Question 1080p @ 165Hz monitor goes to black screen when i change from 60hz to 144hz ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XDSlayerDX

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2015
Suddenly having issues with my monitor when i change the Hz from 60 to anything higher (120,144 or 165) it goes to black with a very thin strip of colour at the top of the screen. This only started very recently and ive never had this issue with the 2 other monitors i have they can run at 165hz at 1080p no issues (though i pull them down to 144). all running DP to DP and i have a RTX 3060 12gb with 3x DP ports and 1 HDMI so it can handle it like i've said it only started very recently but i haven't touched any of my settings i checked the drivers they're all up to date and i've tried swapping DP cables and using new cords. I've checked in my NVIDIA settings as well but even changing the Hz there doesn't work the screen still goes to black with that tiny strip at the top as well i haven't ruled out that the monitor may be dying as ive had it for about 1 & 1/2 yrs but im hoping it isnt as i dont have the cash to replace it.

Specs below just FYI:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900F CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.81 GHz
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3060 12gb
RAM: 16GB
System type: 64-bit
Monitor(s): Philips 27" FHD 1MS 165HZ GAMING MONITOR 272E1GAEZ

Last edited:

XDSlayerDX

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2015
did you connect it to a different port of the GPU yet?

sorry for the late response, just swapped all the ports around and nothing. tried unplugging both my other monitors that run fine at 1080 and 144hz and still couldnt get above 60hz on my third monitor it still goes to black screen with slim coloured bar at the top.

XDSlayerDX

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2015
i can now add to this that both screens when turned off show a greyish tinge with abig black strip in the middle section only (not full black like normal) have i inadverntantly killed my monitors by trying to fix them?

really hope not.

XDSlayerDX

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2015
and now i can add that i have reset my pc to scratch and still have the issue except now its 2 of my 3 monitors that can only sit on 60hz out of the 165hz i should EASILY be able to get it at.

VERY ANNOYED.

XDSlayerDX

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2015
Clean installed NVIDIA drivers and got nothing wasn't able to check the pcie or update bios as I had to fly out for work I fly back home in 2 days I'll update them and check the pcie then too

Think back to what might have changed since all was well.

I might guess some sort of a windows update.
You could try system restore to reset to back when.

Since the issue is with only one monitor, consider the possibility that the monitor is failing.

XDSlayerDX

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2015
Think back to what might have changed since all was well.

I might guess some sort of a windows update.
You could try system restore to reset to back when.

Since the issue is with only one monitor, consider the possibility that the monitor is failing.

i completely reinstalled windows but nothing, still having the same issue and also it is now affecting 2 of 3 monitors my main monitor has had no change and runs at 165hz the 2 i have sitting left and right side of it are both having the issue of only being able get 60hz ive looked in the nvidia setting and tried adjusting it there and got nothing. when i turn my pc off completely i get a greyed out screen with a thick black line through the middle of the screen i am assuming the two screens are just dying and theres nothing i can do about that until i can get new ones in which case illbe replacing all 3 at once to save myself the trouble in casse my main monitor decides to neck itself in the process as well.

If anyone has any more tips or things to try please dont be shy ill try everything i can imagine before replacing these monitors if itll save me like 1k cash honestly! i also love these monitors.

XDSlayerDX

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2015
that's the correct model number but yes it does have 165hz available, as my main display can get it easily although ive never used them at 165 ive always capped them at 144. all 3 are the same model and all have 59-165hz available however if i even try and go higher than 60 even to 75 or 120 the screen goes black with a very thin blue or green strip at the top. and when i turn them off completely or shut down my pc the 2 side monitors i have go into like a grey mode with a big black patch straight through the middle of the screen. i wish i could attach a photo for reference but i cant which makes explaining it all the more frustrating for everyone :/

ive had no issues with the dp cables ive been using for almost 1 1/2 years up until when i created this thread, ive even tried swapping back to the factory ones that came with monitors themselves and had no luck though ill get my hands on some new ones within the next week or 2 when i can but if they dont fix the issue im just going to turf all 3 monitors and get new ones... More pain than their worth honestly i just wanted to see if i could fix them and hopefully save myself the money to replace them but i guess not :(

XDSlayerDX

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2015
This monitor has conflicting info all over the web. Odds of 3 of them going bad at once are slim but not many reviews on them.

Have you tried a different monitor to rule out that the GPU didn't go bad?

Not all 3 of them are doing it only 2 which is what I'm not getting, if it were the GPU would it not be doing it to all 3 that are connected?

I'll try another monitor and see how it goes although the only other monitor I have available runs 2 HDMI ports not a dp

XDSlayerDX

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2015
I misunderstood, apologies.

What about older drivers? Have you tried installing older GeForce drivers?
no worries! its all good i appreciate the help whatever it is.

i went back 1 driver update for GeForce i can try going back a few though maybe, also just did a system restore to before i posted on here and still nothing changes.

Consider this as an opportunity to get a top notch wider monitor with higher resolution.
If you get a 34" monitor, keep your best old monitor as a side monitor.
Is your gaming of the fast action type?
If so, look for faster monitors.
OTOH, if you play more mmo, strategy and sims type games, consider a 4k monitor.
Perhaps 40".

Status
Not open for further replies.