1080 Ti or Gaming Monitor?

hughm2

Prominent
Oct 7, 2017
I could eitger get my pc build and a 1080 Ti as tge gpu or my pc build with a gtx 10603gb, the corsair strafe rgb, the steelseries qck mass mouse pad and a 164hz 1440p monitor with g-sync. Wich should I get?

Solution
Monitor first before GPU.

Reason: Monitors have a longer "lifespan" than GPUs (which is updated by Nvidia/AMD at a faster rate).

Getting a very powerful GTX 1080Ti paired with a mediocre monitor (for example, 1080p 60Hz) is overkill and not worth it. This means you cannot take advantage of the capabilities of such GPU because the monitor is the one hindering the GPU max. possible performance. Furthermore, if you shell out most of the budget for an expensive GTX 1080Ti without a suitable monitor, it may take you a long time before you can get an equally-expensive monitor. During such waiting time, your GTX 1080Ti would have significantly decreased in value (not to mention, cannot maximize its potential), and a lot of better GPUs...
Monitor first before GPU.

Reason: Monitors have a longer "lifespan" than GPUs (which is updated by Nvidia/AMD at a faster rate).

Getting a very powerful GTX 1080Ti paired with a mediocre monitor (for example, 1080p 60Hz) is overkill and not worth it. This means you cannot take advantage of the capabilities of such GPU because the monitor is the one hindering the GPU max. possible performance. Furthermore, if you shell out most of the budget for an expensive GTX 1080Ti without a suitable monitor, it may take you a long time before you can get an equally-expensive monitor. During such waiting time, your GTX 1080Ti would have significantly decreased in value (not to mention, cannot maximize its potential), and a lot of better GPUs would have been released or would have been made available when the time comes you will be getting the monitor. As such, you'd probably be forced to "upgrade" again your GPU to a better one in the future (esp. if gaming requirments become higher).

Solution

jtnoble321

Honorable
Nov 14, 2015
Play it by the games you play.

If you're playing a lot of high fps games that you don't need high quality on (games like CS:GO and maybe Overwatch) then you will want the monitor.
If you play any simulations or battle royale style games (PUBG, Forza, etc.) then get a better graphics card.

A better gaming monitor isn't going to matter if you're playing games that your graphics card cannot run at high FPS.

EquineHero

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 6, 2015
Personally I'd rather have a better GPU with a mediocre monitor. I've got three 100Hz monitors, my 1070 does all of them very well - but I have my framerate locked at 60.

Won't notice frame dips if there aren't any.