Jan 30, 2020
So,basically I have a 1080 ti and a 1080p 75hz monitor.I am thinking of getting a 2k 144hz monitor and I wanna upgrade my gpu.I don’t want to get a 2080 ti because it is too expensive and not much of a difference so I thought of getting another used 1080 ti for about 300-400€.I heard that sli is kinda dead so is it worth the hassle?Does it even support games I wanna play like Escape from tarkov,battlefield v,rainbow six siege,red dead redemption 2?Or,should I just wait for the rtx 3000 series?Also,the cards would be really close to each other(milimeters) because they are the aorus ones.Would that make the temps skyrocket?What do you guys think?

Solution
I specifically spent a lot of time observing SLI support in Red Dead Redemption 2, (guys trying to run twin 2080 Tis) and there were many bugs that made it borderline unplayable and definitely not worth the cost and stress. Very few games seem to support it. krzy is pretty spot on with everything else.

Waiting for Ampere is probably your best bet; fingers crossed that with big Navi the price of the 30XX series will come down relative to this generation.

Oh, and I run a 2060 KO and a 2080 Founder's Edition together in the same case with 1 slot separating them, and there is definitely some heat build up even with lots of air flowing through the case. So yeah, I would strongly recommend against running two cards together with less...
Jun 8, 2020
Honestly, the 1080ti should drive the 2k 144hz monitor just fine for most of the games that you play (battlefield V & RDR2 maybe not on the highest settings, but I think games like that should look better vs fps) SLI is super dead and the scaling for it is terrible, an RTX 2080ti would kill two 1080tis in modern games because devs aren't optimizing for SLI. I would get the monitor now, but 100% wait for RTX 3000 if I were you.

Jun 8, 2020
Honestly, the 1080ti should drive the 2k 144hz monitor just fine for most of the games that you play (battlefield V & RDR2 maybe not on the highest settings, but I think games like that should look better vs fps) SLI is super dead and the scaling for it is terrible, an RTX 2080ti would kill two 1080tis in modern games because devs aren't optimizing for SLI. I would get the monitor now, but 100% wait for RTX 3000 if I were you.
Actually, I take that back, in certain games which can utilize SLI properly I have seen that you can get 30-50% better frames in certain circumstances, that being said, is it worth the money when a lot of games are fairly close, it can be difficult to get working properly, and some games might not like SLI cards, I still think you should wait for RTX 3000 and save your money for now

Jan 30, 2020
Actually, I take that back, in certain games which can utilize SLI properly I have seen that you can get 30-50% better frames in certain circumstances, that being said, is it worth the money when a lot of games are fairly close, it can be difficult to get working properly, and some games might not like SLI cards, I still think you should wait for RTX 3000 and save your money for now
Thank you!

I specifically spent a lot of time observing SLI support in Red Dead Redemption 2, (guys trying to run twin 2080 Tis) and there were many bugs that made it borderline unplayable and definitely not worth the cost and stress. Very few games seem to support it. krzy is pretty spot on with everything else.

Waiting for Ampere is probably your best bet; fingers crossed that with big Navi the price of the 30XX series will come down relative to this generation.

Oh, and I run a 2060 KO and a 2080 Founder's Edition together in the same case with 1 slot separating them, and there is definitely some heat build up even with lots of air flowing through the case. So yeah, I would strongly recommend against running two cards together with less than 1 slot between them unless one of them is water cooled.

Solution