[SOLVED] 1080 underperforming

Jan 22, 2021
Hello, this is my first time posting here so I hope this belongs here :)

My Setup is:

Intel Core i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60. GHz

GTX 1080

Motherboard:

BaseBoard-Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoard-Product PRIME H270-PLUS
BaseBoard-Version Rev X.0x

Ram: 16 GB

I have 2 SSD my C-Drive has 250 GB of which ~190 are used

My D-Drive has 1 TB of which around ~500 GB are used

I hope these informations are sufficient for you guys to help me. Now to my problem:

Usually I play LoL which has pretty low requirements so I can play that with around 115 FPS and be happy about it. But recently I got into CoD Warzone and I cant get more than 40-60 FPS at best. Sometimes when the GPU has to work hard it even drops down to around 35-45 and it doesnt recover until I restard the game. The card also goes to around 80 degrees celsius in temperature altough I dont know if that's problematic. I run the game on 1920x1080 all settings on the lowest prossible... I feel like I've tried every settings fix I found on the internet but it doesn't work so I thought the GTX 1080 is just <Mod Edit> but no apparently it works just fine for other people and benchmarks seem to suggest that it should be able to perform better aswell. So idk I hope someone more experienced than me has an opinion on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
1st I would suggest doing a clean driver install. start by installing DDU (display driver uninstall) and then restart your pc. Once booted download your latest GPU drivers. If that doesn't fix it, install MSI afterburner and watch your temps. This utility (you probably know this) allows you to tweak the performances which has its risks so be ware if you mess with the settings... but it mainly allows you to make a custom fan curve so as the temps rise so does the fan speed to compensate for cooling.

Temps shouldn't be the issue but it could be your SSD's.... however thats pretty warm still.

ZeroDollarBudget

Commendable
Sep 5, 2019
1st I would suggest doing a clean driver install. start by installing DDU (display driver uninstall) and then restart your pc. Once booted download your latest GPU drivers. If that doesn't fix it, install MSI afterburner and watch your temps. This utility (you probably know this) allows you to tweak the performances which has its risks so be ware if you mess with the settings... but it mainly allows you to make a custom fan curve so as the temps rise so does the fan speed to compensate for cooling.

Temps shouldn't be the issue but it could be your SSD's.... however thats pretty warm still.

Solution
Jan 22, 2021
Please run a Userbenchmark and post a link to the results.
Also run your SSD manufacturer tools to check the health of your drives.

Here is the userbenchmark requested above:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/38826159

I hope this works. Never done this before :D

Will get back later for the other suggestions

Edit: Health of drivers seems good. I checked both SSD's and none of them showed anything abnormal. Temperature and health are good.

Last edited:

ZeroDollarBudget

Commendable
Sep 5, 2019
Okey. I really don't know a lot about hardware outside of the basics. So what is exactly the problem here and how do I solve it?
On your motherboard, there should be either 2 or 4 slots for your ram. In that there is an optimal way to run it and thats called "dual-channel" meaning you have two sticks of ram in each of the slots. If there are 4 slots, they shouldn't be side by side instead staggered. To save you time here is a great article on this exact topic.

https://superuser.com/questions/852...tion-one-large-dimm-vs-multiple-smaller-dimms

NOW... the issue at hand is it only shows in your benchmark as one stick of ram, which may be causing bandwidth issues. (all in the link above) if you actually have two sticks installed and its reading as one, there is an issue. If you can confirm that you have one or two ram sticks that will help the folks here to assist you further.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Lack of memory bandwidth; cpu 'feeds' a limited number of pre-rendered frames to the gpu for processing.

You fix it by way of 2 sticks of ram.
Adding ram doesn't always work, though you may or may not want to try that gamble.
A new, dual channel kit is the most concrete fix.

Jan 22, 2021
On your motherboard, there should be either 2 or 4 slots for your ram. In that there is an optimal way to run it and thats called "dual-channel" meaning you have two sticks of ram in each of the slots. If there are 4 slots, they shouldn't be side by side instead staggered. To save you time here is a great article on this exact topic.

https://superuser.com/questions/852...tion-one-large-dimm-vs-multiple-smaller-dimms

NOW... the issue at hand is it only shows in your benchmark as one stick of ram, which may be causing bandwidth issues. (all in the link above) if you actually have two sticks installed and its reading as one, there is an issue. If you can confirm that you have one or two ram sticks that will help the folks here to assist you further.
Lack of memory bandwidth; cpu 'feeds' a limited number of pre-rendered frames to the gpu for processing.

You fix it by way of 2 sticks of ram.
Adding ram doesn't always work, though you may or may not want to try that gamble.
A new, dual channel kit is the most concrete fix.

Thank you guys for the responses. This is correct. I checked and I do have one stick of 16 GB RAM (here's the exact product link: https://www.amazon.de/Crucial-CT16G4DFD824A-Speicher-PC4-19200-288-Pin/dp/B019FRBCQE). Now if I have understood you correctly the most logic solution for my performance issues would be to buy another one of this exact same RAM stick to make it a dual channel kit (while also upgrading it to 32GB RAM in total I suppose)? Do you guys agree or should I do it differently than that? :)

Edit: Provided that my Motherboard can make this work. But I will check that through the manual. (Product Link for Motherboard just in case: https://www.asus.com/ch-de/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/All-series/PRIME-H270-PLUS/)

TRENDING THREADS