1080 p TV HDMI to HDMI connected to pc = bad quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

santais

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Hey Guys.

So I just got myself a new 40" Samsung LCD tv and want to plug it into my pc, so I'm able to watch blue ray movies in full HD on the big screen. But as usually it comes with problems. As the topic says, I'm having extremly low quality on the tv.

I'm usting a HDMI to HDMI cable. My videocard is a Geforce GTX 295, with 2x DVI ports and 1x HDMI port.
My television has 3x HDMI outputs and a DVI.

So I tried pretty much everything. Been reading several topics, where people had the exact same problem, but unfortianely none of those few answers have worked for me yet.

The picture is very distorted and the colors are flattened a lot. The text itself is eye raper, but readable. Around all the text, is some sort of white marking. No matter what resolution I set it at, it remains and so do the bad quality.

My tv is a Samsung LE44B535 Full HD 1080p.

I hope that there is some of you that know what could occur this problem, because otherwise it would be a bit of a waste of money :)

On beforehand, thanks.

santais

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

I'm 100% sure. Both Nvidia control panel and windows display manager calls it for 1920x1080.

leon2006

Distinguished
How is your PC connected to your TV HDMI, DVI, VGA, Svideo?
What Playback software are you using for Blue Ray or HD movie?

Detail your hardware and OS so you will get a more definitive response from this forum.

Getting high quality 1080P video and pc workspace in Samsung HDTV and or LCD Display is almost a sure thing. Something is "Unique" in your setup resulting to not acceptable results.

Ancient_1

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Maybe you could try another HDMI cable. I have hooked my puters up to both my 47" Philips and Samsung LN52A750 without any issues using both my i7 with HD4670 and my e8400 with both a HD2400 and a HD3870. The main reason I use ATI cards is the on card sound (to get the passthrough on my i7 I would lose a slot since it needs a riser card to use the onboard and I have plans for my one empty one now).
But with all those combination I never had any problem with a poor pic and my main PC is connected to my 47" Philips with a 25' HDMI in my bedroom.

One thing I will say is that print looks better on the Philips while everything else looks far better on the Sammy. The pic on the Sammy is just plain great playing 1080p material. I really hope you do get it figured out and once you do I am sure you will be very satisfied.

But other than trying a different HDMI cable I really can't of any solution.

santais

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

Thanks for the answer.

The cable is connected via HDMI to my TV. So it's a 2way HDMI cabel. I also tried all 3 HDMI plugs, but same result.

I don't have a blue-ray player yet, but I was hoping to by a blue-ray disc for my computer, instead of a stand-alone blue-ray player, since the one for the computer is much cheaper. And for HD movies I use windows media player. Don't really know any other free players that are just as good or better.

PC spec is:

CPU: INTEL i7 920 (SOCKET 1366) 4.8GT/sec
GPU: * 1792MB DDR3 GEFORCE GTX295 (x16 EXPRESS 2.0)
Motherboard: * GIGABYTE EX58-UD3, (INTEL X58) (x16 EXPRESS 2.0)

RAM: * 6GB DDR3 1333MHZ RAM *TRI-CHANNEL* 3x2GB KINGSTON
DVD DISC: * 22x SATA DVDBRÆNDER +/- OG DVD-RAM
PSU: * 750W "GAMING" STRØMFORSYNING, SILENT, 17DB
Hard Disc: * 1000GB SAMSUNG HARDDISK, 7200RPM, 32MB CACHE (1TERABYTE)

and my OS is Windows 7 RC build 7100. I do have Vista premium on my laptop, but unfortianely no HDMI output from my video card :/ and the screen can only run 1280x880.

I also tried switching between the Dynamic, Standard and Movie lightning option. When using movie option, I get a better picture, but then the picture is just way to dark.

TO Ancient_1:

I doubt it's the HDMI cabel, since I bought it a week ago. Beside that the signal is fine, just the picture that's awful. I also tried connecting my previous tv to my computer (however that was also my previous computer) and it worked fine. Was with a DVI output instead of HDMI to HDMI.

leon2006

Distinguished
As Ancient_1 suggested there is no harm trying another cable. How long is your cable? I'm using an 25 ft HDMI-1.3 cable. I don't have any issues with it on multiple cards. I have tried the following video cards on my 70" HDTV (& Different LCD Display) and have not issues at all at 1080p (8800GT OC 512, GTX 280 OC, ATI 3870, ATI 4870, ATI 4890 XOC).

Have you tried the DVI ports to your TV from GTX-295?

Again please reconfirm the model of your Samsung HDTV.

santais

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

Thanks for the answer :)

My cable is 5m (approx. 15 ft) long. I could try another cable, but they're just rather expensive here in Denmark, but I'll try to find one I can borrow :)

I did as you said, trying the DVI ports and it works like a charm. The perfect is perfect. But now the tv is also the only monitor running, so my computer monitor is turned off. And it was automatically also set to 1920x1080 at the moment I plugged it in.

Regarding my tv, I made a mistake writing the wrong number :) The correct model is: LE40B535, 40 instead of 44. My bad:)

But as far as I know, the HDMI solution should be a newer and better technology than the old DVI, so weird that the DVI works but not the HDMI ?

santais

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

Yes I do have a DVI to HDMI adapter. I tried pluggin it in, but still the same problem. The picture is unclear and not that good at all.

santais

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

Running at 60 hz. Also tried differen types, 50hz, 25hz, 30hz etc. no changes.

santais

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

Right, I try a new HDMI cable. I'll try to borrow one for someone :) I'll return when I tried, to see if it worked or not.

