1080p video lagging?

fadiii

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
My specs are

Intel p4
2gb ddr2
nvidia gt240 512mb GDDR3

..the 1080p i downloaded from windows media content showcase..is lagging..
I know my processor is obsolete but won't my care make up for it?
I have heard 1080p running smoth even on Atom processors with the help of good gpus...

BTW, i have media player classic installed..latest..

Does Media Player Classic even utilize the GPU for 1080p acceleration? I don't do much for video stuff.

I would think, even though the Intel Atom is a "small" processor, being as new as it is... it should be coded better for doing HD type video content. So if you're not utilizing the GPU at all, the Atom might actually decode HD stuff better than the P4 anyhow. ;)

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-atom-gn40-blu-ray,7243.html

Was just about to follow-up and ask if that's what you were already using. :(

From what I'm reading, the CPU is still used to decode the instructions for video playback. So the P4 could potentially be slowing that down still I suppose.

fadiii

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
@jerreece: thanks, and how can i make sure that its CPU?..i checked GPU load its around 10% while playback of all resolution 1080, 720,..shouldn't be higher for 1080?

If you dont' have an application to monitor CPU use, the easiest method is using Task Manager which is built right into Windows. You can access it by holding down Ctrl + Alt + Delete for a second.

The window that pops up has a "Performance" tab that graphically shows CPU usage, as well as a % indicator. It may show different if this system is running Vista or Windows 7.

The potential problem (again I don't do much HD video content on PC) is that the P4 is not only aging, but the chipset around it is old and slow as well. And neither were designed or optimized for HD content.

You can also monitor CPU usage while all other programs are shut down, just to make sure your CPU usage actually drops to 0-2% or so when you're not doing anything. Just to make sure you don't have a background process eating up CPU cycles.

If decoding the instruction set is pushing the CPU to 90%, I'd suggest that's your main issue.

Also, make sure you have the right version of MPC-HC. I think I read a note saying there was one that activated/enabled the GPU acceleration. Again, I don't use this stuff, so I'm not 100% positive there.

But if the P4 is at 90% just to decode the video, it's not going to be the smoothest playback. Would be interesting to watch the same video on your other computer and see what the CPU usage is by comparison (and the GPU usage).

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Fadiii, when you play a video, check that MCP shows Playing [DXVA] just below the controls, if this is not the case, all decoding is done by the CPU, and then, as jerreece is saying, your CPU simply is not up to the task.
It is also possible that the 1080p content that you have downloaded is not encoded for DXVA profiles usable by MPC.

If you are currently decoding using the CPU then take a look at this site showing step by step how to correctly set up MPC-HC to utilize DXVA for decoding, you already have one of the best videocards for the job, so would be a shame not to take advantage of it.

fadiii

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010

"playing DXVA" is not showed while watching that video..but i tried watching a 720p video it was showing with it..

so i assume may be the video is not decoded to be DXVA compatible..

thanks for the link.:)

I will try checking it with video decoded for DXVA..

fadiii

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
I do not want to create another thread for it but what would be the good cpu to pair with my current specs?

I have LGA775 motherboard..doesnt have potential to overclock
2gb 800mhz
and gt240 512 mb GDDR3

resolution that i want is : 1600x900

so please suggest me which cpu will be adequate for gaming..

Timop

Distinguished

Which motherboard? Does it support 45nm CPUs?
Something like an E6500 should work great if your Mobo takes it.

fadiii

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010

Yes it supports 45nm processors, its nvidia chipset, assus p5n-mx

note: am kind of low on budget..so i just want a chip who would do the job

That uses the nVidia 610i chipset. Which should support Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad CPUs. The Intel E6500 CPU is a 2.93Ghz dual core that should be leaps faster than your current P4.

It's $79.99 + Free Shipping.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116093&cm_re=E6500-_-19-116-093-_-Product

There are cheaper (and slower obviously) Intel Celeron chips you could go with as well. But for HD decoding stuff, you don't want to buy a "lesser" chip or you'll end up in the same boat.

fadiii

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010

it would be good for gaming rite ? and should i get more ram?

Ehhh... not really. Two problems. The E6500 is, quite frankly, yesterday's technology. So it's sort of behind the eight ball right now. It'll work, if coupled with a decent graphics card. However, the GT240 is NOT a gaming graphics card. At low resolution with low settings, and it would work.

But an E6500 + GT240 is not a super capable gaming platform by today's standards.

If you wanted to game with the system, I'd buy an ATI 5770 & an Intel Core2Quad CPU. But then again, I'm more of a hardcore gaming type. I want the best performance I can get for the resolution I'm playing at.

ATI 5770 @ $150
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161338&cm_re=ati_5770-_-14-161-338-_-Product

Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ $150
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115207

Now, the E6500 would work, and the GT240 might work for less intensive titles (with lowered settings). But it won't be anything to gloat over for sure.

EDIT: Ultimately it depends on what you mean by "gaming". :) What do you want to play?

Timop

Distinguished

Though the Q8300 isnt an ideal upgrade nowadays with the price and low frequency, especially on his board.

An Athlon II X4 635 + 870 board gives him essentially the same performance, OC headroom, expandadability, USB3/SATA6 and more goodies for nearly the same price.

fadiii

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
@jeereece: not much of a hardcore gamer..just few titles that i am aware of MW2, dirt 2, etc? i dont want to play on all high settings, medium will work for me...