[SOLVED] 1080P vs 1440P Gaming on PC, is it worth it?

Oct 26, 2020
Upgrading to 1440P is expensive but is it worth it when I could get a PS5 that could perform about the same for 3/4 of the price. I've priced a build to $2K. Not sure if I should keep the money and wait for the PS5.

Or do I avoid gaming in general since it seems to have gotten worse due to developers and in general gaming is getting worse in quality throughout the years.

Last edited:
Solution
While mostly true, dev's seem to rush games with little testing done in house, well not as much as compared to once upon a time. Logistics suggests more testing seems to be done after release utilising the public instead of hiring a work force.

Pc hardware/software combinations is vast and continuously changing so i could see the reason for doing it that way. Despite bugs, which you can kind of usually help avoid the bulk of, especially on release, if wait a couple of weeks. They usually get fixed pretty quickly if game breaking.

Despite bugs, which consoles too can have it's own share, gaming on PC is often superior achieving higher quality textures and frame rates. Ok, so dev's generally concentrate on consoles more, not because...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
While mostly true, dev's seem to rush games with little testing done in house, well not as much as compared to once upon a time. Logistics suggests more testing seems to be done after release utilising the public instead of hiring a work force.

Pc hardware/software combinations is vast and continuously changing so i could see the reason for doing it that way. Despite bugs, which you can kind of usually help avoid the bulk of, especially on release, if wait a couple of weeks. They usually get fixed pretty quickly if game breaking.

Despite bugs, which consoles too can have it's own share, gaming on PC is often superior achieving higher quality textures and frame rates. Ok, so dev's generally concentrate on consoles more, not because of content control, but more to do with optimising, running a game the best possible on limited hardware. Hardware that is confined and power constrained.

Consoles have it's place, it just depends on you what you feel like playing. When it comes to fps games, id much prefer a m&k. M&k isn't the only reason for spending a premium, if invested right, can have a PC that'll last several years with perhaps an gpu upgrade that'll keep running rings around the current, next and beyond gen consoles.

Regarding monitor, i have a 1440p 27" screen and love it, makes sense for the size. Gpu demand isn't that great coming from 1080p so any modern mid tier gpu is going to perform reasonably well depending on other ingame graphics settings. Of course, if want a targeted frame rate, some research to determine which is best for you will help make the right choice.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution
Upgrading to 1440P is expensive but is it worth it when I could get a PS5 that could perform about the same for 3/4 of the price. I've priced a build to $2K. Not sure if I should keep the money and wait for the PS5.

Or do I avoid gaming in general since it seems to have gotten worse due to developers and in general gaming is getting worse in quality throughout the years.
Those are all questions only you can answer.

You can build a system for high quality 1440 gaming (not including a monitor) for about $1000. If you want a PS5 vs a computer or avoid gaming is totally up to you.

$400 video card

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Gaming-R...RCB21PGYDF1&psc=1&refRID=61CG6C03YRCB21PGYDF1

Or can go even cheaper with an RTX 2060 for $330

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Overclo...=RTX+2060&qid=1603923365&s=electronics&sr=1-3

Ryzen 5 2600 is $140 https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Processor-Wraith-Stealth-Cooler/dp/B07B41WS48 and is plenty of CPU for gaming.

Case/power supply/RAM/Motherboard can easily fit in the rest for $500.

TRENDING THREADS