[SOLVED] 1080P 240HZ, 2K 144HZ or 4K 60HZ

May 12, 2020
Hello, i want to buy another monitor but i am not sure what to buy. What do you think is better for gaming? 1080P 240HZ, 2K 144HZ or 4K 60HZ? Is Refresh rate more important than Resolution?

Solution
depends on the games you're playing and your personal preference.

extremely competetive games, like shootmania or counterstrike might profit off 240Hz
most games that have some pace, like general shooters, sports games, racers like a high refreshrate but also when come with graphics that really shine with higher resolutions.
if you're mostly playing strategy games or even most RPGs, sandbox games, or generally games that have no pace at all but are rather pretty, resolution just gets you far more in this games than refreshrate.

but there's also personal preference. some people are more receptible to resolution, others to refresh rate. a friend of mine plays on 27" 1080p which for my taste is too low resolution for the size. He...

extremely competetive games, like shootmania or counterstrike might profit off 240Hz
most games that have some pace, like general shooters, sports games, racers like a high refreshrate but also when come with graphics that really shine with higher resolutions.
if you're mostly playing strategy games or even most RPGs, sandbox games, or generally games that have no pace at all but are rather pretty, resolution just gets you far more in this games than refreshrate.

but there's also personal preference. some people are more receptible to resolution, others to refresh rate. a friend of mine plays on 27" 1080p which for my taste is too low resolution for the size. He disagrees. a colleague deemed 144Hz a life changer. I got a 144Hz now. I like it. but it's not a life changer for me. it's nice.

personally I'd probably go with 1440p/144Hz unless you want a 32" screen.

Solution
May 12, 2020

but there's also personal preference. some people are more receptible to resolution, others to refresh rate. a friend of mine plays on 27" 1080p which for my taste is too low resolution for the size. He disagrees. a colleague deemed 144Hz a life changer. I got a 144Hz now. I like it. but it's not a life changer for me. it's nice.

personally I'd probably go with 1440p/144Hz unless you want a 32" screen.
27" is good for 2k resolution?

jam500

Distinguished
May 3, 2014
1440p 144hz. The difference between 240hz and 144hz has diminishing returns compared with going from 60hz to 144hz and the gain in detail from the resolution is a far more noticeable upgrade. Especially for day to day use as well as in gaming, while the 240hz you MIGHT on notice in fast FSP games, if you will notice at all. As for the 4k @ 60hz its the same story just the other way around. Has more detail but is outweighed by the difference in smoothness going from 60hz to 144hz. The added detail would not be as noticeable as the higher refresh rate of the 1440p monitor.