1080p God GPU

Primegaming

Reputable
Feb 15, 2015
So right now im running a gtx 960 2gb and it dosent play all the games i want at max so im looking for a better GPU that can produce the best fps for dollar for 1080p gaming and will run majority of triple a titles at nearly or maxed out graphics

Right now im looking at a gtx 1060 and a 970 im not 100% sure which one is better

Solution
get the GTX 1060. its better then the gtx 970. it usually scores between the GTX 970 and gtx 980...some titles it even meets/beats a gtx 980 in performance.

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016

GTX 1060 is a pretty good GPU and should play most games well, however it 'only' comes with 6GB VRAM, the AMD RX480 steps up to the mark, if not surpassing, of a 1060 and also comes with 8GB VRAM for the same price or less while having more VRAM doesn't always mean it will perform better, it will help in the future when games require the utilization of the extra ram, so it's atleast worth noting. i would say the leap from a 960 to a 970 is not really that big so a higher end model will probably be your best bet.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

yeah i can't say i agree with that one. Its a good card but would take the extra performance of the GTX 1060 6gb model. i was disappointed in the RX 480 as a whole, though again its not a bad card.

Primegaming

Reputable
Feb 15, 2015

Not gonna be doing 1440p gaming so i dont really need that much vram plus the rx 480's stock is rubbish atm

Is the GX 1060 slightly faster?
In many current games, yes.

But the question was:

With a ~5% performance boost for 50~100$ higher; the GTX 1060 6GB is a less cost effective gaming card.
Given the minimal performance delta between the two cards, I would argue that there is no practical performance difference in real world gaming.
Neither card will allwo you to enable significantly higher quality options at 1080p than the other; gaming on either will be just as enjoyable.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

that probably fair but in my experience AMD drivers are less tuned then nvidia at launch. So in theory over an AMD chips life it will get more performance as time passes while an nvidia chip tends to be full throttle from day one driver wise. I rather have the full throttle then wait for it. But thats just me.

In my experience AMD focuses on delivering quality drivers, even if they take longer, rather than rush them out. As a result the worst driver problem that AMD has had in recent years (afaik) was that early version of Crimson that would set fan control to manual. On the other hand, Nvidia has released drivers that caused people with multi-screen setups to bluescreen on boot, and a more recent driver that trashed the performance of many GTX 1070s, and all this just to get ahead of AMD. Nvidia doesn't give half a shit for the end consumer, only for sales and reputation, which wouldn't be an issue (seeing as they are a for-profit corporation) if they didn't take it so far as to cause problems for users. On the other end of the spectrum, people with mid-high end 3-4 year old AMD cards will still be able to play modern (and near future) triple-A titles thanks to AMD's excellent driver support and foresight.

On top of this (and I'm only mentioning this as a sidenote), claims have been made that Nvidia purposely reduced the performance of older cards in specific games and in general, such as (allegedly) the 700-series having much worse than expected performance in Witcher 3 coinciding with the launch of the 900-series, and people using old drivers getting big boosts in performance with old cards such as the GTX 580 (albeit this also caused severe instability in newer games).

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

yeah not sure i agree with all that. yes nvidia has borked some multi-screen setups. as far as crippling old cards...as i stated early nvidia tends to get the initial drivers to run full throttle and some of the perceived crippling is the fact unlike amd they don't squeeze more out later making it appear they have crippled the card later in life as the amd equivalent will have caught up or even surpassed the nvidia counter part. so again not sure i buy the crippling argument, though i would not totally rule it out. I have read several articles for and against it.

As for AMD not having major driver issues as of recent. I could not disagree more. the RX 480 would be one prime example at launch drawing to much current from the motherboard PCIe slot potential frying older rigs. But i don't want to make this a red vs green debate. AMD does not have the issues they use to with things like frame pacing in CF and what not so drivers have for the most part gotten better but IMHO they have not been good enough long enough to have restored my faith, glad yours has though!

TRENDING THREADS