1080 MAX Q VS Core v2 1080 ti or Titan XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanKem06

Reputable
Feb 24, 2014
I modified this to make things easier.

Has anyone seen benchmarks for a 1080 Max Q vs a laptop using a thunderbolt external GPU dock like the Razor Core v2 or Alienware Graphics amplifier ect ect. Paired with a Titan XP or a 1080 ti. Once releasted I will hope the Core v2 might support the 2080 ti or above.

I want to try this setup using a MSI GS stealth pro or another MAX Q laptop that isn't a Razor Blade stealth.

Reasoning is the cost of a Razor Blade stealth is $6000 and buying a cheaper laptop with a lower end graphics card paired with a dock and a high end desktop GPU will save me a lot of money and provide more versatility.

Lutfij

Titan
The fact of the matter is that the GPU used in the laptop's you've mentioned(by MSI) are crippled versions and will have slight limitations when compared to desktop pedigree GPU's(which is what will happen when you're going with the external GPU dock).

IMHO, you're best off buying the most powerful laptop you can afford with the highest grade GPU onboard(at the time). If you're a creative professional then you should look at something that has a watered down GPU built in with thunderbolt 3 connectivity and add the external GPU dock into your purchase.

It'd help us two fold if we knew what you do with your platforms(that is, what apps you tax the system's with).

DanKem06

Reputable
Feb 24, 2014

I have modified my question completely in hopes I can get some better feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.