1080 or 1080 ti

Sep 20, 2018
Solution
I wouldn't call going from a 1070 to a 1080 much of an upgrade. 1080 ti's are pretty cheap right now, cheaper than the RTX 2080 which performs about the same in any game currently out. I would personally opt for the 1080 ti assuming you have an adequate CPU and want to play the latest AAA games at 1440p and get close to 144fps.

I very much doubt 10xx cards will get any cheaper, once production stops they will if anything get more expensive. That's how it is at the end of every nvidia GPU generation I remember. Unless you buy used.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
I wouldn't call going from a 1070 to a 1080 much of an upgrade. 1080 ti's are pretty cheap right now, cheaper than the RTX 2080 which performs about the same in any game currently out. I would personally opt for the 1080 ti assuming you have an adequate CPU and want to play the latest AAA games at 1440p and get close to 144fps.

I very much doubt 10xx cards will get any cheaper, once production stops they will if anything get more expensive. That's how it is at the end of every nvidia GPU generation I remember. Unless you buy used.

Solution

MLG_No_Scope

Respectable
May 23, 2017

i'm still asking myself why they already released an new gpu with that pricetag and that performance.

not saying it is a bad thing. but why?

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

I have no idea, it is a bad thing IMO. The 2080 should perform way better in games with ray tracing when you have ray tracing enabled versus a 1080 ti in a game with ray tracing enabled. The problem is I don't think there is currently a single game out that makes good use of ray tracing.

2080 ti makes a bit more sense even at it's ridiculous pricetag. At least that performs significantly better than the 1080 ti in games that are currently out.

Ramlethal

Estimable

Because Reasons!
Nvidia's profit scheme on the same stupid chipset with some cores killed... Thats it.
I know, its stupid! But it gives money and works just fine!

2080 should be about the same level of 1080ti, if you exclude the new tech.
If you are from 1080, the next big jump is the cwazily priced 2080Ti, not the 2080.
I see actually no justification in cost upgrading any 1070 (or higher) upgrade to 2xxx.
unless...
Life is short. How many months or years do you want to wait to enjoy a new experience? You can sit around twiddling your thumbs and hoping that an RTX 2080 gets cheaper, or you can enter the world of ray-tracing and high-speed, 4K gaming today and never look back. When you die and your whole life flashes before your eyes, how much of it do you want to not have ray tracing?
Then just buy it!

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Hahaha. Made my morning.

It already has for the most part so getting a GTX 1080Ti now before they run out and the prices skyrocket would be good.