[SOLVED] 1080p Gaming Rig 3.0

rahul_beniwal

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017
Hello everyone!

You guys have always been of great help whenever it came to choosing the right components.
So I'm looking for a 1080p built and I've already got these parts and I just want your opinion since they're still exchangeable.
Processor - Intel Core i5 9400F
Motherboard - ASUS B360 Strix Gaming F
RAM - G.Skill TridentZ 8x2 GB 3000Mhz
GPU - Zotac AMP! RTX 2060
PSU - Cooler Master MWE 750 80+ Gold Fully modular
Storage - Samsung 970 EVO 500GB and 2TB WD Blue
Keyboard - HyperX Alloy Elite Cherry Mx Brown
Cabinet - NZXT H500i (non-returnable now)
Monitor - LG 27mk600m
Mouse - Yet to choose

This is a 1080p rig on a tight budget. I wanna know if I got the right parts and if I need an upgrade somewhere or not

Thank You

Solution
No problem. Not really miscommunication. I didn't recommend i7 you said "I can get that i5 9400F bumped up to i7 8700k and motherboard to ASUS Strix Z390 F Gaming." in post #10 and I said obviously a K i7 paired with a Z390 board is better than an i5 and a B board.

The Ryzen 5 2600X is a good choice too, specially because you're getting fast RAM (3000Mhz).

I haven't read any review on the i5 9600K and the negative review might be from a value and bang for the buck point of view rather than actual performance.

Now, between the 4 combinations in your last post I would either go for the i5 9600K because you can overclock on that Z390 board or the i7 8700 with the B360 or get the i7 8700 with an H board if budget allows.

rahul_beniwal

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017
I would get a better PSU. Get a 650W one but of better design/build quality
Was getting a pretty sweet deal on RM1000x 80+ Plus gold rated. But then I left it because nothing in my built is that power hungry. Would you still recommend me to get RM1000x over MWE 750. I just thought both are 80+ gold rated to it doesn't matter.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Was getting a pretty sweet deal on RM1000x 80+ Plus gold rated. But then I left it because nothing in my built is that power hungry. Would you still recommend me to get RM1000x over MWE 750. I just thought both are 80+ gold rated to it doesn't matter.

That is a good PSU well-built with Japanese capacitors, electrolytic and polymer, and quality components.

But you said it, you don't need that much power. You need nearly half that much. I don't know the price difference it would have for you but that's a waste of money. The difference between and RMx 650W and a RMx 1000W is around 30-40 dollars I think.

Reactions: davew1860

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I know but as I said I am getting a pretty sweet deal on it. I'll convert the figures into dollars for you.
I got the Cooler Master for $112, getting the RMx 650 for $118 and due to some sale RMx 1000 for $123.

Yes, it seems like a good bargain but you wouldn't need that much power. You'd still somehow lose money when the system is not under full load, let's assume full load is around 500W, the efficiency would decrease a bit; when it's idling at say 10% of 1000W. Many good PSU are at the peak of their efficiency when the load is between 50% and 70-80%.

Although the efficiency factor when it comes to electricity usage and the bill and all, also depends on how many hours you're going to run the system, idle or under load, and how much of it's ON hours would be under full load etc.

It's your decision but I would personally still buy a good 650W and if possible buy a larger SSD or two HDDs with a little more money plus the difference.

rahul_beniwal

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017
Yes, it seems like a good bargain but you wouldn't need that much power. You'd still somehow lose money when the system is not under full load, let's assume full load is around 500W, the efficiency would decrease a bit; when it's idling at say 10% of 1000W. Many good PSU are at the peak of their efficiency when the load is between 50% and 70-80%
Makes sense. I'll try and get one from the RMx series 650 or 750 based on availability. Hope will be suitable for my build.
Any comments on my GPU? I was dead set on getting RTX 2070. But ALOT of reviews pointed towards it being an overkill for 1080p gaming and the price to performance ratio sucks. What are your thoughts on Zotac AMP! RTX 2060 for $447 and Zotac AMP! Extreme RTX 2070 for $767.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Makes sense. I'll try and get one from the RMx series 650 or 750 based on availability. Hope will be suitable for my build.
Any comments on my GPU? I was dead set on getting RTX 2070. But ALOT of reviews pointed towards it being an overkill for 1080p gaming and the price to performance ratio sucks. What are your thoughts on Zotac AMP! RTX 2060 for $447 and Zotac AMP! Extreme RTX 2070 for $767.

Yes I think a 2070 is too much for 1080p (assuming the display is 60Hz?). That's a $300+ difference for a graphics card which is going to work at 60-70% of its performance capacity to output 1080p.

Not really the best route to get a component which is not going to be utilized at nearly it's maximum capacity especially a graphics card and more so when it comes to gaming.

If you are ever going to upgrade the monitor to higher resolution (and refresh rate), if budget is no issue, getting a 2070 would be a good investment. Otherwise not really the best bargain for a 1080p gaming rig.

If you can spare that extra $300, I personally would [within that budget bracket] either get an i7, a better board e.g. 'H' or larger SSD. The i5 is good to pair with the 2060, then again needless to say an i7 is always better. Better boards are more expensive and that's, partly, because they have better SMD components etc. and who would not like more high speed storage.

rahul_beniwal

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017
If you are ever going to upgrade the monitor to higher resolution (and refresh rate), if budget is no issue, getting a 2070 would be a good investment. Otherwise not really the best bargain for a 1080p gaming rig.

If you can spare that extra $300, I personally would [within that budget bracket] either get an i7, a better board e.g. 'H' or larger SSD. The i5 is good to pair with the 2060, then again needless to say an i7 is always better. Better boards are more expensive and that's, partly, because they have better SMD components etc. and who would not like more high speed storage.

I was going to get a better monitor, an IPS 1440p 27inch. But then just because of that upgrade the whole line-changed. GPU went up to 2070. CPU went to i7. And the cooling needs of an i7 leaned towards liquid cooling and even after all that. I won't be able to game at ultra settings at 1440p pointed out in some reviews. Not to mention upgrading all that together crosses my budget.

Core i5 9400F is super cheap because of no on-board Intel graphics. Upgrading to i7 requires atleast $250 jump.

SSD upgrades I've kept for future. Not NVMe but 2.5inch like Samsung 860 evo for sure. Still have space for 3 remaining and one more HDD.

Regarding the motherboard, I thought I can never go wrong with B360 Strix by ASUS considering my processor and GPU. So please explain when you talk about getting a 'better' board. Any specific suggestions?

Lastly if that's not too much to ask for what will be your build if you had around $1500-2000? I'm here in India so keep in mind that everything is expensive here compared to the price you get.

rahul_beniwal

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017

So I talked to the dealer and came to a deal. For $200 extra, I can get that i5 9400F bumped up to i7 8700k and motherboard to ASUS Strix Z390 F Gaming. Suggest if that's a good deal.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
So I talked to the dealer and came to a deal. For $200 extra, I can get that i5 9400F bumped up to i7 8700k and motherboard to ASUS Strix Z390 F Gaming. Suggest if that's a good deal.

Yes, that is better and with a Z board and a K CPU you can overclock too, if you ever want/need to to that.

As I said rearlier your choice of combining the i5 and 2060 is/was a balanced setup for gaming at 1080p at least for the time being. Generally an i7 obviously is better than an i5 when it comes to CPU-intensive games now and in the future.

And by better boards I meant H or Z boards over B ones. This does not mean B boards are bad per se, or not enough. It all boils down to what you want the system for and your budget. H or Z boards tend to have better SMD components and longer lives and a few more bells and whistles like more SATA or USB ports and more fan headers and PCIE or M.2 slots and such.

If you get the Z board and a K i7 you can later upgrade to a better GPU when you upgrade your monitor too.

Where I live components are too expensive too and the choices in the market are not as many either. We can't order from big online sellers like Amazon or Newegg etc. either.

The i7 and the Z390 board are obviously better than the i5 and the B board in terms of performance and being capable of handling apps/games for a bit longer in coming years. It's your money and you should decide whether it's a "good deal".

rahul_beniwal

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017
If you get the Z board and a K i7 you can later upgrade to a better GPU when you upgrade your monitor too.
A little bit of miscommunication the difference for upgrading the Z Mobo and i7 k processor will cross $350 mark.
A few of my friends are also strongly recommending Ryzen 5 2600X being a complete work horse of processors. Any suggestions there?
If you're recommending a 'K' processor, based on availability it seems I can only afford the i5 9600k but I don't know why it's getting so many negative reviews though. and if you recommend an i7, if I really really max out my budget, I can reach i7 8700 but not 8700k simply because I won't have spare funds to afford decent mobo and cooler for it.
Apologies for asking too many questions. But you can see there's a lot of confusion.

rahul_beniwal

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017
Yes, that is better and with a Z board and a K CPU you can overclock too, if you ever want/need to to that.
So assuming that the whole build remains the same which option would you suggest.
i5 9400F + B360 + RTX 2060 OR,
i5 9600k + Z390 + RTX 2060 OR,
i7 8700 + B360 + RTX 2060 OR,
Ryzen 5 2600X + B450 + RTX 2060.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
No problem. Not really miscommunication. I didn't recommend i7 you said "I can get that i5 9400F bumped up to i7 8700k and motherboard to ASUS Strix Z390 F Gaming." in post #10 and I said obviously a K i7 paired with a Z390 board is better than an i5 and a B board.

The Ryzen 5 2600X is a good choice too, specially because you're getting fast RAM (3000Mhz).

I haven't read any review on the i5 9600K and the negative review might be from a value and bang for the buck point of view rather than actual performance.

Now, between the 4 combinations in your last post I would either go for the i5 9600K because you can overclock on that Z390 board or the i7 8700 with the B360 or get the i7 8700 with an H board if budget allows.

Solution

rahul_beniwal

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017

Hello! So I finally managed to stretch by budget and went into a lil overkill territory. So here's the build now.

Processor - Intel Core i7 8700k
Mobo - Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi
Cooler - NZXT Kraken X62
Rest remains the same

I went with 8700k because I don't want to upgrade my Processor and mobo for a very long time now and 8700k seemed like the best future proof option available. Aorus Z390 Pro is I guess the best all rounder value mobo and where I live, Gigabyte offers way better service than Asus does else Strix Z390 E Gaming was another option. NZXT Kraken X62 apart from being a great cooler complimented my cabinet the best and I love that mirrored NZXT RGB lighting, didn't want to risk 8700k with an aircooler.

So now if someday I want to upgrade to 1440p gaming. I just need to upgrade my GPU and monitor and we're good to go. SSDs, RAMs etc are little upgrades which I'll do with time. Let me know your thoughts about this built.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
That's a very good setup and ready for future upgrade of graphics card and monitor.

As for the cooler it's a very good one but I don't like fluids running around my electronics, LOL. I know they're safe and all but I prefer air coolers. They help overall ventilation inside the case with some air flow over mobo VRMs and also on RAM sticks. Anyway that's a good choice if you're happy with it.

I still say you won't need 1KW of power unless you would at some point want to SLI two cards. Since it's a good deal as you said and you wouldn't pay a premium over say a RMx 650W you can get the 1000Rmx. I guess the plus would be you can sell it second hand later on for a better price maybe than a 650W one?

rahul_beniwal

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017
That's a very good setup and ready for future upgrade of graphics card and monitor.

I still say you won't need 1KW of power unless you would at some point want to SLI two cards. Since it's a good deal as you said and you wouldn't pay a premium over say a RMx 650W you can get the 1000Rmx. I guess the plus would be you can sell it second hand later on for a better price maybe than a 650W one?
I just went for it without thinking much and got the RM750x. I hope I'm not asking too many questions but there's one issue I'm facing regarding the add-on fans. The Kraken X62 and the included RGB strips with NZXT h500i will work with CAM software. But I'm not sure which RGB fans to go with. I always wanted Corsair LL fans but not sure if they'll be compatible with the rest of my RGB setup. If take the NZXT Aer Hue 2 fans it's not like I can hook them up directly in the smart device or mobo and be done with it even with I'll need a Hue 2 connector and that just drives the cost up but also giving me an option to add more NZXT lights later. The RGB components in total are :-
Liquid cooler AIO - NZXT
RGB Strips - Included in NZXT h500i
G.Skill RGB TridentZ
Aorus Z390 Pro has some RGB elements of it's own as well.
There's CAM to control the NZXT RGB, there's RGB Fusion by Gigabyte for the rest how can I not make any more complications and still get RGB fans with decent airflow?
It will a BIG help because I'm researching since 3 days

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I just went for it without thinking much and got the RM750x. I hope I'm not asking too many questions but there's one issue I'm facing regarding the add-on fans. The Kraken X62 and the included RGB strips with NZXT h500i will work with CAM software. But I'm not sure which RGB fans to go with. I always wanted Corsair LL fans but not sure if they'll be compatible with the rest of my RGB setup. If take the NZXT Aer Hue 2 fans it's not like I can hook them up directly in the smart device or mobo and be done with it even with I'll need a Hue 2 connector and that just drives the cost up but also giving me an option to add more NZXT lights later. The RGB components in total are :-
Liquid cooler AIO - NZXT
RGB Strips - Included in NZXT h500i
G.Skill RGB TridentZ
Aorus Z390 Pro has some RGB elements of it's own as well.
There's CAM to control the NZXT RGB, there's RGB Fusion by Gigabyte for the rest how can I not make any more complications and still get RGB fans with decent airflow?
It will a BIG help because I'm researching since 3 days

Sorry, I'm not really into RGB lighting and RGB fans and don't really know a lot in that area and which fan goes well with which cooler or which motherboard and matching colors and lighting and such.

As far as air flow in the case is concerned you want intake from front and side (bottom) and exhaust from top back and top of the case.

How much air flow the fans would be able to do on their own depends on their speed and design and figures on static pressure and cubic feet/meters of air they move per minute/hour are usually published on their manufacturer's websites.

I think you should wait for advice by others on matching RGB/fan etc. Or this being a system setup/configuration topic you may start another thread in the cooling forum maybe and ask there?

rahul_beniwal

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017

As for the cooler it's a very good one but I don't like fluids running around my electronics, LOL. I know they're safe and all but I prefer air coolers. They help overall ventilation inside the case with some air flow over mobo VRMs and also on RAM sticks. Anyway that's a good choice if you're happy with it.

Some new developments on the PSU front. All the RM 1000x were sold due to the amazing sale which was going on. Now I only have two options. There's an RM 650x and Hx 850. Now, I know I don't need a 850W PSU but it's platinum rated PSU with a dedicated idle mode for when the PC is not under that much load and type 4 cables etc. So the confusion is, get a gold rated 650 or a platinum 850. You know my built already..i7 8700k, liquid cooled, Z390, RTX 2060. Please suggest which one should I go with want to make it as future proof as possible.