Question 1080p gaming on recent 4k TVs ?

What have peoples experiences been?
Is it blurry or jittery?

I'm only looking for your general impression on this premise.
I'm looking at a few above average 4k TVs from samsung and lg 60hz

I know its a waste and I don't really care about 4k gaming.
I know 1080 TVs are far cheaper but I'm going for things I can access easily.

I like CS go wwz and assorted racing games. my setup (not what's in my sig)
Performs very similarly.

Any issues with scaling? Blurryness? Problems I should be aware of? Such as hitching or stuttering? Is there lag or additional input latency? 60 inch 4 k prices vs availability of 1080 screens even when cheaper hardly seem with all the extra effort involved.

I just don't want a bummer experience. I was more than fine with response times on my budget 55" tv when frame rates were triple the refresh rate. This brings me to ask does running a lower resolution cause stupid problems? strangely I never played games at 720p on the 1080 screen... Why would i? I just want to get an idea of what I can expect to see as I've never even watched a movie in 4k

I want to hear your experiences and opinions.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I've run 4K TVs in 1080p for years. I don't really game on them though. Just that I don't like to have scaling turned on in Windows, so readability and usability make more sense at 1080p for me.

I've had two Vizio and a Samsung and I can't complain about the rescaling at a reasonable viewing distance. If you are going to treat these as a big monitor and sit up close, your results may vary.

Most 4K TVs can still do 720p, but refuse to go lower. I have run 320x240 and 640x480 games on them, and that results in non-rescaled images. Something computer monitors have always seemed to be better at. My old dosbox titles run perfectly rescaled there.

Reactions: spentshells
It really comes down to who does the rescaling: The display or the GPU. I can't think of any specific complaints; my only comment is OLEDs which don't use an RGB layout will probably need Cleartype to render text decently. Everything else should be roughly comparable to modern Displays.

Reactions: spentshells