Question 1080p 75hz gpu reccomendations please.

Oct 14, 2019
just built my first gaming pc a few months ago looking for a new gpu. currently have a powercolor red devil rx570 4gb. just bought monitor as well. mostly play AAA games ultra setting for all. Gears5 Borderlands3 division2 codww2 and rage2. any reccomendations would be awesome!

system specs
ryzen 5 2600 cpu
corsair cx550m psu
gskill ripjawz 5 3000 16gb ram
gigabyte b450 ds3h mobo
asus 24'' 1080p 75hz freesynce monitor

Reactions: daPain58

daPain58

Proper
Sep 30, 2019
just built my first gaming pc a few months ago looking for a new gpu. currently have a powercolor red devil rx570 4gb. just bought monitor as well. mostly play AAA games ultra setting for all. Gears5 Borderlands3 division2 codww2 and rage2. any reccomendations would be awesome!

system specs
ryzen 5 2600 cpu
corsair cx550m psu
gskill ripjawz 5 3000 16gb ram
gigabyte b450 ds3h mobo
asus 24'' 1080p 75hz freesynce monitor
Get 2070 or 2080 or if you want amd go for 5700 or the 5700xt

Sent from my CPH1729 using Tapatalk

Does it work

Reputable
Jun 3, 2017
Would I have to upgrade psu for the rx5700?
For what you want, those are probably a little overkill as is (your psu can handle it, but I would still upgrade personally).

Raedon Rx 5500 series and 5600 series are coming soon.

The 5500 series boasts between 60-100 fps 1080p, the 5600 is between 5500 and 5700 (1080p aimed and 1440p aimed respectively)

If you can wait, 5600 or 5600xt are probably the ideal choice, otherwise a 5700 would be your best current bet

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
What's wrong with your RX570? Should be just what the doctor ordered for 1080p/75Hz.

Never use ultra settings. It's a waste for little/no perceivable visual improvement over High.

Agreed - the RX 570 4GB should be pretty good to handle 1080p, and with FreeSync, even if the frame rate dips, things will smooth out.

Try gaming with your existing card first, and in the Radeon drivers, for various games, you can set the Chill setting to max at 75, and min at whatever your monitor's minimum rate is on the FreeSync range.

If it disappoints you (do NOT look at the frame rate counters, just play the games), then maybe consider upgrading.

Get 2070 or 2080 or if you want amd go for 5700 or the 5700xt

Absolutely not - way too much money for a card that is far beyond what is needed to run 1920x1080p @ 75Hz. It would be like buying a Ferrari, then ONLY driving 25MPH on residential streets and never anywhere else.

@King_V..... it's certainly helpful to use framerate counters (Radeon Overlay, FRAPS, etc) to dial in settings to make sure you're getting the best gaming experience you can. Especially in the OP's situation with a relatively narrow FreeSync range. I would just keep an eye on where quality settings drift as you adjust to maintain ~75FPS in the future. Keep in mind that not all games tax your system the same amount.
My rig (i5-3570K + RX480) is in need of replacement since I have a 1440p monitor (Samsung C27HG70). Just got done playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider and was having to drop quite a few settings to off/medium to maintain >60FPS, but that game brings even the best systems to their knees. However, there are a growing number of games I've been playing that have left we wanting for higher FPS to feed this nice $400 monitor I'm staring at.

While visual quality settings are certainly nice sprinkles, a game can/should be fun regardless of them. A game doesn't have to be pretty to be "good". Too many people are laser focused on "I need a system that can play ANY game at ULTRA-OMG settings and 240FPS. They need to get in touch with reality.

daPain58

Proper
Sep 30, 2019
Agreed - the RX 570 4GB should be pretty good to handle 1080p, and with FreeSync, even if the frame rate dips, things will smooth out.

Try gaming with your existing card first, and in the Radeon drivers, for various games, you can set the Chill setting to max at 75, and min at whatever your monitor's minimum rate is on the FreeSync range.

If it disappoints you (do NOT look at the frame rate counters, just play the games), then maybe consider upgrading.

Absolutely not - way too much money for a card that is far beyond what is needed to run 1920x1080p @ 75Hz. It would be like buying a Ferrari, then ONLY driving 25MPH on residential streets and never anywhere else.
In future with games like Red Dead he will have problems

Sent from my CPH1729 using Tapatalk

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
@King_V..... it's certainly helpful to use framerate counters (Radeon Overlay, FRAPS, etc) to dial in settings to make sure you're getting the best gaming experience you can. Especially in the OP's situation with a relatively narrow FreeSync range. I would just keep an eye on where quality settings drift as you adjust to maintain ~75FPS in the future. Keep in mind that not all games tax your system the same amount.
My rig (i5-3570K + RX480) is in need of replacement since I have a 1440p monitor (Samsung C27HG70). Just got done playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider and was having to drop quite a few settings to off/medium to maintain >60FPS, but that game brings even the best systems to their knees. However, there are a growing number of games I've been playing that have left we wanting for higher FPS to feed this nice $400 monitor I'm staring at.