Thanks for the help leon :)

santais

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Okay so I tried with another HDMI cable, this one only 2,5 m long. Same problem still occurs. What can possible make the problem then? Could be the tv that is unfunctionel?

leon2006

Distinguished
Can you verify which setup works:

PC TV
DVI DVI @ 1080P@60HZ
1080P@24HZ
1080 30HZ
HDMI HDMI @ 1080P @ 60HZ
1080P @ 24HZ
1080 30HZ
DVI-HDMI HDMI @1080P @60HZ
1080P @ 24HZ
1080 @ 30HZ

I'm not sure of the scan freq in Europe. In my PC it list multiple settings for NTSC and PAL. PAL settings that are optional on my drivers are as follows:

1080p40 PAL, 1080p25PAL.... Your TV may be PAL... Can you try this out?

Can you confirm that your TV have DVI input. I have a hard time understanding the data sheet from web. Its non English but there is no DVI base on the datasheet that i got. Please re-confirm.

Do you have another Monitor or TV to try out your PC?

What driver version are you using? Have you use NTUNE to fine tune your setup?

Katsushiro

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2008
I would suggest that you play with the NVIDIA Control Panel. Some settings to look at:

Digital Color Format: make sure it is RGB and not YCbCr crap.
Resizing the HDTV desktop: Make sure it is not scaling or whatever.

You might also run through the Windows wizard for the ClearType settings.

These are all things that I had to fix on my ATI card and now my display looks great.

If this doesnt work I would also play with the TV's color/contrast/brightness settings (manually change each, don't be stuck with the presets). I'm doubtful that its the cable because its a DIGITAL signal. If anything is getting through then it is perfect.

santais

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

Thanks for the answer.

It seems to work with all the resolutions you wrote down.

Regarding the DVI input on my tv, it's not a DVI. It's a VGA input. So the signal is a DVI To VGA. But if it's the same signal, coming from the DVI input from my GPU as the HDMI, then it's something I can live with. The sound doesn't matter at all, since I have a sorround stereo connected to the computer.

I'm afraid that I do not have another monitor or TVt o try out, but I tried with another pc. It was a laptop with a HDMI output. The same problem occured. Low picture quality, with the 1920x1080 resolution.

I'm using the newest driver from Nvidia to GFX 295, but I do not have NTUNE to fine tune my setup. Do you think that can do the trick?

To Katsushiro.

The color format has been set to RGB. Did you use the settings on your tv or onl your GPU driver? Because the setup provided by Nvidia isn't much of a help. For instance, when trying to change the color in the settings for my tv, absolutely nothing happens. So those configurations aren't to much help :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

WTF???

Dude, you're talking in circles. Scratch HDMI and DVI, is your TV using a 15-pin Sub-D connector (VGA)? You wouldn't use DVI cable for that, you'd use a VGA cable. You would put the adapter block (DVI-I to VGA breakout) on the video card side, not the TV side. And you'd have to set your frequency correctly if the PC doesn't detect it correctly.

santais

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Yes the input on my tv is a 15-pin Sub-D Connector. Correct me if I'm wrong (which I'm most likely am), then the signal from my DVI output on the GPU is a digital signal. But since the other end of the cable is VGA, the digital is converted to a analog signal. Then inside the tv is a digital converter, which convert the analog signal again to digital signal? So perhaps I could use a DVI to VGA cable?

When I tried using the VGA cable, it automatically set the frequency to 50hz and resolution at 1920x1080, which is the exact configuration it should have. But I get a whole other picture, when using the HDMI port.

I also got an answer from Samsung. They told me that I could be my GPU, or it isn't the correct signal being sent. As mentioned earlier, I have tried with another computer and also with another HDMI cable, so that could impossible be the problem. What's the odds of 2 computer and 2 HDMI cables are not functional.

Katsushiro

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2008
Scratch the VGA connection all-together. In your original post you said you were using an HDMI cable on both ends; why would you deviate from this?

santais

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

Tried pretty much everything you guys suggested in here and it just dont seem to work. So if it works the other way around, with the same picture quality, then it would fine aswell. But of course it would make it a lot easier if the HDMI would work :)

sdf228

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
I am also experiencing the exact same problem. I have tried it on 3 different hdtv's all 42"( one samsung and 2 lg's) and 2 different ATI cards a new 4850 and new 4850x2 in 2 completely different computers that were new. I made sure all the setting were at 1980x 1080 both on the computers and the tv's are all 1080P. On all of the tv's they have VGA ports and 3 or 4 hdmi ports. The hdmi works wonderful when using an Xbox for HD quality but when I try to use the DVI to HDMI adapter with the cards it gives me a absolutely horrible image no matter what I change or do. On all 3 of the tv's and both computers with different cards the VGA port (if I use a dvi to vga adapter) works perfectly and the screens are perfectly clear. The only reason I am interested in using the HDMI is I am hoping for a better image but I am not sure if it can even get any better then the VGA one because it looks about perfect. I figure there is just some setting I am missing somewhere on all of these instances that needs to be changed in order for it to come out atleast as good as the VGA is. I have read about 12 forums now of people with these problems and people that have no problem at all and still no one has yet to give a definate answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS