Aug 4, 2019
I'm running a Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti with a i7 8700k, on 1440p monitor. On most games I will usually average between 80-120fps, however I have been running into a strange issue. For a seeming unknown reason, my fps will drop from the above mentioned rates to 60ish fps and then finally to as low as 20 or 30 fps. It's very bizarre because the core and memory clock rates don't drop and neither does my cpu clock. The only change I can see in Afterburner is that my power use % seems to drop with my fps and my voltage limit kicks on at the same time. I'm powering this system with a 650w PSU and I'm wondering if that is what is the cause of my throttling?

I have RMA'd the card, and it was sent back with no problems detected. I have reinstalled drivers and Windows. I have even swapped in my older 980 card, which runs without issue with my current config. Yet this problem still persists.

If anyone has any other suggestion besides just getting a more powerful PSU, I am all ears.

Edit 1: 8800k --> 8700k

Last edited:
Solution
what is a 8800k..?
do you mean 8700k?
the 650w of your psu should be enough
the psu could have other problems tho

what youre looking at is low minimum fps and normal average/peaks

the list of things that can do that is so large I cant list it all

psu not working
maybe the cpu is seeded just a touch not correctly
maybe your ram is slowing your pc
drivers
bios configimajigre
cooling
on board bios (of the gpu) accidentally making it throttle on power
or worse, making it draw too much
defect pcie power cable
the pcie slot gone bad
an nvme ssd or network card hogging the pcie bandwidth

I would try cmos clearing maybe
if not that, try a different power supply
maybe borrow one from a friend or smthn
an i7 8700k and gtx 1080 ti wont...
what is a 8800k..?
do you mean 8700k?

psu not working
maybe the cpu is seeded just a touch not correctly
maybe your ram is slowing your pc
drivers
bios configimajigre
cooling
on board bios (of the gpu) accidentally making it throttle on power
or worse, making it draw too much
defect pcie power cable
the pcie slot gone bad
an nvme ssd or network card hogging the pcie bandwidth

an i7 8700k and gtx 1080 ti wont actually need more than 500w if not overclocked
(yes, a 650w psu is a must for those, but if you need something for testing/temporary a 500w will work nicely)

Solution
Aug 4, 2019
what is a 8800k..?
do you mean 8700k?

1. psu not working
  2. maybe the cpu is seeded just a touch not correctly
  3. maybe your ram is slowing your pc
  4. drivers
  5. bios configimajigre
  6. cooling
  7. on board bios (of the gpu) accidentally making it throttle on power or worse, making it draw too much
  8. defect pcie power cable
  9. the pcie slot gone bad
  10. an nvme ssd or network card hogging the pcie bandwidth
an i7 8700k and gtx 1080 ti wont actually need more than 500w if not overclocked
(yes, a 650w psu is a must for those, but if you need something for testing/temporary a 500w will work nicely)
I miss typed 8800k instead of 8700k, just corrected that to avoid any future confusion.

I also agree that my 650w should be more than sufficient, as the max draw according to pc partpicker is less than 500w.

As far as the possible issues you have listed, I think we can eliminate 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, and 10 is not applicable. I'm running a SSD, but its SATA.

I will try a cmos clear and see if that helps.
I also found another PSU I can test with, I will see if it changes anything.

The weird part about all this to me, is that I can drop in my 980 and get all the appropriate drivers ready and the system runs fine. Albeit at a lower FPS, but no throttling issue. Its very weird and not something I have ever experienced.

Edit 1: One thing I'd like to mention in regards to "what youre looking at is low minimum fps and normal average/peaks ." I can load up a game, let say Tomb Raider, and get to the menu, my realtime FPS will be 100+ fps. I play the game and slowly see the realtime fps drop lower and lower until it becomes unplayable. I'll quit out of the game and relaunch and return to the menu, where before I would 100+ fps it will go no higher than 40 fps. Again a very weird issue I have never seen, it almost seems like a memory leak or something but then you throw in the power use % drop coinciding with the voltage limit and fps drop. The issue can be temporarily resolved by rebooting, but will happen again as I play through a game.

Last edited: