Question 1080 Ti not showing up in apps except Device Manager (with code 43), can't install Nvidia drivers or run GPU-intensive stuff, runs MS basic driver

pirx_the_pilot

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014
Hi folks, please advise me on how to deal with my likely faulty GPU.

Preamble.
It’s an ASUS 1080 Ti (STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING). Before the issue occurred, it had been running flawlessly for a few days (less than a week in use) in all scenarios – benchmarks, games, videos, etc. Then, enter code “broccoli”.

The issue.
I started getting crashes with code “broccoli” after a few minutes into Destiny 2 sessions. The code implies there’s an issue with the graphics card. This “broccoli” seems to be a common issue among Destiny 2 players. After that I tried launching some other modern games, like BF1, and they either wouldn’t start or be lagging heavily. I went to the Device Manager and some GPU-related apps like GF Experience, ASUS Aura or MSI Afterburner to check it.

So here’s the current state:
  • The card is not showing up in GF Experience/ASUS Aura/Afterburner/BIOS/at PC startup.
  • I can’t install its drivers – neither via GFE nor from a standalone file. The installation procedure gets seemingly completed but then nothing changes in GFE, I’ve still got the options in GFE as if the drivers is not installed.
  • It is displayed in Device Manager (the only place I can see it mentioned), but shows code 43 and runs Microsoft basic display driver.
  • My monitor is still connected via this card, and it produces a normal image, but I can’t run any graphics-intensive stuff like games – it will either not start, or will lag badly, as if I was running it via the integrated GPU core.
  • Its lighting is on but can’t be controlled and runs in the standard mode.
So it’s effectively dead, but not entirely..?

What I’ve tried to fix it:
  • Removing the drivers via DDU and reinstalling from scratch – no good.
  • Unplugging the PC, removing the card and the BIOS battery, holding the power button – no good.
  • Putting the card into an older PC but using the same PSU. It would start up and POST, but right after that it would display some random green lines and dots on a black background, like artifacts. So, an even worse situation with the old PC.

How come it's still producing an image if it's dead? When my last GPU died, it wouldn't display anything. IIRC, the PC wouldn't even start up properly.

Are there any other troubleshooting steps I should take? Also, if it's a hardware issue, is it even remotely possible to repair it at a service center?

Thanks in advance!

pirx_the_pilot

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014
Oh, sure, my bad.

MB: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (WiFi)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850W
CPU: Intel i9-9900K
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 TI 11GB OC Edition
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB, 2x8 GB (F4-3200C14D-16GTZR)
CPU cooling: Corsair H150i PRO RGB

Last edited:
It's a GPU problem for sure. Your PSU is more than capable and of good quality, your CPU and motherboard are new and nothing suggests that they are problematic and you already tried another PC. Since you tried most of the things I would suggest, the best thing you can do is to return the GPU and get a new one (if it's still under warranty ).

pirx_the_pilot

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014
Thank you for your reply. I suspected as much, but still had a tiny glimmer of hope that it's a software issue somehow. Unfortunately, I can't really use the warranty (even though it's still valid) since I purchased the card in another country, and ASUS only provides local warranty for GPUs. Probably gonna take it to a local service shop for diagnostics and repair if possible.

I know it does seem a lot of trouble but I would suggest to send it back to the country you bought it from and have it repaired/ replaced even if it costs a lot to send. You should not try and fix it locally as there is no guarantee that it will be fixed and might make things worse and void your warranty.

pirx_the_pilot

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014
I would, but there're two more denying factors. First, I purchased it via a third-party company. Basically, it cost quite a bit less than in my country, but the store doesn't ship to my location, hence the mediator. So technically I'm not the one who purchased it, at least not as the store would see it. Second, the store (Newegg) only accepts returns for items within 30 days from the date of purchase. After this period I have to contact the manufacturer. That's what their support told me. So my only option now is to contact the manufacturer - which I will tomorrow - but they will likely say that the warranty is local, and there's nothing that I can do. This is the reverse side of buying cheaper items in another country and via a third party.

Your GPU might be faulty, but before we jump on any conclusion, can you TEST the Video card on some other PC ? Also, are you on a FRESH Windows OS install ? IF not, then try doing a clean format of your SSD/HDD, if need be.

Error code 43 can be reported anytime when Windows does not recognize a device – whether it's a USB port, Hard drive, video card/GPU, or any other piece of hardware connected to the computer. Most of the time, error code 43 means that a device driver is either missing, corrupt, and/or outdated (so Windows has problems communicating properly with the hardware), or the hardware is faulty and needs to be replaced.

This error code points out that the Hardware might also be defective, which is the GPU. But before we jump to any conclusion, check the card on some other PC as well.

What's the make/model number of your MOBO ? Can you properly boot your current system/OS, by using the 'Integrated Graphics processor' of your current Motherboard, assuming your board supports it ? Do you still get the same error ? And, what about SAFE MODE ?

Last edited:

pirx_the_pilot

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014
Thank you for you reply! As I mentioned in my original post, I've tried putting the card into an older PC but using the same PSU. It would start up and POST, but right after that it would display some random green lines and dots on a black background, like artifacts. So, I couldn't even get into the OS to start testing it.

My motherboard is the ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (WiFi). I haven't tried booting the system with the integrated GPU since I don't have the right cable to connect my monitor via the mobo video interface, but I should get the cable tomorrow and will switch to the integrated graphics. I expect it to work alright though, can't see why it wouldn't. Or do you mean to try and boot via the integrated graphics but with the dedicated GPU still fully connected to the system?

I haven't tried safe mode yet.

Last edited:

pirx_the_pilot

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014
Hi Metal Messiah,

I'm back with an update on my system. I've connected the monitor via the iGPU, with the faulty dedicated GPU still installed and powered from the PSU. The 1080 Ti still behaves the same - it's not visible anywhere except the Device Manager, and it's blinking it's lights in standard mode. It's still showing code 43 in DM.

The iGPU has also appeared in the Device Manager (also in Afterburner). In DM it shows as Intel UHD Graphics 630, working properly.

s66otv.jpg

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Hello, thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Okay, it looks like the GPU might be faulty/defective, but I have one doubt in my mind. Why does the DM display the "proper" name of the GPU, if the system is booting via iGPU, or otherwise ? You told you were unable to install the GPU drivers before, but it seems the driver might have been installed somehow, ELSE, the entry in the DM should not display the proper name of the GPU, GTX 1080 Ti, IMO.

If drivers are NOT installed, then it will just show up as "Microsoft Basic Windows Adapter" under the Device Manager. But since the entry is having a YELLOW triangle exclamation mark next to it, then I think the card might be faulty then.

By the way, did you install some other device or make a change in Device Manager just before the Code 43 error first appeared? Also, In some cases, an outdated system BIOS might also be the cause of this Code 43 error, making it report an issue to Windows.

Jun 3, 2019
Hey, just FYI.
I was dealing with poor overall performance since last Wednesday. All the components were highly affected working at 20 - 30% of the expectation.

Long story short... After 2 factory reset, that issue was the lasted driver from Nvidia released on May 27th.
I didn't read your complete case (no time right now) but just wanted to share this with you very quickly.

ROG GU501
i7 8750H
GTX 1060

Good luck.

pirx_the_pilot

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014
Thanks for getting back on this. Actually, the driver installation procedure itself went properly - it finished without any error messages and prompted to restart the system. But the driver wouldn't show as installed in GFE, I only had the options of express and custom installation - as if the driver hadn't been installed.

Also, I didn't install any other devices after I built the system, and I updated my mobo's BIOS to the latest version available from ASUS.

A strong indicator of this being a hardware issue is probably the fact that it displays artifacts on another PC - it won't even load into the OS.