Question 1080p@240hz or 1440p@144hz?

Feb 28, 2019
Games?

144hz/1440p - fast enough, better picture quality, more immersive.

256hz/1080p - faster than 144hz

That gtx1080 isn't gonna push modern AAA titles near 144fps @ 1440p.
Okay.
But is the difference between 1080p and 1440p that impressive?
Currently i have an asus 240hz, but im just not feeling it...
I know it a tough one, but is it worth to go for the 1440p@144hz?
I went from 144hz to 240hz, and that was a disappointment to say the least😒

birne

Reputable
May 19, 2015
go for 1440p@144hz
the difference in 1440p over 1080p is much more noticable than the 240 over 144
IMO anything above 120hz it gets real hard to notice the difference between.
Also, what monitor size are you looking at?

Reactions: King_V
Choosing these options basically "boils down" to these two key points:
1. Preference:
A. Do you prefer a very sharp image with a lot of graphical detail? If so, 1440p 144hz.
B. Do you have the need for very fast response times where a high refresh rate is needed to match high fps? If so, 240hz 1080p (I'd say 9 out of 10 people fall OUT of this category)

2. Hardware - Do you have the hardware and/or are you willing to invest for a budget needed to output results for the above resolution/refresh rate options? Generally both options take high end hardware, especially the 240hz 1080p monitor due to the fact that only overclocked Intel chips that have 1ghz higher boost clocks over amd MIGHT be able to push FPS high enough to match a 240hz panel via triple A titles.

My preference:
I have an AMD Ryzen 7 1700 and a gtx 1080 ti matched with a 3440x1440p ultrawide panel because I like the 21x9 aspect ratio (screen real-estate) and the high resolution that comes with it. With exception to the new LG nano IPS technology panel that came out with, monitors of this quality generally only get up to 100hz refresh rate so I aimed my hardware to match the panels output for the game I like to play which is Black OPS 4. The results were my FPS was going slightly above the refresh rate on ultra settings so I set a FPS limiter to 96 fps so the GSYNC function wouldn't automatically disable when FPS exceeds the refresh rate, which leads me to my next topic.

If you only care about low resolution, high refresh rate and fps, do not invest in gsync unless you have the money for a 4k panel:
  1. If you purchase the highest end gear and run it at a low resolution, the FPS will constantly exceed the refresh rate, which will cause g-sync to be disabled.
  2. If you have high end hardware and your fps still exceeds refresh rate at 4k resolutions, consider yourself lucky because this most likely never happens. Purchase a gsync or freesync monitor because graphics cards date really fast at that resolution due to triple A performance demands at that pixel density so you'll need the feature sooner rather than later and is a good option to have at 4k resolution.
Note:
Lower Resolution/High Refresh-rate demands typically call for a frequent CPU/Motherboard/Memory upgrade path to sustain desired results.
High resolution demands call for a frequent graphics card upgrade path to sustain desired results.

IMHO Conclusion:
  1. I'd rather upgrade the graphics card.
  2. 2560x1440 144hz is a good sweatspot/middleground which is starting to take over 1080p as the new "norm".

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019
go for 1440p@144hz
the difference in 1440p over 1080p is much more noticable than the 240 over 144
IMO anything above 120hz it gets real hard to notice the difference between.
Also, what monitor size are you looking at?
I mean, i see a little difference between 144hz and 240hz, but it is like nothing.
My monitor is a 24"
It is the asus predator 240hz without g-sync

Feb 28, 2019
Choosing these options basically "boils down" to these two key points:
1. Preference:
A. Do you prefer a very sharp image with a lot of graphical detail? If so, 1440p 144hz.
B. Do you have the need for very fast response times where a high refresh rate is needed to match high fps? If so, 240hz 1080p (I'd say 9 out of 10 people fall OUT of this category)

2. Hardware - Do you have the hardware and/or are you willing to invest for a budget needed to output results for the above resolution/refresh rate options? Generally both options take high end hardware, especially the 240hz 1080p monitor due to the fact that only overclocked Intel chips that have 1ghz higher boost clocks over amd MIGHT be able to push FPS high enough to match a 240hz panel via triple A titles.

My preference:
I have an AMD Ryzen 7 1700 and a gtx 1080 ti matched with a 3440x1440p ultrawide panel because I like the 21x9 aspect ratio (screen real-estate) and the high resolution that comes with it. With exception to the new LG nano IPS technology panel that came out with, monitors of this quality generally only get up to 100hz refresh rate so I aimed my hardware to match the panels output for the game I like to play which is Black OPS 4. The results were my FPS was going slightly above the refresh rate on ultra settings so I set a FPS limiter to 96 fps so the GSYNC function wouldn't automatically disable when FPS exceeds the refresh rate, which leads me to my next topic.

If you only care about low resolution, high refresh rate and fps, do not invest in gsync unless you have the money for a 4k panel:
  1. If you purchase the highest end gear and run it at a low resolution, the FPS will constantly exceed the refresh rate, which will cause g-sync to be disabled.
  2. If you have high end hardware and your fps still exceeds refresh rate at 4k resolutions, consider yourself lucky because this most likely never happens. Purchase a gsync or freesync monitor because graphics card date really fast at that resolution due to triple A performance demands at that pixel density so you'll need the feature sooner rather than later and is a good option to have at 4k resolution.
Note:
High Refresh-rate demands call for a frequent CPU/Motherboard/Memory upgrade path to sustain desired results.
High resolution demands call for a frequent graphics card upgrade path to sustain desired results.

IMHO Conclusion:
  1. I'd rather upgrade the graphics card.
  2. 2560x1440 144hz is a good sweatspot/middleground which is starting to take over 1080p as the new "norm".
Nice response - really helpful!
I could put a little bit of money in an upgrade, but not really too happy about it.
The games i play, i run 180+fps(not on max settings) - i would be nice though, to have some better graphics...
I think i might have to put some more money into the pc xd

Thanks again

Once you start going at about 100hz or so, beyond that, the human eye and brain can't really pick up on it.
You generally only notice a difference when refresh rate difference is significant (Example: 60hz to 144hz or higher) and this topic is extremely subjective. For example, one person may not notice a difference going from 144hz to 240hz (I suspect I may fall under this category, but i've never owned a 240hz refresh rate monitor), while others can feel the difference. Not only is this topic extremely subjective upon the individual, but hardware being used and what the system is being used for.

Last edited:
Okay.
But is the difference between 1080p and 1440p that impressive?
Currently i have an asus 240hz, but im just not feeling it...
I know it a tough one, but is it worth to go for the 1440p@144hz?
I went from 144hz to 240hz, and that was a disappointment to say the least😒

It really depends on what you are looking for and what games you are playing.

1440P and 144Hz looks very nice in gaming on a good 27" IPS gaming monitor.

Just adjust the settings to what you need FPS wise in the games, the GTX 1080 is fine. However a faster GPU is always better like a GTX 1080Ti or RTX 2080.

The gtx 1080 can't push a 144hz 1440p monitor via triple A gaming on ultra. He'd have to lower the graphical settings.
My Recommendations:
  1. to use what he has now and then do a graphics card/monitor upgrade at the same time in the future.
  2. Upgrade the monitor now and build a completely new system as the 6 core 6 thread chip will date quickly via triple A gaming.

Last edited: