1080p Monitor Recommendation for GTX 750Ti?

Firefox444

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Hi everyone,

I have an older build that is currently running a GTX 750 Ti (2GB) card on a non-widescreen Samsung SyncMaster 915N (i.e. 19 inch). Any suggestions for a decent 1080p monitor? Given the limited performance of my card, 60-70HZ should be fine. I mainly use my computer for games and web stuff.

Thanks!

Solution
That's a nice monitor for it's price. It is 24" 1080p and IPS. It'll have color unlike anything you've had before so you'll be happy. Now those people who had high end $600 monitors may disagree but it'll be a notable upgrade from what you currently are used to.

As for response time it's only 5ms but that is GTG so it's a good 5ms. Yes 1ms panels exist now for gaming, but just 2 years ago 5ms was considered a good panel for gaming. For it's price it'll game just fine. This panel has the low blue light feature as well so it'll be easy on the eyes for gaming.

All in all it's a killer monitor under $200. You'll be very pleased without spending a fortune. I'd say go for it, then in the future if you want save up for a nice...

Firefox444

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

I forgot to mention that I'm looking for something in the 21.5"-23" range. As for budget, I'd like to keep it under $250 CAD (i.e. about $185 USD). I'm willing to spend more if it would make a large difference (given my limited card).

gondo

Distinguished
BenQ RL2455HM is $220 at Newegg Canada. It's a 24" 1080P gaming monitor with 1ms GTG (gray to gray) response time. It also has the black equalizer function for games.

The next step up is the 2460 model that has the HDMI out for a game capture device if you use one. I doubt you do because if you did you wouldn't be asking about monitors in the first place :).

24" is the norm for 1080p. For smaller I'd go 21.5" but the response time will be higher. And the price difference will be negligible. The only reason to get a 21.5" is if you very limited for room or you are on a really tight budget and want a $125 monitor.

That BenQ is a safe bet. I also like Asus monitors but BenQ is for monitors what Asus is for motherboards. When in doubt, they are a safe bet.

G

I think either the Dell P2414H or the Dell U2414H are some of the best 60 Hz, 1080p, IPS monitors available for a decent price. The P will be more affordable and you might be able to find it a bit over $250 CAD. They're both very well received at TFT Central as far as more recent high quality 1080p, IPS monitors with full adjustment options go. If you're looking for a TN based panel though, and colour accuracy and uniformity aren't that important to you, there's a lot more available at lower prices. Actually, if adjustability (height adjust, tilt, swivel etc) is something you're also willing to compromise as well as IPS, there are so many options for 1080p, 60 Hz panels, they'll just often be TN and have glossy, non-adjustable bezels/stands.

Firefox444

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

Hmm... Any recommendations for something that would be around that $350 price range?

HP 23XW - best value IPS
BenQ GW2470H - best value VA

If the GW2470H isn't available, get the BenQ EW2440L, same panel, just a super tiny bit worse, but still excellent.

The difference between a modern VA and IPS is the contrast, both of these can cover 72% NTSC. VA while not having perfect contrast uniformity, are still nearly perfect when not viewing it from the center. Lots of articles will tell you otherwise, but you have my word on that.

If you're after a faster monitor, then either the VG248QE or the XL2411Z is the best ones. You may find a cheaper Philips, or some other brand, which occasionally go on sale. I'm not familiar with the Canadian market.

Resolution could matter at that pricepoint, maybe you want to go for a 2560x1440 (also known as a 2k or 2.5k), though you won't likely find any better panel type than TN.

Don't worry too much about VA, IPS, TN, they are panel types, and may confuse you. If you buy a faster monitor, then expect getting your hands on a TN, unless you buy second hand. This panel type, unlike IPS and VA, have extremely poor colors and poor contrast uniformity if viewed at an angle. Some lower end models still have uniformity problems when viewed from the front, so there's a bit of variation there.

All the best!

gondo

Distinguished
BenQ XL2411Z is very nice at around $280. It's 1080P 24" 1ms GTG 144Hz.

Asus VG248QE same specs as the BenQ but around $255.

In my experience Asus has some good deals on monitors. BenQ makes a beautiful monitor as well. I wouldn't hesitate to choose either.

Acer GN246HL is 144hz 1ms and $280 at Newegg. That's a good deal for such specs.

I didn't check NCIX but these are some good deals. You can also check for sales at staples and bestbuy...they often have good sales on monitors.

I checked staples and bestbuy and they have some nice IPS monitors on sale but they don't have the response time and refresh rate for gaming. IPS is more business for color accuracy. Gaming monitors that are super smooth will be TN.

In my choose I'd choose the BenQ over the Asus. However the refurbished Asus and the Acer are deals too hard to pass up.

