[SOLVED] 1080 Ti seems to work in other systems but not in mine ?

Steffenbk1

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2014
Refering to my last post here

Google drive link to videos and images https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-gVu84RZF4FSWC4qv0RLD-HG8kM0s6Rz/view?usp=sharing

TL;DR
Gpu crashes on my system, gets purple dots and bsod. Sendt it in on RMA and they tested it for 20 hours on furrmark with noe issue.. I took it to a friends where we got a bsod and randome crashes after a few hours.

So i have tested it at two of my friends systems, the first rig we got a blue screen after a few hours of testing with the same error i get what was odd there is that the issues didnt start before we restarted the system, we didnt do it after the install of the gpu driver and we played games just fine, it was after we the the restart all the problems started. He didnt get the purple dots however, but it went into bsod and sometimes would just go to black and restart.

But my other friends rig we didnt have as much time and didnt have any crash but it worked totally fine.

What i find odd though is that the card seems to initially work at their systems, while in my rig it will crash instantly on bootup i cant figure out why though..

The place i bought it from wants me to send it in again. However i'd like to not waste 60$ again for them to just run furrmark. Is there anything else i should test before sending it in?

Currently borrowing a 1070 and havent had a single crash on my system.

Last edited:
Solution
Generally, graphical output bugs are an indicator that there's a VRAM problem. I'm not aware of any utilities that specifically test VRAM; the only real way to do is to run an application that uses all of it (some apps are more VRAM heavy then others) and observe an issue.

Also, which BSODs are you getting? If they are the VIDEO_TDR related ones (0x116 and 0x117), then I'd say it's almost certainly the GPU for sure. Other ones could be driver related; only way to rule that out is to try a different (invluding older) driver and see if the problems go away.
Generally, graphical output bugs are an indicator that there's a VRAM problem. I'm not aware of any utilities that specifically test VRAM; the only real way to do is to run an application that uses all of it (some apps are more VRAM heavy then others) and observe an issue.

Also, which BSODs are you getting? If they are the VIDEO_TDR related ones (0x116 and 0x117), then I'd say it's almost certainly the GPU for sure. Other ones could be driver related; only way to rule that out is to try a different (invluding older) driver and see if the problems go away.

Solution

Steffenbk1

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2014

Ah okay, the 0116 and 0119 its the one that comes up when my pc had gone to bluescreen. So im guessing the 0119 is the same?

cV6Dhwy.png

Pretty sure 0x119 is a driver related BSOD, which would make sense if it's the GPU.

0x50 can be caused a number of ways; pretty sure this is GPU but checking RAM couldn't hurt just to rule it out.

0x116 is almost certainly the GPU; it basically means the GPU driver crashed, then crashed a second time when Windows was attempting to restart it. Given the other symptoms, this would heavily make me suspect the GPU/drivers.