 300 bucks here but it's very hard to find a buyer. So, selling every component by its own is never gonna work for me. There's a small chance that I could sell my GPU to a miner but second hand market here is full of my card and plenty of people try to sell it for $65 for more than a month.

I have had enough of the power consumption of my system. I live in a flat with no heating in my room, I don't need it when I'm gaming as you can imagine, but gaming in is a huge problem during summers because I don't have an air conditioner either.

For the last three years , I haven't had enough time to play the games of that time period so, I also know that my system can pull them off.

Here are my options:

I will wait for a buyer to my whole system while I play some old games. I haven't put my rig on the market, though. I will get super busy again in a month. After that, I easily can wait for a buyer and I believe 1080p gaming market will be cheaper, right ? I will never go beyond that with 60hz FPS and play multiplayer too. I don't have enough time to check gaming news and upcoming components so, If patience is likely to profit me well in all regards, no worries then, I can gladly wait. I need your suggestions.

Or,

I can only get a low TDP GPU that would bottleneck my FX 8350 the least ( If it's worth it of course.). I might push my CPU a little bit further through safe overclocking. I'd rather smooth 60FPS than quality. What GPU could you recommend ?

Thank you for your time.

Solution
Small ITX GPUs with one fan will typically be noisier than larger ones (of the same model) with multiple fans. That's because the single fan needs to spin significantly faster to push the same amount of air, in addition to the fins of the smaller heatsink generally not having as much surface area to dissipate heat. Plus, it tends to often be easier for case temperatures to build up inside a small case, increasing the need for fans to spin faster, though that may depend on the case's design. CPU tower coolers may also not fit in many small cases. So, a tiny ITX setup might not be ideal for minimizing noise.

As far as efficiency is concerned, AMD's latest graphics cards are pretty close to Nvidia's at the moment, with their current...

Lutfij

Titan
To be blunt, you won't get 300USD from that system. 200USD would be the highest, provided the person doesn't argue with the bad PSU and the now nearly dead/hot headed GPU. As more time passes by, the more the system will depreciate(close to half the number I've stated), so time is of the essence.

Your platform has seen more than it should and anything you drop on it will be a negative return on investment. I would ask you to part ways with the system and if your budget for a new build is 600USD, you should be able to jump aboard the Ryzen platform and live with a lower TDP system, perhaps even a smaller form factor build.

Reactions: Vulmaro

Vulmaro

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
My PSU is 80+ bronze, still bad though. I know. I've never had any electronics dead in my possession but you're right my system is too old. I built it in early 2014.

I'd better put it on sale then. Both as a whole and the parts each.

I think Ryzen is a must for gaming nowadays. I could get an Nvidia. I've always gone for AMD, (not a fanboy though) but this time, I really need low TDP because electricity is too expensive here, like 0.64 local currency for each kWh! And will definetely be more expensive due to economic depression and failing currency. Nvidia is more expensive here than AMDs with higher performance but now in the long run, Nvidia significantly pays off more.

I have been dreaming about a small ITX rig. Since the new components are really run on low power and smaller, they don't produce much heat thus, the lesser noise. My ears are sensitive and I still can hear the coil buzz of my PSU and GPU under load though my case is claimed to be soundproof with foams inside.

I've seen smal ITX gpus with only one cooler fan. Are they reliable enough without overclocking ? (GTX 1600 series or RX series) I wanted to tell you that RX series here unfortunately are very much likely to give the wattman problem. Not sure if it was fixed by a driver update.

Last edited:
It won't sell well, especially if sold as a whole. 200$ max if you are lucky and sell it part by part. 280X is just a rebranded 7970 which was released end of 2011.
Small ITX is good for 1080p60fps, a 1660 Super or Ti should easily handle this resolution and Hz/FPS.

Vulmaro

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
It won't sell well, especially if sold as a whole. 200$ max if you are lucky and sell it part by part. 280X is just a rebranded 7970 which was released end of 2011.
Small ITX is good for 1080p60fps, a 1660 Super or Ti should easily handle this resolution and Hz/FPS.

Yeah, I hadn't been aware of the dates of second hand market when I checked it and then started the thread here. My system will never worth 300 dollars. I wish I could sell the GPU, CPU and mobo with my rams. I could gladly use my PSU, Case, SSD and HDD. Those would save me some good money I can spend on the upgrade.

