Question 1080 ti frame rate drop and 100% GPU usage when reaching 68 degrees Celsius

Oct 2, 2020
Hi,

I've had this problem for quite some time.
When I start a game, my GPU is working fine - I have a stable 60FPS with a normal GPU usage.
until my GPU reaches 68c. then, the GPU usage becomes 100% and the frame rate drastically drops to 20-30.
CPU usage before and after the frame rate drop is similar.

after this state is reached, it stays that way until I reboot my computer.

previously, I just played with the fan curve using MSI afterburner such that my GPU never reached 68c. but I understand that 68c is a perfectly normal GPU temperature usually. so perhaps I'll find my solution here.

my specs:
GPU: 1080 ti Aorus Xtreme edition 11G
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700k
MB: Z270 Aorus Gaming 7
Memory: 32GB Corsair Vengeance @2400 MHz
M.2 SSD: Intel 660p

Thanks in advance.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Gpu temps and utilisation is fine, im more worried about the cpu. High cpu usage is more of a worry and can cause it to starve the graphics card of frames. What's your cpu idle usage, temps and speed when it is nearing or at 100? Is Hyperthreading on?

What game ya playing?

Oct 2, 2020
My idle CPU temperature is about 40c.
Hyperthreading is on.

before the frame rate drop, the CPU load is 25-30%, with 50-55c temperatures
after the frame rate drop, the CPU load is 15-20%, with no change in temperatures (50-55c)

the numbers are from "A plague tale innocence" but the frame rate drop happens for every demanding game once the GPU hits the 68c temperature.

if I keep my GPU at low temperatures by setting my fans to max speed before it gets to 60c, I never see this frame rate drop - but it gets pretty noisy...

Oct 2, 2020
when turning Hyperthreading off, the CPU temperature is the same as previously, and the CPU usage is ~40% before the frame rate drop and ~25% after.

I do see, however, that the drop happens at around 72-73c when HT is disabled.