1080 ti FE: Additional heat vs loud(er) Fan. Which poison to pick?

puggy718

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
Hey everyone,

I just purchased a 1080 ti FE directly from Nvidia. This thing is a beast. Overall, it's tough to find anything negative to say about a card as capable as this one. However, I was a little concerned with how hot this thing gets under load (Mine was getting up to the well documented 84°C), so I decided to tinker with the fan settings in MSI Afterburner to try and keep the card a bit cooler, as well as OC it a bit (Not that this monster really needs OC'ing).

My temps under full load are now pretty decent. I never get above 69°C. However, the fan is now very loud. Much louder than my 980 ti's fan was under similar stress, and louder than it was under the default settings. It sounds like it's under a fair amount stress and I'm a bit worried about it.

Is this a question of robbing Peter to pay Paul? Am I trying to save my card from the detrimental, long term effects of additional heat only to kill it a different way by overworking its fan?

What do you guys think?

Cool is nice, but such cards are designed to tolerate heat.
I would focus first on your case cooling, particularly on the front intake side.

What is your case, and cpu?
How are you cooling your cpu.

I recently installed the GTX1080ti FE and am very pleased. I do not hear it at all.

puggy718

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012

I have an Alienware Area 51 R2. Overall, my thermals are pretty solid. This case gets good airflow, and even the 1080 ti idles around 28°C. My cpu (I7 5820k OC'd to 4ghz)) is water cooled, and temps from all other internal censors never deviate from the 25°-30°C range.

The fan isn't that bad on default settings. It's louder than the 980 ti was, but only slightly more. It was only when I decided to crank the fan up a bit in Afterburner to help keep the 1080 ti a little cooler that it became louder. So it boils down to which is preferable: cooler temps and a potentially overworked fan, or higher temps and less stress on the fan (and any other components effected by its vibrations).

puggy718

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
I'm genuinely curious: Has anyone here been able to OC their 1080 ti FE's while keep fan noise at a minimum?

krells

Distinguished
Unfortunately the reference style blower coolers aren't the best at removing all the heat the cards produce without high (loud) fan profiles. That is why they adjust the boost clock so much to lower the temperatures. If you want a quiet overclocked card with a stable boost clock you really need one of the 3rd party designs with a custom air cooler.

TRENDING THREADS