My old and bad GPU wouldn't consume more power due to its wattage ? I think the components just draw the power they need when under load. I know the bronze silver gold qualifications and what they're meant for. (I believe it wouldn't whine or buzz with low tdp system)

Are 1660s and Ti capable of 1080@60p at good graphic settings ? I know I told that I prefer smoothness to quality but I would like to know their limits and longevity. I found some benchmarks in YouTube but they all are done by very powerful enthusiastic CPUs. I would probably go for entry to mid level Ryzen

Small ITX GPUs with one fan will typically be noisier than larger ones (of the same model) with multiple fans. That's because the single fan needs to spin significantly faster to push the same amount of air, in addition to the fins of the smaller heatsink generally not having as much surface area to dissipate heat. Plus, it tends to often be easier for case temperatures to build up inside a small case, increasing the need for fans to spin faster, though that may depend on the case's design. CPU tower coolers may also not fit in many small cases. So, a tiny ITX setup might not be ideal for minimizing noise.

As far as efficiency is concerned, AMD's latest graphics cards are pretty close to Nvidia's at the moment, with their current 5000 models only drawing a little more power under load than their Nvidia counterparts. That's because AMD already made the jump to the 7nm manufacturing node for their graphics processors, while Nvidia is still on a less-efficient 12nm node for the time being, largely countering the greater efficiency of their architecture. Nvidia will supposedly be releasing new 7nm graphics cards later in the year though, at which point I suspect they will regain their efficiency lead. For the time being though, both offer a roughly similar level of efficiency, with Nvidia generally being slightly better. AMD is still launching some of the cards in their current lineup, and the 5600 XT is rumored to be launching in the coming weeks, probably with a bit higher performance than a 1660 Ti based on rumored specs, though it's difficult to say exactly what kind of value it may offer until pricing is revealed. Or the exact power draw it will have for that matter. A 1660 SUPER or 1660 Ti only draws about half the power of a 280X though, while delivering around double the performance.

On the CPU side of things, AMD's latest Ryzen 3000 processors are notably more energy efficient than Intel's offerings, while offering more threads and arguably better value at most price points, making Ryzen the best option at the moment. Intel will supposedly be matching Ryzen on core and thread counts with their processors rumored to be launching within the next few months, but they should still be well behind on efficiency until they finally move their desktop processors to a new manufacturing node next year.

As for things like coil whine, it's kind of hard to say whether a given graphics card, PSU or other component might be affected, as that isn't often mentioned in reviews, and sometimes can become more apparent in a system with less fan noise.

Solution
Yeah, I hadn't been aware of the dates of second hand market when I checked it and then started the thread here. My system will never worth 300 dollars. I wish I could sell the GPU, CPU and mobo with my rams. I could gladly use my PSU, Case, SSD and HDD. Those would save me some good money I can spend on the upgrade.

My old and bad GPU wouldn't consume more power due to its wattage ? I think the components just draw the power they need when under load. I know the bronze silver gold qualifications and what they're meant for. (I believe it wouldn't whine or buzz with low tdp system)

Are 1660s and Ti capable of 1080@60p at good graphic settings ? I know I told that I prefer smoothness to quality but I would like to know their limits and longevity. I found some benchmarks in YouTube but they all are done by very powerful enthusiastic CPUs. I would probably go for entry to mid level Ryzen

Yes, the 1660 Super and Ti will allow you to max all games at 1080p60FPS now and for the upcoming years. I would upgrade the PSU if possible. Since you aren't going to play online games, e.g. 64 Player BFV, you don't need an 8 Core, a 6 Core Ryzen would suffice like the Ryzen 3600:
https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-36...1_1?keywords=ryzen+3600&qid=1578267614&sr=8-1

Last edited:
Yes, the 1660 Super and Ti will allow you to max all games at 108060FPS now and for the upcoming years.
Well, maybe "maxed" aside from raytraced lighting effects, since only Nvidia's 20-series cards support raytracing acceleration so far, though even then the effects still cause a notable hit to performance when enabled on that first-genation raytracing hardware. Raytracing will likely become a lot more common in the coming years too, seeing as both of the next-gen consoles will apparently support it.

Well, maybe "maxed" aside from raytraced lighting effects, since only Nvidia's 20-series cards support raytracing acceleration so far, though even then the effects still cause a notable hit to performance when enabled on that first-genation raytracing hardware. Raytracing will likely become a lot more common in the coming years too, seeing as both of the next-gen consoles will apparently support it.
I have an OCed 2080 Ti and I don't turn RT on since it brings FPS under 50FPS at 4K. It would run at 60FPS at 1440p but then less resolution means lower graphics quality. I didn't buy the 2080 Ti for RT, I was just looking for a 4K60FPS card as I had an RX580 and 4K was a slideshow in recent games.