While visual quality settings are certainly nice sprinkles, a game can/should be fun regardless of them. A game doesn't have to be pretty to be "good". Too many people are laser focused on "I need a system that can play ANY game at ULTRA-OMG settings and 240FPS. They need to get in touch with reality.

Oh, I agree - but I only look at frame counters if I notice anything that mars the smoothness of the gameplay. I everything appears to be smooth and enjoyable, though, I don't worry about it.

In future with games like Red Dead he will have problems

True - but, why buy a new card before the OP actually hits that point? Say, for example, that they don't get a game that taxes the system until, say, a year from now? By then, the same money could buy a more powerful card than it does today.

Or, let's say they get such a demanding game next week. They can buy a new card, and nothing's really been lost by trying out to see how the games play with the existing card.

Oct 14, 2019
Oh, I agree - but I only look at frame counters if I notice anything that mars the smoothness of the gameplay. I everything appears to be smooth and enjoyable, though, I don't worry about it.

True - but, why buy a new card before the OP actually hits that point? Say, for example, that they don't get a game that taxes the system until, say, a year from now? By then, the same money could buy a more powerful card than it does today.

Or, let's say they get such a demanding game next week. They can buy a new card, and nothing's really been lost by trying out to see how the games play with the existing card.
everyone has been great with all the advice. what about ocing my rx570..it is a factory oced card...is that even possible? it is a powercolor red devil rx 570 4gb...i have experienced stutter in the games i listed in main post...very new at this so if there are settings i can change i will try that...no new game purchaces on the horizen either...lol...just want to stop the stuttering...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
everyone has been great with all the advice. what about ocing my rx570..it is a factory oced card...is that even possible? it is a powercolor red devil rx 570 4gb...i have experienced stutter in the games i listed in main post...very new at this so if there are settings i can change i will try that...no new game purchaces on the horizen either...lol...just want to stop the stuttering...

Ok, what's the exact model number of the monitor you have? I want to find the minimum FreeSync refresh rate on it.

What I did with my son's monitor (it has a 50-144 FreeSync Range, but has Low Framerate Compensation, so the lowest refresh it can do is effectively 25), is to go into the gaming settings for each game, enable Chill, and set the minimum frame rate to 30 (the lowest the driver will allow) and the maximum at 75 (because there's no way his RX 580 is going to run anything at 144fps with a 2560x1080 monitor). I have my son turn on the frame rate counter just so I can verify, but, even when the frame rates dip into the 40s, everything is smooth.

You can try something like that once we determine what your monitor's minimum refresh rate for FreeSync is.

Oct 14, 2019
Ok, what's the exact model number of the monitor you have? I want to find the minimum FreeSync refresh rate on it.

What I did with my son's monitor (it has a 50-144 FreeSync Range, but has Low Framerate Compensation, so the lowest refresh it can do is effectively 25), is to go into the gaming settings for each game, enable Chill, and set the minimum frame rate to 30 (the lowest the driver will allow) and the maximum at 75 (because there's no way his RX 580 is going to run anything at 144fps with a 2560x1080 monitor). I have my son turn on the frame rate counter just so I can verify, but, even when the frame rates dip into the 40s, everything is smooth.

You can try something like that once we determine what your monitor's minimum refresh rate for FreeSync is.
Asus VG245H

because there's no way his RX 580 is going to run anything at 144fps with a 2560x1080 monitor)
My RX480 runs Doom at 125FPS on my 2560x1440 monitor with pretty decent settings....Lots of games run well in excess of 100FPS even on High settings. Of course, if 75FPS is acceptable to you, might as well save the power/heat/noise.

VG245H = 40-75Hz VRR on HDMI. Did you make sure to enable FreeSync on the monitor menus and AMD settings?

Red Devil? As-in the triple fan cooler?

We should have you monitor your GPU frequency, voltage, and temp during load. Can you fire up FurMark and GPUz and report your results?

Just to be clear about "Chill". It's a power saving feature offers up two FPS numbers to the user (must adjust this on a per-game basis).
  • The higher number tells the card a target max framerate. If the card is able to generate framerates in excess of this setting while at max frequency, the GPU will automatically down-clock itself so that it's not generating more frames than you need, which saves power. As King_V said, set this to your monitor's 75Hz/FPS limit.
  • The lower number allows the GPU to reduce its frequency even further during "scenes with little/no on-screen movement" (aka take your hands off the keyboard/mouse and watch the butterflies). For you, I'd recommend setting this at 45FPS so you can limit the instances where you might accidentally dip below your monitor's 40Hz/FPS limit (the split second where you begin moving again).
I'd recommend adjusting your in-game settings to target ~60-75FPS BEFORE you enable Chill.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019
My RX480 runs Doom at 125FPS on my 2560x1440 monitor with pretty decent settings....Lots of games run well in excess of 100FPS even on High settings.

VG245H = 40-75Hz VRR on HDMI. Did you make sure to enable FreeSync on the monitor menus and AMD settings?