Firefox444

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
The lowest I can find the BenQ XL2411Z is $350 (not including shipping). Unless it's on sale somewhere, I don't really know if it's worth an extra $130 simply to get the 144hz refresh rate, which my current system likely wouldn't be able to take advantage of. Aside from the refresh rate, I can't see any noticeable difference between the two.

Are there any sales on the XL that I am unaware of?

gondo

Distinguished
You're right the BenQ is more expensive. Maybe I was looking at US prices. BenQ's are very nice but they are expensive. They are catering to the elite gaming market. In me experience Acer has very good pricing and their monitors arn't half bad. They have the odd high end they try to release that seems to be overpriced like their predator stuff. Asus was always the best value every time I purchased a monitor and I havn't had any problems yet. Asus and BenQ are my go to monitors. AOC also has wicked prices on some god specs and they are rated good for the price...a killer value.

And yes for gaming I would take advantage of 144Hz and also adaptive sync if you can afford it.

Firefox444

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
The thing is that my current system won't be able to take advantage of 144hz (my video card and processor would be the limiting factor, not my monitor). That being said, I would consider if it's a monitor that I may use for years to come (i.e. in my next build), although who knows what kind of monitor technology will be available in a couple years.

gondo

Distinguished
AOC E2476VWM6 only $170 at Newegg. 1ms with anti blue light. It has a 3 year warranty so who cares if it doesn't last. Great value.

BenQ RL2460HT is $250 at Ncix. 1ms GTG with some anti flicker tech built in.

Bestbuy has a 27" 1080p Asus 1ms GTG on sale with a blue light filter and anti flicker built in.

If you want to just buy local that Asus 27" is not a bad deal of a gamer. If it's over budget I'd probably take that BenQ. It's rated as having IPS class color for a gaming 1ms monitor. It has anti flicker, the BenQ black equalizer, low blue light, an actual good stand with height adjustment, and it's $250 so on budget. A very nice 24" for $250.

144Hz monitors seem to be in the $350+ category which is over budget. I looked at a few cheaper ones but they arn't rated very good. I'd cross my fingers avoid the temptation of a cheaper 144Hz and just get the BenQ. Enjoy it and started saving up for future upgrades such as video card and possibly a nice 144Hz 1440P monitor in a years or more time when the next gen video cards are out.

gondo

Distinguished
That's a nice monitor for it's price. It is 24" 1080p and IPS. It'll have color unlike anything you've had before so you'll be happy. Now those people who had high end $600 monitors may disagree but it'll be a notable upgrade from what you currently are used to.

As for response time it's only 5ms but that is GTG so it's a good 5ms. Yes 1ms panels exist now for gaming, but just 2 years ago 5ms was considered a good panel for gaming. For it's price it'll game just fine. This panel has the low blue light feature as well so it'll be easy on the eyes for gaming.

All in all it's a killer monitor under $200. You'll be very pleased without spending a fortune. I'd say go for it, then in the future if you want save up for a nice 144Hz 1440P monitor if you want, and until then enjoy this monitor.

Solution

Firefox444

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

I pulled the trigger on the way home, so I'll give it a shot and let you know how I like it. It looked pretty decent in the store; definitely better than what I've been using for the past 7+ years.

gondo

Distinguished
At least you'll have a 1080p 24" now which is nice, and an IPS to boot. 5ms GTG will game just fine. Not tournament quality, but better than any PS4 or XBONE for sure and just as good as any monitor 2 years ago. Newegg is selling it for $200 so you got a deal on sale. The only downfall I can think of is the base is not height adjustable. But a $180 Canadian IPS monitor, you take what you get and enjoy :).

Be sure to calibrate it. Go to a site like http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ and follow the images to calibrate your monitor as best you can without actual pro calibration tools.

Firefox444

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

Just to clarify, it's a 23" monitor (not 24"). But that works for me as the computer is in a hutch-type desk and I can barely fit the 23" in as is.

My initial reaction to the monitor is very good. I believe the TN monitor I was upgrading from was also 5ms, but the response time of the new monitor seems to be at least as good and maybe even slightly better. The image quality is noticeably much better; far better colours, viewing angle, etc. It only has a 1 year warranty, but Asus is generally a decent brand so I wouldn't expect it to die early. Overall, I am very happy for $180.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone! I will be sure to check out the LCD calibration site.

You made a good choice with a budget IPS screen like the Asus.

What you can take away from this thread generally is the knowledge that the manufactures rated response times are generally complete & utter BS.
Most good 60htz gaming panels are really 6-8ms even if advertised as 1ms.
an IPS because of the way the technology works can never be below 5ms.
Your Asus is really a 10-14ms monitor which is fine for pretty much anyone but a competitive twitch gamer who would be using a 109htz + $500 screen anyway.

Don't think for one minute these ratings come from testing with a full screen image with as many different colours on screen as possible at any one time.
They test with maybe 20% screen coverage at best with minimal detail & colours onscreen to give themselves the best rating possible so they can advertise the screen as that.

TRENDING THREADS