Question 1080 Ti causes PC to reboot when gaming ?

Vizionz

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2014
(NEW GPU CAUSES SYSTEM TO REBOOT--- ONLY WHEN PLAYING CS???)
Just installed a 1080ti into my brothers pc, the card randomly powered down the system one time when we installed it but I assumed it was because the fans weren't spinning. I later found that the fans won't spin under load.
Anyways the card is working fine (as far as I can tell) only problem is the computer reboots when playing CS:GO (specifically right when loading into a server). CS is the only game causes these random reboots. No BSOD or anything just a reboot.

I've monitored the GPU/CPU temps and usages and I don't see anything concerning.
Note: I also tested this card in my PC and had no problems at all, including playing CS 30min + with no crash.

Things I've tried:
  • validate game files
  • reinstall CS
  • rolled back drivers

The biggest culprit has to be the PSU, 600w is cutting it close and these reboots make me feel like something isn't right with the PSU.
However, if it IS a PSU problem wouldn't these reboots happen during other games?? CS:GO is the only game causing these reboots.

I'm most likely going to fac reset my brothers pc, as well as run some more tests with the 1080ti in my system to see if I can get any errors.

Specs:
i5-9600k
Asus z390 a-pro
Corsair 16gb ram
Asus Strix 1080ti
EVGA 600w B

Dec 28, 2022
My brother recently had the same problem with his prebuilt dell computer. The dell support guy did a few Nvidia settings things and that worked for a while. Then we just reinstalled windows without any dell bloatware. It sped up the computer and it stopped crashing after he loaded into games. Before trying that maybe you can just try installing afterburner and putting the fans at a set speed to see if they still turn off under load. If so most likely a hardware issue (graphics card or PSU.)