Question 1080 Ti crashes completely (within 30 seconds to 5 minutes) of playing a game ?

Dec 12, 2022
Hey, been having an issue lately where my GPU crashes completely a few minutes into playing a game. First the game itself would only crash, I could alt-tab into other applications with no issues, but after installing new drivers to try and fix it, my whole GPU will crash (screen goes black, GPU fans suddenly go on full blast) and I have to force shutdown in order to use my PC again. I don't really know why its happening. I ran a furmark test with no issues on QHD, would get an avg of 110 fps (ran it for about 20 minutes). The 2 games I tried and would cause crashes are DOOM 2016 and Aperture Desk Job, both which a 1080 Ti should have no issues running. Before the gpu crashes, nothing of note happens, my FPS are stable at ~110fps, no stuttering. I logged my gpu with gpu-z and everything looks nominal before the crash: 63 C Temp, 47% utilization, 145W draw from GPU with 190W drawn from the mobo. Nothing seems wrong with the CPU as well.
Looking at the Event Viewer, I've found:

Code:
A TDR has been detected.

The application must close.

Error code: 7

(pid=12104 tid=9988 doomx64.exe 64bit)

Visit [url=http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3633]http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3633[/url] for more information.

Code:
Unable to recover from a kernel exception. The application must close.

Error code: 3 (subcode 7)
(pid=3472 tid=8044 doomx64.exe 64bit)

Code:
The program deskjob.exe version 0.0.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
Process ID: 3de4
Start Time: 01d90dcf6cdfc097
Termination Time: 4294967295
Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Aperture Desk Job\game\bin\win64\deskjob.exe
Report Id: 7029ad7e-3537-49d7-b3b6-170d4ce89d8c
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Hang type: Top level window is idle

Code:
The description for Event ID 1 from source NVIDIA OpenGL Driver cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

A TDR has been detected.

Code:
(pid=13720 tid=13908 doomx64.exe 64bit)

Visit [url=http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3633]http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3633[/url] for more information.

The resource loader failed to find MUI file

A lot of these mention a TDR which I believe has a time window of ~2 seconds, but as I mentioned there is no stuttering of any sort. One moment I'm running and blasting a shotgun and a moment later the GPU crashes, so not sure how this is the issue.

Things I've tried:
  • Installing newest drivers with Geforce Experience
  • Using DDU for clean installation
  • Installing newest drivers without Geforce Experience
  • Reseating the GPU
  • Limiting my refresh rate to 60Hz and updating amd chipset drivers. Was able to play for 25 minutes but GPU ended up crashing anyways (not just game this time, the whole gpu, black screen and fans on blast)
My specs:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor 3.50 GHz
  • 16.0 GB RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Any help would be appreciated

Last edited:
Hey, been having an issue lately where my GPU crashes completely a few minutes into playing a game. First the game itself would only crash, I could alt-tab into other applications with no issues, but after installing new drivers to try and fix it, my whole GPU will crash (screen goes black, GPU fans suddenly go on full blast) and I have to force shutdown in order to use my PC again. I don't really know why its happening. I ran a furmark test with no issues on QHD, would get an avg of 110 fps (ran it for about 20 minutes). The 2 games I tried and would cause crashes are DOOM 2016 and Aperture Desk Job, both which a 1080 Ti should have no issues running. Before the gpu crashes, nothing of note happens, my FPS are stable at ~110fps, no stuttering. I logged my gpu with gpu-z and everything looks nominal before the crash: 63 C Temp, 47% utilization, 145W draw from GPU with 190W drawn from the mobo. Nothing seems wrong with the CPU as well.
Looking at the Event Viewer, I've found:

Code:
A TDR has been detected.

(pid=12104 tid=9988 doomx64.exe 64bit)

Code:
Unable to recover from a kernel exception. The application must close.

Error code: 3 (subcode 7)
(pid=3472 tid=8044 doomx64.exe 64bit)

Code:
The program deskjob.exe version 0.0.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
Process ID: 3de4
Start Time: 01d90dcf6cdfc097
Termination Time: 4294967295
Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Aperture Desk Job\game\bin\win64\deskjob.exe
Report Id: 7029ad7e-3537-49d7-b3b6-170d4ce89d8c
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Hang type: Top level window is idle

Code:
The description for Event ID 1 from source NVIDIA OpenGL Driver cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

A TDR has been detected.

Code:
(pid=13720 tid=13908 doomx64.exe 64bit)

The resource loader failed to find MUI file

A lot of these mention a TDR which I believe has a time window of ~2 seconds, but as I mentioned there is no stuttering of any sort. One moment I'm running and blasting a shotgun and a moment later the GPU crashes, so not sure how this is the issue.

Things I've tried:
  • Installing newest drivers with Geforce Experience
  • Using DDU for clean installation
  • Installing newest drivers without Geforce Experience
  • Reseating the GPU
  • Limiting my refresh rate to 60Hz and updating amd chipset drivers. Was able to play for 25 minutes but GPU ended up crashing anyways (not just game this time, the whole gpu, black screen and fans on blast)
My specs:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor 3.50 GHz
  • 16.0 GB RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Any help would be appreciated
Is your bios upto date and running uefi not legacy?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Black screen, INCLUDING full blast fans are usually a power-related issue, either on the psu, or the gpu's power delivery system - maybe both.
[There are other problems out there where the symptom is black screen, but gpu fans don't go full blast.]
About all Furmark is good for is testing the gpu's cooler. The load it applies is too steady for in game behavior; steady loads are easier on the power delivery systems than constantly changing ones.

Make and model of the psu? How long it's been in service?

Reactions: white.a.drew
Dec 12, 2022
Black screen, INCLUDING full blast fans are usually a power-related issue, either on the psu, or the gpu's power delivery system - maybe both.
[There are other problems out there where the symptom is black screen, but gpu fans don't go full blast.]
About all Furmark is good for is testing the gpu's cooler. The load it applies is too steady for in game behavior; steady loads are easier on the power delivery systems than constantly changing ones.

Make and model of the psu? How long it's been in service?

Not sure how long the psu has been in service, I bought it used. It's an EVGA Supernova 750 G2, 80+ Gold 750W. Thing is, the screen going black and all fans going on full blast happens sometimes. Sometimes, the game just crashes with no previous warning, but I can Ctl-Alt-Del to close the frozen game and go back to web browsing or whatever, so could it be a PS issue?

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022
The psu is good. The 2nd hand part is an unknown.

Now that symptom, is software/driver.
So you have multiple things happening here.
Could it be a hardware issue with the GPU i.e. it's busted? I've tried a lot of things with software/drivers. DDU to clean drivers, tried different installation methods for the drivers, updated my AMD chipset, changed my version of windows, etc

Dec 12, 2022
I'm going to say the GPU is on its way out.
Yea, this is what I'm worried about, I'm trying everything though because I just bought it. What's the best thing to do with a dead-ish GPU? I'm thinking of selling it for ~$100 while making it clear that it can't run games, not sure if there are better things to do with it

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Furmark is good for nothing more than a cooling test. Actual games are more stressful.
Crash to desktop can be from unstable manual or factory core clock overclock, outdated or incompatible drivers, missing game files, cracked games...

Could it be a hardware issue with the GPU i.e.
Like I said earlier about the black screen to full fan symptom: psu or gpu power delivery, or both - that's hardware.

Dec 12, 2022
Before trying all the above steps, I tried another GPU which I know works. No issues at all since then. Probably just means a busted gpu right?

TRENDING THREADS