I did turn FreeSync on and yes the triple cooler

Oct 14, 2019
The score isn't important. I was just saying to run FurMark to impart a consistent load on the GPU while you record frequency, voltage, and temps.
ran test for 5 minutes...card max temp was 80c...highest voltage was almost 1.2...and frequency fluttered for an average of 1182...base clock spose to be 1320

That's what I suspected, which is why I asked.

There are two ways to fix this. One quick-and-dirty, the other one requires a bit more effort but is more efficient.
  1. Go to AMD Settings - Gaming - Global WattMan tab and locate the "Power Limit" slider (halfway down the page). Slide it to +25% or more. This keeps the card operating on the "auto"/stock voltage curve, but allows it to suck more voltage to hit higher frequencies. It's not terribly power efficient (and is likely to raise temps even higher than your current 80C), but it doesn't require any testing. (MSI Afterburner software exposes this same adjustment also)
  2. Go to to the same Global WattMan tab, but follow this guide to change Frequency to "Dynamic" and Voltage to "Manual". Now you're overriding the stock voltage curve. For reference, my RX480 does 1300MHz @ 1.05V and 1400MHz @ 1.15V. If you can hit 1400MHz at the same voltage your card is currently using, that's an 18% performance increase using zero extra power!! I can provide you with my voltage curve if you tell me the 7 frequencies displayed on your screen. That should get you >90% of the way there right from the start. Doing this method will require you to test/adjust voltages to maintain stability since you're now targeting the lowest possible voltage for each frequency state (the closer to want to get to the edge, the more you'll have to test), but you're saving power/heat/noise. My card consumes ~30W less power on manual voltages compared to auto at the same frequency.

Just to clarify, you did enable FreeSync in the AMD Settings software as well as on your monitor? Needs to be done in both places.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019
That's what I suspected, which is why I asked.

There are two ways to fix this. One quick-and-dirty, the other one requires a bit more effort but is more efficient.
  1. Go to AMD Settings - Gaming - Global WattMan tab and locate the "Power Limit" slider (halfway down the page). Slide it to +25% or more. This keeps the card operating on the "auto"/stock voltage curve, but allows it to suck more voltage to hit higher frequencies. It's not terribly power efficient (and is likely to raise temps even higher than your current 80C), but it doesn't require any testing. (MSI Afterburner software exposes this same adjustment also)
  2. Go to to the same Global WattMan tab, but follow this guide to change Frequency to "Dynamic" and Voltage to "Manual". Now you're overriding the stock voltage curve. For reference, my RX480 does 1300MHz @ 1.05V and 1400MHz @ 1.15V. If you can hit 1400MHz at the same voltage your card is currently using, that's an 18% performance increase using zero extra power!! I can provide you with my voltage curve if you tell me the 7 frequencies displayed on your screen. That should get you >90% of the way there right from the start. Doing this method will require you to test/adjust voltages to maintain stability since you're now targeting the lowest possible voltage for each frequency state (the closer to want to get to the edge, the more you'll have to test), but you're saving power/heat/noise. My card consumes ~30W less power on manual voltages compared to auto at the same frequency.
Just to clarify, you did enable FreeSync in the AMD Settings software as well as on your monitor? Needs to be done in both places.
590 950 1105 1175 1240 1285 1320

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
My RX480 runs Doom at 125FPS on my 2560x1440 monitor with pretty decent settings....Lots of games run well in excess of 100FPS even on High settings. Of course, if 75FPS is acceptable to you, might as well save the power/heat/noise.

We should have you monitor your GPU frequency, voltage, and temp during load. Can you fire up FurMark and GPUz and report your results?

Just to be clear about "Chill". It's a power saving feature offers up two FPS numbers to the user (must adjust this on a per-game basis).
  • The higher number tells the card a target max framerate. If the card is able to generate framerates in excess of this setting while at max frequency, the GPU will automatically down-clock itself so that it's not generating more frames than you need, which saves power. As King_V said, set this to your monitor's 75Hz/FPS limit.
  • The lower number allows the GPU to reduce its frequency even further during "scenes with little/no on-screen movement" (aka take your hands off the keyboard/mouse and watch the butterflies). For you, I'd recommend setting this at 45FPS so you can limit the instances where you might accidentally dip below your monitor's 40Hz/FPS limit (the split second where you begin moving again).
I'd recommend adjusting your in-game settings to target ~60-75FPS BEFORE you enable Chill.

Ah, good point - I was perhaps overly pessimistic with saying "anything" - as there are a number of games (Doom being one of them) that does in fact do well, speed wise.

Also, part of my son's use of Chill is to cap what the video card attempts to do. In a few of the games my son plays, you can hear the fans spinning up rather significantly when they try to get into the 60s and 70s - and I think one game even in the mid-50s, fps-wise. Of course, with Chill off, or set high enough, it'll the GPU will gleefully attempt to max itself out, and we'd rather keep it capped, and cooler/quieter.

My son also tends to prefer higher details, and is willing to sacrifice frame rate to an extent to do so.

45 is probably a good place to go for the minimum, as my son using the lowest available setting of 30 is, technically speaking, 5fps more than the 25 that the LFC feature on his monitor allows for.