Question 1080 Ti crashing during benchmarks after installing new cooler?

Sep 21, 2021
So i originally had a Dell 1080 Ti but it had incredibly bad thermals. I installed an ID-COOLING Iceflow GPU cooler, and temps are now incredibly low even on load (around 37c). However, when I run a benchmark, it crashes about a minute in. I'm starting to think that this is because of the voltage, as clockspeeds have been somehow automatically lifted when
omegle xender I put on the cooler. Originally, clockspeeds were around 1300mhz or something, and they went up to 1600mhz after the install. Maybe it's drawing enough power to go past the 100% power limit in MSI afterburner. Could someone please tell me what to do? will decreasing clockspeeds work? will upping the power limit be safe?

Last edited:
So i originally had a Dell 1080 Ti but it had incredibly bad thermals. I installed an ID-COOLING Iceflow GPU cooler, and temps are now incredibly low even on load (around 37c). However, when I run a benchmark, it crashes about a minute in. I'm starting to think that this is because of the voltage, as clockspeeds have been somehow automatically lifted when I put on the cooler. Originally, clockspeeds were around 1300mhz or something, and they went up to 1600mhz after the install. Maybe it's drawing enough power to go past the 100% power limit in MSI afterburner. Could someone please tell me what to do? will decreasing clockspeeds work? will upping the power limit be safe?
you could try either increase the powerlimit and voltage or lock the voltage and do 1450mhz (lock volt and underclock)

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I think:
A)The cooler was over-tightened.

B)The improvement in thermals 'unlocked' a bunch of higher boost bins, but the power supply can't actually handle those higher bins, so it crashes.
When it ran hotter, it didn't boost as high, thus didn't pull as much power.

GDDR5X memory can be cooled just fine on air - have good chassis airflow.
Pads and heatsinks on them are ok, but not a necessity, unlike with GDDR6 and R6X.

ASK THE COMMUNITY