1080 ti under performing

Mar 7, 2018
So a couple months ago I upgraded to a 1080 ti, and have recently noticed it's been under performing in most games. I first noticed it in destiny 2 where my my friend with a 1080 has been averaging 30-40 fps more than me at some points.Mostly in the open world where I would drop to 40 fps while he would retain 60(or higher if he turned off vsync). I've tested my system with nova bench and it stated that my 1080 ti is in the 28th percentile, with a similar score to that of a 1060, same went for my cpu which was in the 23rd percentile.
My build is
-1080ti evga sc
-i7-3820
-16 gb of ddr3 ram
-Windows 10
Things I've tried
-I've monitored the temperatures with msi after burners and they seemed fine.
-Although I noticed my gpu usage during frame drops (specifically in destiny 2) never really raised.
-I've used ddu to get a clean install of drivers.
I would appreciate any advice.

Solution

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

cpu too weak

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

the 3820 has gaming performance similar to a 2500k

it is not good enough for a 1080 ti

jump up to an i5 8600k or i7 8700k build if you want to properly use the 1080 ti

Solution
Does your friend have an identical PC with identical in-game settings? That is the only time two PC's should be compared.

How many games have you compared with your friend?

Have all games been offline?

Although I noticed my gpu usage during frame drops (specifically in destiny 2) never really raised.
Single games aren't convincing. The problem needs to apply to all games.

1080_Ti_performance.png
shows when my GPU load would bottom out to 0% but the game would go on. After a few reinstalls of the driver(I didn't use DDU) the problem is fixed
1080_Ti_Performance_after_driver_fix.png

What sort of GPU usage issue did you notice? SPECIFICS really do help.

The lightweight in the room(your CPU) might be holding up the show. What sort of CPU usage are you seeing?

What resolution is your monitor set to?

Mar 7, 2018

Just to update, I finally got the i7 8700k and all the performance issues have been resolved.
Thanks my dude for the advice.