Question 1080 ti preforming terrible

Apr 12, 2019
Hello I have a gtx 1080 ti and it was great, but one day it randomly started to preform terribly, I started getting worse FPS in games than my friends with 1060s who also never close any apps. So I ran a benchmark that I knew I used to get at least 80 FPS in and I got 20! Also everything seems to use 100% of the gpu, even the lightest load games, even using chrome uses 100% at times.

I have updated windows, my drivers, turn off applications, I have looked for a virus and found none, I have stared at task manager for hours and switched on and off settings in windows and games but nothing seems to be the fix. I would really like some help

computerjoe314

Respectable
Jan 2, 2019
Hello I have a gtx 1080 ti and it was great, but one day it randomly started to preform terribly, I started getting worse FPS in games than my friends with 1060s who also never close any apps. So I ran a benchmark that I knew I used to get at least 80 FPS in and I got 20! Also everything seems to use 100% of the gpu, even the lightest load games, even using chrome uses 100% at times.

I have updated windows, my drivers, turn off applications, I have looked for a virus and found none, I have stared at task manager for hours and switched on and off settings in windows and games but nothing seems to be the fix. I would really like some help
What is the EXACT model of your Graphics Card, Power Supply, Motherboard, Ram, and CPU?

Are the temperatures okay?

Apr 12, 2019
Evga SC2 1080 ti
16 gb trident G.skill ram
Gigabyte aorus gaming 7 motherboard
Corsair AX1200i
Intel 7200x

My temperature never went above 73.C, however for some reason it performed much better today, I turned off gsync and it is performing more like normal. I don’t know if this is just me. My benchmark was double what it was last time.

Apr 12, 2019
Never mind it is still happening just not all the time, a restart fixes it temporarily sometimes. My thermals are completely fine, overclocking my GPU increases my FPS but not to how it normally would. I would apressiate any help.

Check your gpu usage when your system is idle-does it seem like its under load when it shouldn't be? If so then there's something using up resources-first thought would be a mining malware-try running a scan using MalwareBytes and see what it comes up with.

Apr 12, 2019
The GPU seems fine idle and no processes seem to be taking up much power even when the it is preforming badly (I deleted some .exe files just in case). I also noticed that the house fluctuates a lot going from 50% utalization to 10% utilization quickly when there is no change and that it was generally not using much. The thermals were fine and nothing seemed to be wrong other than the GPU seeming to just be lazy. I ran a virus scan with bitdefender and found nothing.