1080p on a 27in. monitor?

Jan 26, 2014
Is 27in. too big for 1080p? Would I be better off getting a 25in. monitor? These are the two that I'm stuck between. I just read that a lot of people say that if you are going to buy a 27in. monitor why not go for 2560x1440. Is 27in. good for 108p or will it be too blurry? I would love to have that extra space over the 25in. monitor. I can't afford a 2560x1440 monitor and my 760 wouldn't be able to do it very well. So should I get the 27in. or 25in.? I'm going for IPS because I do video edting and photo editing and I'm on a budget. I'm a moderate gamer and I'm definitely not competitive.
http://www.amazon.com/MX279H-27-Inch-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00B17C5KO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399305138&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+mx279h
http://www.amazon.com/MX279H-27-Inch-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00B17C5KO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399305138&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+mx279h

Solution
You asked a very subjective question, so all you're going to get is a bunch of opinion. Take what everybody says with a huge bunch of salt, and make your own decision.

On my own personal system, I run a 1080p TV set, which is 42", and is ideal for my situation. There is no more aliasing on it than there is on my 22" 1080p monitor, as I'm not sitting 6" away from it, but instead, a comfortable viewing distance. I personally find sizes 32" or smaller to be distasteful after using a larger screen for so long. I also have a 4k 55" right above it, and you know, I rarely ever use 4k resolutions because Microsoft just can't seem to wrap their heads around scaling the GUI in Windows correctly for 4k, and the graphics horsepower needed to enjoy...

24-25" is the max that is ok in 1080p.
27" indeed requires 1440p.

Two things:

1) Moving up to a 1440p monitor requires a lot more graphics horsepower over a 1080p monitor, and at 27" that is the premium pixel ratio at that size for 1440p.

2) The sweet spot for 1080p and gaming is anywhere from 22-25". If you want to go larger, move up in resolution if you can afford the GPU horsepower to run it in games at 60FPS plus. I have a 27" 1080p monitor and it sits in my basement used as a general use web surfer monitor attached to my old backup gaming PC.

If you have to choose between 1080p 25'' and 1080p 27'' , then definitely 27''.
I have no idea, why people would say that 1080p 27'' is a bad option.

To see separate pixels, you have to put your face right into monitor - closer than 10cm.
Nobody sits that close to a monitor.

It's not about actually seeying pixels. But text, for example, looks aliased. One can get used to that, but it's not preferable.

Well i guess it's subjective.
Which brings me to an important point: OP, go into a store and look at a 27" 1080p to see for yourself.

Without knowing viewing distance, or visual acuity of OP, you can't make that claim...

And, OP is specifically asking for 1080, because he can't afford a 1440p monitor.

Is really 7 cm wider, and 4 cm taller of a display area, a dealbreaker for 27" 1080? That's absolutely ridiculous.

You asked a very subjective question, so all you're going to get is a bunch of opinion. Take what everybody says with a huge bunch of salt, and make your own decision.

On my own personal system, I run a 1080p TV set, which is 42", and is ideal for my situation. There is no more aliasing on it than there is on my 22" 1080p monitor, as I'm not sitting 6" away from it, but instead, a comfortable viewing distance. I personally find sizes 32" or smaller to be distasteful after using a larger screen for so long. I also have a 4k 55" right above it, and you know, I rarely ever use 4k resolutions because Microsoft just can't seem to wrap their heads around scaling the GUI in Windows correctly for 4k, and the graphics horsepower needed to enjoy 4k gaming just isn't worth the money yet, but that's just my opinion.

It took some adjustment, when gaming on a larger screen vs a smaller computer monitor, but I wouldn't go back at this point.

Solution
Jan 26, 2014
Thank you guys so much for all of your opinions! I'm going to go with the 27in. My GPU is the sweet spot for 1080p and I will also have a lot of room to work with in Adobe after effects and premiere. Later on when I have a better GPU and some actual money I will go ahead and grab maybe a 4k display or an ultrawide. But again thanks guys and sorry for causing controversy lol. I think that the pixel density will still look great even though it is a but bigger than 25in.