Question 1080p "gamer" i5-4690k

Renato Cvikic

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2014
If it still does what you need it to and there is no obvious lack of performance for YOUR needs, then no, you shouldn't. If you find that CPU usage in the games you are playing is very high and performance is lacking, then yes. Simple as that.
For now he completes every of my needs..And I rarely play..Only new game that interest me is Read dead redemption 2 and cyberpunk..

Guys I have i5-4690k with geforce 1060 and 16gb of ram and 1080p monitor..

Should I upgrade my cpu?
And I ask you back:
Do you see any gaming issues/stutters or fps drops?
Don't upgrade just to waste money, there is no point.
IF that CPU still serves you well, why waste $?
If you see any issues or you will find something that does not work as expected THEN search for new PC, and search for BEST one in your budget that serves that purpose well.

if you ask if i5-4-th gen can still saturate NVIDIA 1060 then yes, it still can game on solid levels.

Reactions: Renato Cvikic
Cyberpunk will likely have you needing a more powerful CPU and graphics card, which of course means you'll need new memory too if you ugprade to a newer platform. But it depends mostly on what settings you are happy to live with. You might still be fine if you are ok with lowered settings and don't need a bazilliony FPS.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i agree completely with everything said but just as an aside, if you raise the resolution, you actually take some of the stress of the cpu and move it to the gpu. might allow the cpu to last that last bit longer with only a gpu upgrade down the line.

i also have a 4690k system and other than some of the new stuff needing 6+ cores, i don't see any reason to upgrade either. i don't game much and have no issues with lower settings and 50-60 fps :)

bohemond1099

Reputable
Oct 6, 2019
Dude; I have everything from an i7 930 to an i7 7800X, with i7 980X/i7 4770K/i5 4440/i5 6600K/i7 6700/i7 6850K in between. The CPU that you have is fine; as is the GPU for 1080p. Even my i7 930 can handle games well @1080p with a GTX 1060; sure you lose a some performance at lower resolutions, but still get 60FPS in most titles on Very High or Ultra settings depending on the game.

Even my i7 930 can handle games well @1080p with a GTX 1060

Dude. let's keep things within the realm of believability. Or at least, NEAR the realm anyhow.

An FX-8350 crushes that i7-930, CRUSHES it, and an FX-8350, right now, with any mainstream graphics card, is a poor choice and will be a serious bottleneck. Even with a GTX 1060, you would be looking at some moderately serious bottlenecking issues. But that's besides the point, since an i7-930 is not what the OP has. Relevant discussion is key, and that isn't relevant, or IMO even remotely accurate, by any stretch of the imagination.