1080 ti with 1070 FE power consuption

Jun 22, 2018
I have 750 WATT 80 gold psu, and in addition to my 1070 I decided to order 1080ti. I am not overclocking my GPUs, but I game a lot... Would my psu be sufficient to handle both of them.

Thank you in advance

Solution
If your goal is to use the 1070 strictly as a PhysX card, then probably you can run that configuration, since the Physx calculations probably shouldn't draw the full rated power.

If you are planning on using DirectX 12 Explicit Heterogeneous Multi-GPU rendering (not many games, Ashes of the Singularity, others?), then AT STOCK, your two cards will be drawing 420 watts ( 35 A ) on the +12 V all by themselves. This does not include system draw. If you are overclocking then your power draw will of course be higher. ( you mentioned GPU, but not CPU overclocking), and does not specify if the Cards you are buying are factory overclocked. Figure ROUGHLY 50 to 55 A MINIMUM power needed, depending on what exactly you have in your system...
If your goal is to use the 1070 strictly as a PhysX card, then probably you can run that configuration, since the Physx calculations probably shouldn't draw the full rated power.

If you are planning on using DirectX 12 Explicit Heterogeneous Multi-GPU rendering (not many games, Ashes of the Singularity, others?), then AT STOCK, your two cards will be drawing 420 watts ( 35 A ) on the +12 V all by themselves. This does not include system draw. If you are overclocking then your power draw will of course be higher. ( you mentioned GPU, but not CPU overclocking), and does not specify if the Cards you are buying are factory overclocked. Figure ROUGHLY 50 to 55 A MINIMUM power needed, depending on what exactly you have in your system.

750 Watts may be edge case depending on brand/quality.

Try:

https://seasonic.com/wattage-calculator

To get a better estimate for your specifics.

Please note that a 2nd card will likely block some of the airflow of the primary slot card, which can affect thermal throttling. This assumes 3rd party cooling design and not the NVidia reference blower.

Solution