1080p 144hz TN vs 1440p 60hz IPS Monitor.

Kusky

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2013
I'm stuck between these two monitors. My GPU and processor are the GTX 970 and i5 4690k, so I know I won't get much past 60fps on top end games on high settings with the 144hz anyway. But I also play a lot of low end games like LoL, Minecraft and some MMO's where i'll get much higher fps and want to see that smoothness. But I've also never seen or played in 1440p. Wouldn't mind people's two cents on the matter!

These are the monitors if anyone is interested.
144hz:
http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-Skimlinks-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=12087162&PID=3899435&SID=skim1402X558040Xce5c6ff4147791f6dec1679e70d816a0&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-Skimlinks

1440p: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-VX24AH-24-Inch-IPS-Monitor/dp/B00QLL01BA

Solution
I'd argue about the "play less than 5 hours a day" making you a non-competitve gamer argument, but pretty much what danny said is correct.
TN panels are usually preferred by competitive gamers because of their lower latencies and higher refresh rates compared to IPS ones.

In the end tho, except for twitch shooters, or more in general games that require an immediate response of what you do with your peripherals, you won't notice much difference between a 5ms 60hz IPS panel and a 1ms 144hz TN panel, besides a usually better color reproduction on the IPS one.
If gaming is your main activity, I'd recommend the TN one, otherwise go for the IPS.

As a side note...
I own a VG248QE and it's been quite the pleasant experience so far. Color...

Vynavill

Honorable
I'd argue about the "play less than 5 hours a day" making you a non-competitve gamer argument, but pretty much what danny said is correct.
TN panels are usually preferred by competitive gamers because of their lower latencies and higher refresh rates compared to IPS ones.

In the end tho, except for twitch shooters, or more in general games that require an immediate response of what you do with your peripherals, you won't notice much difference between a 5ms 60hz IPS panel and a 1ms 144hz TN panel, besides a usually better color reproduction on the IPS one.
If gaming is your main activity, I'd recommend the TN one, otherwise go for the IPS.

As a side note...
I own a VG248QE and it's been quite the pleasant experience so far. Color reproduction is pretty nice too after a bit of calibration.
I generally don't like ASUS too much, as it feels they overprice a lot of stuff (even the GPU I have was taken because none other were in stock), but the monitor pretty much feels worthy of the hefty price tag.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS