Question 1080p Gaming

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
Depends on the age of the games. Most current AAA games require an 8gb gpu to run them with a good cpu and memory. You should look up the minimum and suggested requirements on the games you want to play and see if your computer meets those.

Kree6427

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017
If you plan on playing 2016+ games I would say 4gb is absolutely not enough. That amount of ram is barely enough for windows at this point. One such example would be Rainbow Six Siege. Even though the game is very well optimised at this point, the game still needs lots of both vram and dram to run the game at high settings.

Generally, yes, 4 GB VRAM is enough for Nvidia GPUs @ 1080p. My GTX 970 was still doing fine with most modern games, despite its 3.5 GB "handicap" that did result in the occasional stutter in games that filled the buffer.

I dislike the 3 GB Nvidia cards like the 1060 and 1660ti; they have enough power, but not enough VRAM to keep up with all the textures.

AMD cards tend to use a bit more VRAM.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Well, I would say 4 GB is the minimum for Full HD. Most games will not use more, whatever other people on the forum tell you.

Full HD: 4GB Vram
WQHD 1440p: 6GB Vram
4k: 8GB Vram

And this will not change until there is another generation of consoles which will allow for utilizing more Vram....then it will change also on PC.

But if you want long time future proof hardware you might want to look at 6GB Vram.

Feb 15, 2019
Well, I would say 4 GB is the minimum for Full HD. Most games will not use more, whatever other people on the forum tell you.

Full HD: 4GB Vram
WQHD 1440p: 6GB Vram
4k: 8GB Vram

And this will not change until there is another generation of consoles which will allow for utilizing more Vram....then it will change also on PC.

But if you want long time future proof hardware you might want to look at 6GB Vram.
Thanks for the reply can you plz tell me which GPU should buy I mean ( 1060 6gb or MSI ARMOR RX 580 8GB)

Here is the things of my first building PC

CPU: i5 6600k
Mobo: Asus z170-A or (Z170x- ultra Gaming G1)
RAM: g.skill Ripjaws v serious (2x8) 16GB 3000mhz
GPU: ( suggest me the best GPU for 1080p ultra gaming)
PSU: Antec EDGE 750W 80+ gold or( Antec HCG 650W 80+ gold)
HDD: WD purple 1TB
SSD:Zotac 120GB Sata 3
Case: Antec GX1200 Mid-Tower

Ur suggestions will be highly appreciated

mjbn1977

Distinguished
The 580 is usually a little bit faster than the 1060. BUT....if I would be you, I just would wait for the GTX 1660Ti that will launch very soon. this card will be $270 and is basically expected to be 25% faster than the 1060 (basically perform similar to the GTX 1070). So you would get much more bang for your buck. I think we will see that card very soon. Many stores already listing it. But there is not a official launch date, but the rumors are running hot, so it can't be much longer. This is a Turing chip without the RTX features (without ray tracing and tensor cores)

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019
The 580 is usually a little bit faster than the 1060. BUT....if I would be you, I just would wait for the GTX 1660Ti that will launch very soon. this card will be $270 and is basically expected to be 25% faster than the 1060 (basically perform similar to the GTX 1070). So you would get much more bang for your buck. I think we will see that card very soon. Many stores already listing it. But there is not a official launch date, but the rumors are running hot, so it can't be much longer. This is a Turing chip without the RTX features (without ray tracing and tensor cores)
U are right but the problem is GPUs are exreamly expensive in my country the Gtx 1060 6GB cost $300