1080 ti upgrading from W7 to W10 - concerns about W10 WDDM

gitika1

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
I just completed ordering components for a new build and after doing so came across a thread in the 3d modeling forums about W10 WDDM "taking" 2 GB of VRAM, only leaving 9.1 for rendering purposes.

Is this accurate? I did some "Googling" but most of the discussions are from when W10 was first released.

Nvidia Geforce 1080ti GTX being placed with an i7-8700K/Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard using W10 Pro. (Although the move to W10 was only at the recommendations of posts in the build thread. I was going to purchase another W7Pro OEM).

I see the thread you probably read. Um, not really sure what he is talking about as it doesn't seem like anyone else is talking about it, just referencing that one thread. So either A) he's wrong or B) that's the way it always works in Windows. Personally I'm wondering they we're confusing reserved system memory which is active when you use the iGPU.

Frankly if there was a major change in VRAM reservation between version, even in just the AutoCad community, you'd see way more threads about it.

gitika1

Distinguished
May 20, 2012

I didn't assume one comment was truth, searching led to other threads, like this one
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/15b9654e-5da7-45b7-93de-e8b63faef064/windows-10-does-not-let-cuda-applications-to-use-all-vram-on-especially-secondary-graphics-cards?forum=win10itprohardware

so I asked here to see if it really is an issue or not.