[SOLVED] 1080 Ti doesn't work consistently (major FPS drops after boot or wake-up) ?

Jan 21, 2022
Hey!

I've been having an odd issue recently - checked a lot of threads and looked online and couldn't find much. When the PC sleeps or gets booted up, the 1080ti doesnt seem to power up properly. FPS on the heaven benchmark is around 15FPS. If I keep using the computer normally, it keeps underperforming and there's a weird pulsing static noise that comes through the headset too.

If I open up the heaven benchmark two or three times in a row, it then starts performing well - averaging over 100FPS. The static buzz sound is also mostly gone, but still happens rarely, like one buzz every few minutes.

I don't know what the issue could be - I don't understand why it wouldn't perform properly unless I run heaven benchmark a couple of times to get it going. This has been happening for the past few months, and wasn't an issue before.

Specs:
asus rog strix gtx1080ti gpu
i7 7700K (delidded, using thermal grizzly conductonaut liquid metal) cpu
gigabyte z270x motherboard
corsair vengeance 16gb ram
nzxt kraken x52 liquid cooling
corsair RM650X psu

Any help is super appreciated.

Solution
Try looking at the voltages and power information using GPUZ. Use the sensor tab and monitor the power usage, draw etc to see if there are any obvious signs of trouble while running Heave n benchmark. I would try to reinstall or update the gpu driver. That is the least invasive thing to try first.
Try looking at the voltages and power information using GPUZ. Use the sensor tab and monitor the power usage, draw etc to see if there are any obvious signs of trouble while running Heave n benchmark. I would try to reinstall or update the gpu driver. That is the least invasive thing to try first.

Solution