[SOLVED] 1080p and laptop

worker0

Prominent
Dec 14, 2018
Heloo,
I have board from laptop. I "extracted" it after I damadge lid mounting mechanism. Laptop is Acer 9520, version with Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T7200 . I instlled 4 GB of ram instead of 2GB which came in it. My question is Can I watch 1080p video on my TV. TV is Sony Bravia KDL 40Z4500 with Full HD sticker on it. Laptop have integrated GPU nVidia 7900 GS GO.

I have image on my TV but when play youtube video in 1080p i get 3-4 FPS. 720p goes but Im not satisfied. My question is how android box qith quad core ARM 700-900 MHz can reproduce 1080p and this board cant? I tested it on Win7. Second question is when I plug HDMI cable to my PC which run AMD RX550 polaris 21 version with locked shaders ( which I unlocked - and get card recognised as RX560 by software ) I must put resolution on 1920x1080p and put scaling on 5%, Why? And how do I install drivers for GPU on Ubuntu 19 if someone know for these 2 GPU. Basicly Im interested to put antiX Linux based on Debian on that T200 CPU board but how to set scaling?

Last edited:
Solution
Playing video in a browser is very different from playing downloaded video files. There are much more stringent hardware requirements than say, for VLC player.

The 7900GS is too old to hardware accelerate even H.264 in Flash because it does not have unified shaders, and even if it had those, the latest Windows 7 driver is some two years too old to do it. There were never any Windows 8 or later drivers and let's just say Hardware Acceleration in Linux drivers is lacking so it's software-only for you. You may have enough CPU power to play 1080p in H.264 but bandwidth-reducing VP9 (default for Youtube) or H.265 are out of the question. I suggest trying the H.264ify plugin for your browser.

The 7900GS may be too old to even do...
Playing video in a browser is very different from playing downloaded video files. There are much more stringent hardware requirements than say, for VLC player.

The 7900GS is too old to hardware accelerate even H.264 in Flash because it does not have unified shaders, and even if it had those, the latest Windows 7 driver is some two years too old to do it. There were never any Windows 8 or later drivers and let's just say Hardware Acceleration in Linux drivers is lacking so it's software-only for you. You may have enough CPU power to play 1080p in H.264 but bandwidth-reducing VP9 (default for Youtube) or H.265 are out of the question. I suggest trying the H.264ify plugin for your browser.

The 7900GS may be too old to even do WebGL D2D acceleration using the OpenGL ANGLE wrapper--you can check by going to chrome://gpu for Chrome or about:support for Firefox

As for the scaling, I suggest looking for the overscan settings in your display instead.

Solution