[SOLVED] 1080p 120 hz when INPUT IS HDMI 1.4 and OUTPUT can be DisplayPort or DVID Dual link

Colt3d

Reputable
Apr 9, 2017
Hello everyone! I have a very specific situation over here and Id appreciatte greatly if someone can point me in the right direction, here are is the main question:

what cable do I use to achieve 1080p 120 hz when INPUT IS HDMI 1.4 and OUTPUT can be either DisplayPort or DVID Dual link?

Some basic info that Ive found during my research:

1- I have an old Laptop, LENOVO Y400 released in June 2013

and I want to plug the laptop into an ASUS VG248QE (120 hz capable) to play small games running at 1920x1080 at 120 hz

2- The laptop comes with a GEFORCE GT 650M which offers 2 graphic ports: HDMI and VGA

3- Lenovo doesnt specify what is the version of the HDMI port on the laptop
, but its safe to asume its atleast HDMI 1.4 or higher according to the release dates , (HDMI 1.4 was released earlier in 2009, laptop is from 2013)

source; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_1.4

4- HDMI 1.4 maximum data rate or bandwith is 8.16 Gbit/s , and according to the HDMI wiki to game 1080p at 120 hz you only require 6.59 Gbit/s bandwith so my HDMI 1.4 port should be capable of playing 1080p at 120 hz, which means the input from my laptop should be capable of sending that to any compatible monitor.

5- The problem is the output, my current ASUS VG248QE only supports 120 hz through their DisplayPort or DVID Dual link ports, HDMI port on the asus monitor has a very simple HDMI chip that is only capable of running at 60 hz (maybe 75 hz with a slight overclock)

I already tried plugging a high speed HDMI cable (10.2 Gbps bandwith) but it became clear that the HDMI port on the asus monitor just cant handle high refresh rates at all, which leaves me wondering what type of cable or converter I need to use to achieve my goal.

Should I use a HDMI to DisplayPort cable?

Should I use a HDMI to DVID Dual link cable?

How can I know for sure which cable or converter will provide at least the 6.59 Gbit/s that 1080p at 120hz gaming requires, (most cable vendors in amazon or newegg dont even offer this information)

Which solution do you consider be the best / cheapest ?

Last edited:

Colt3d

Reputable
Apr 9, 2017
You can get up to 1080p 120 Hz using an HDMI to DisplayPort adapter. https://www.amazon.com/gofanco-DisplayPort-Converter-Compliant-Dual-Mode/dp/B01BXMOREI/

Thanks, its a bit more expensive than I imagined but the one thing that really worries me in the specifications of that adapter is that it says:

"- Compliant with HDMI 1.4 (up to 3.0Gbps) "

3.0 Gbps seems odd since it would be insanely low bandwith, the 1.4 capability should be up to 8.16 Gbps , does that mean this cable has a very miserable bandwith? I should need a minimum of 7 Gbps in order to play 1080p at 120 hz

Also can you elaborate on why do you reckon HDMI to dual-link DVI adapters are fake?

Last edited:
Thanks, its a bit more expensive than I imagined but the one thing that really worries me in the specifications of that adapter is that it says:

"- Compliant with HDMI 1.4 (up to 3.0Gbps) "

3.0 Gbps seems odd since it would be insanely low bandwith, the 1.4 capability should be up to 8.16 Gbps , does that mean this cable has a very miserable bandwith? I should need a minimum of 7 Gbps in order to play 1080p at 120 hz

Also can you elaborate on why do you reckon HDMI to dual-link DVI adapters are fake?
It's 3 Gbit/s per channel (HDMI has 3 channels for 9 Gbit/s total) transmission rate. Data rate for video is 80% of that, or 7.2 Gbit/s, which is enough for 1080p 120 Hz.

HDMI is an extension to the DVI standard. The standard HDMI connector is a redesigned single-link DVI connector. It doesn't have pins for a dual-link connection.

Last edited:

Colt3d

Reputable
Apr 9, 2017
HDMI is an extension to the DVI standard. The standard HDMI connector is a redesigned single-link DVI connector. It doesn't have pins for a dual-link connection.

Thanks a lot! your response has been insightful

When it comes to price the adapter solution that you suggested for HDMI to DP is in the order of $50 usd (tariffs included) to ship to my country, do you think its worth looking into something cheaper say in the 20-30 usd range? or do you believe it wouldnt be worth it?