[SOLVED] 1080 Ti reaching 88 degrees Celsius ?

Charseza

Honorable
May 26, 2015
So I recently bought a used GTX 1080 Ti from a friend, he was the first owner of the card bought way back in a reputable pc store in 2017.

I have no problems with its performance but the thing that's bothering me is that its peak temp at full load (when I say full load, I meant gaming in ultra settings 2k resolution) is 88 Degrees Celsius.

Now I know this is a powerful card, and I haven't had experience with powerful gpus such as this so I'm not sure if 88 degrees is "normal" for strong GPUs.

For anyone asking, these are my specs :

i5-8400 Intel
H310m-DS2 Gigabyte
Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11GB GDDR5X
2x8GB 2133mhz DDR4 Memory
Corsair CX650m Semi Modular Power Supply
Inplay 240ax AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
7 Case fans, 3 Intake at the bottom (near gpu where a psu shroud should be), 3 Exhaust at the side, 1 exhaust at the usual exhaust fan slot beside the mobo io, and of course 2 exhaust fans at the top, mounted to the radiator
Coolman Robin 3 Case

I'm not quite sure how
Ask your friend if he knows how, or watch this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCBzhZlzFoE
Wipe the thermal paste on the gpu die and the heatsink with isopropyl alcohol (70% is also fine), and apply the thermal paste. then screw them back together, or bring it to a pc technician and give the thermal paste you bought and let him do the job.

Reactions: Phaaze88
So I recently bought a used GTX 1080 Ti from a friend, he was the first owner of the card bought way back in a reputable pc store in 2017.

I have no problems with its performance but the thing that's bothering me is that its peak temp at full load (when I say full load, I meant gaming in ultra settings 2k resolution) is 88 Degrees Celsius.

Now I know this is a powerful card, and I haven't had experience with powerful gpus such as this so I'm not sure if 88 degrees is "normal" for strong GPUs.

For anyone asking, these are my specs :

i5-8400 Intel
H310m-DS2 Gigabyte
Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11GB GDDR5X
2x8GB 2133mhz DDR4 Memory
Corsair CX650m Semi Modular Power Supply
Inplay 240ax AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
7 Case fans, 3 Intake at the bottom (near gpu where a psu shroud should be), 3 Exhaust at the side, 1 exhaust at the usual exhaust fan slot beside the mobo io, and of course 2 exhaust fans at the top, mounted to the radiator
Coolman Robin 3 Case

By 3 exhaust at the side, do you mean that you have three fans at the front of your tower exhausting air out of the case? Because if that's what you're doing, the front of your tower is usually where an intake is supposed to be.

For most ordinary ATX builds, air is supposed to be sucked in the front/bottom of your tower and exhausted out the back/top of your tower.

Reactions: dotas1

Charseza

Honorable
May 26, 2015
By 3 exhaust at the side, do you mean that you have three fans at the front of your tower exhausting air out of the case? Because if that's what you're doing, the front of your tower is usually where an intake is supposed to be.

For most ordinary ATX builds, air is supposed to be sucked in the front/bottom of your tower and exhausted out the back/top of your tower.
The fans are beside the mobo blowing air out the side of the case, not in front, since the front part of the case im using is glass

Charseza

Honorable
May 26, 2015
Ask your friend if he knows how, or watch this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCBzhZlzFoE
Wipe the thermal paste on the gpu die and the heatsink with isopropyl alcohol (70% is also fine), and apply the thermal paste. then screw them back together, or bring it to a pc technician and give the thermal paste you bought and let him do the job.
Im terrified to open this gpu. BUT I WILL! Do regular cpu thermal paste work with gpus

Charseza

Honorable
May 26, 2015
i use Gelid GC Extreme as my trusted paste, it performed well on my E3 1240 v2 and GTX 1050 (also i re applied the paste on the motherboard chipset). So yeah, if you asked what paste is good worth the price, Gelid GC Extreme is a good one, the 2 gram and 3.5g ones, it last long like mx4, and performed close enough to kryonaut.
I got some regular thermal paste I bought off this online shopping platform, I'm guessing itll work the same. HEY KOOKIEZ WHAT DO YOU THINK OF MY PROGRESS ON MY RIG??? U were there when i had the i3 4150 gtx 750 2gb xD

I'm guessing itll work the same
yup, work the same, but performance and durability is not known.

HEY KOOKIEZ WHAT DO YOU THINK OF MY PROGRESS ON MY RIG???
i was hoping you to get a i3 10100F or i5 10400f + b560m since its more future proof, so yea the max you will get is an i7 8700/k which is 6c 12t and the price difference between 10400f is really considering.

Charseza

Honorable
May 26, 2015
yup, work the same, but performance and durability is not known.

i was hoping you to get a i3 10100F or i5 10400f + b560m since its more future proof, so yea the max you will get is an i7 8700/k which is 6c 12t and the price difference between 10400f is really considering.
Yes I didn't have much to spare but i think its a long way from what i had.

UPDATE!!!
-So with @Koekieezz's advise, I watched a tutorial on how to re-paste my GPU, and so I did. Now idle is around 41-43 degrees celsius, and under full load it only peaked at around 70 degrees. I didnt change the thermal pads because I didnt have any, but the copper plate that touches the dye is corroded and very dusty. Talk about maintaining your GPU eh. Big thanks @Phaaze88 and @Koekieezz

Reactions: Koekieezz

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@Charseza
Congrats!

There's no real need to change the pads, unless you tear them by accident.

Also, keep an eye out on thermals. Just any paste doesn't always work with gpu dies.
If it wasn't thick and sticky enough, it'll get pumped out the sides over time from the thermal cycles, and you'll be back where you were previously.