1080 ti not fitting!!

Flacker

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016
Well crap, I just bought a 1080 ti EVGA ftw3 and it doesn't fit my x370 Crosshair IV. there's an audio shield/shroud stopping the card from seating properly! Should I cut the bottom part of the Shroud off so I can at least keep the top RGB part and seat the card properly?? Anyone else have bright ideas? Another question is does the shroud come off?

Solution
If it's just a plastic cover and not providing any function other than aesthetics, then I'd remove it. Assuming it's held in with screws and not glued on or soldered on the board itself.

As for cutting. Yeah, no. Way too risky in nicking a trace. That's a sure way to kill the board.

Flacker

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016
Update : the Shroud in question is one whole piece. I was hoping that the audio shroud part of it was separate but the I/O ports and the audio protection shield are all one piece!
TIME TO HACK.....SAW.

If a part seems to need cutting to fit, I am always wary that I have something wrong.
Such a design defect should not be there.

Flacker

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016
You're right and I thought that so myself.
Although I did some research, multiple people are having problem fitting 1080ti in asus boards. I just fit everything together my 1080ti is now fitting completely properly I just need to reassemble and boot.

stdragon

Admirable
If it's just a plastic cover and not providing any function other than aesthetics, then I'd remove it. Assuming it's held in with screws and not glued on or soldered on the board itself.

As for cutting. Yeah, no. Way too risky in nicking a trace. That's a sure way to kill the board.

Solution

Flacker

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016
Removed it and did some relatively non-destructive hack sawing. I could probably send in this motherboard and Asus won't even notice the cut I did mwahahaaa

stdragon

Admirable
I hate it when MB vendor pull that garbage. They design a MB with all the features and functions you want, and then they do something bone-headed like putting a shroud, capacitor, or the USB3 case header right next to the CPU to where you can't use an over-sized heat-sink.

I guess that's why it's called "MODding".

File this under #hackjob

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016
Mercedes once fitted an oversized accelerator pedal to its Sprinter vans; the pedal fouled the wheel arch, so could only be depressed about 30% of the way.

On the flat it wasnt an issue, but up hill it got sloooooooooow.