1080 Ti: single or SLI?

rickycary23

Commendable
Apr 28, 2018
I'm not overly familiar with a GPU's full capabilities and I imagine it would be hard for someone to explain it to me in layman's terms. So I feel if I describe my situation, then it would be easier to grasp the concepts and determine what I need to run certain things. So hypothetically, if I were to run a pretty graphics intensive game across 3-144Hz monitors, then would a single 1080 Ti be able to support this game at over 60fps? Obviously if SLI is supported in the game then it would be better to use that, but I'm not sure if one GPU can handle that or alternatively (if SLI isn't supported) I would need two GPUs and task them for different things to help distribute the workload.

*I hope I'm not sounding completely ignorant lol*

Solution
1) RESOLUTION vs FPS is not directly comparable when the RATIO is different... the WIDER the resolution the LESS the extra processing relative to pixel count (because there's less going on in the sides).

3x1080p is probably going to get you about 2x the FPS that 4K would do (though it varies a lot)

2) 3x1080p??

I really dislike triple-monitor gaming as there's a bezel gap as well as the difficulty in properly supporting that ratio. It's also still pretty low res horizontally (1080).

3) *I would much rather have something like this:

a) 3440x1440@100Hz (GSYNC), or
b) 1x2560x1440 (GSYNC) + 2x secondary monitors (for non-gaming)

4K is currently problematic for gaming since the refresh rate is low (i.e. 60Hz). There are 2560x1440...

rickycary23

Commendable
Apr 28, 2018

Thanks! I appreciate the help. I'm still trying to determine whether or not getting an SLI bridge is actually worth it considering many things do not even support it.

1) RESOLUTION vs FPS is not directly comparable when the RATIO is different... the WIDER the resolution the LESS the extra processing relative to pixel count (because there's less going on in the sides).

3x1080p is probably going to get you about 2x the FPS that 4K would do (though it varies a lot)

2) 3x1080p??

I really dislike triple-monitor gaming as there's a bezel gap as well as the difficulty in properly supporting that ratio. It's also still pretty low res horizontally (1080).

3) *I would much rather have something like this:

a) 3440x1440@100Hz (GSYNC), or
b) 1x2560x1440 (GSYNC) + 2x secondary monitors (for non-gaming)

4K is currently problematic for gaming since the refresh rate is low (i.e. 60Hz). There are 2560x1440 monitors that support 165Hz and actually the resolution scales better with many programs too. 4K still has some scaling issues where DPI is larger but blurry and 4K is too small (may be a non-issue for most. I don't know).

4) SLI STUFF:
SLI has different parts. What we really mean typically is AFR or Alternate Frame Rendering. That's where GPU#1 processes a frame, then GPU#2 does the next frame.

Games are becoming harder to code towards AFR so some modern ones have no support at all, and those that do may have poor scaling, added stutter, or both (you also add lag due to the buffering).

So I do NOT recommend SLI for gaming, especially if you have a GTX1080Ti already.

5) System?
First, I'd work BACKWARDS from the desired monitor. It's roughly $1000USD for a good 3440x1440, GSYNC monitor:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/WDcMnQ/acer-monitor-umcx1aa002

after that I'd look at the CPU but without knowing specifics here's a very quick parts overview:

i7-8700K
Noctua NH-D15S (OC CPU to 5GHz or close... not pretty fan but I dislike liquid coolers due to pump, reliability etc)
suitable motherboard
16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB) DDR4 CL16
GTX1080Ti Asus Strix or similar

I might even set a Global Cap to 95FPS to stay in GSYNC MODE at all times (assuming 100Hz).

Do note that MULTIPLE MONITOR setups can have different problems. It's not as bad as it used to be but I personally would prefer:
a) same exact refresh rate, and
b) all IPS panels to calibrate color, and
c) same HEIGHT

I'd actually prefer everything to be IDENTICAL but I've seen situations where turning the Monitors 90degrees is handy for tasks where height matters more than width (so middle is 16:9, and side monitors are essentially 9:16 but the "height" still lines up physically).

*With TRIPLE MONITORS you also need to either turn your head constantly (bad) or push the monitors further back which defeats the purpose of having larger monitors... I only recommend Triple monitors for productivity people but even then I'd probably be looking at a single 4K, 32" screen instead to have 4x1080p zones if needed, or maybe 3440x1440.

Are a few good videos on 3440x1440 vs 4K for productivity though for gaming AND productivity I'd go back to these specs as the best compromise:
3440x1440
IPS
GSYNC
100Hz

Solution

rickycary23

Commendable
Apr 28, 2018

Woah... that's a lot to take in haha, but I really appreciate the input. If it helps, then here's my build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8vHJfH

*No need to look into my choice in GPUs as it is subject to change*

Also the reason I'm asking these questions because I currently have 3 Asus Rog Strix XG27V curved monitors (helps a bit with the turning the head problem) and also the build I posted is what I plan on building this summer so I was curious if I 1 1080 Ti is good enough.

My friend actually has the monitor that you suggested and he loves it, but I like to multitask so I prefer to have more than 1 monitor, but I'd like to try running a game on multiple screens and as far as I know 3 would be the best way to accomplish this as two would probably look weird.