Apr 4, 2018
New system =
CPU= Core I-7 8700k with Coolermaster liquid 120 cooling
GPU = Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Waterforce WB Xtreme 11GB
MB = Gigabyte z370 gaming 7
RAM = Corsair 16GB (2 x8GB) CMK16GX4M2B3000C15W DDR4 3000MHz Vengeance
PSU = SilverStone ET750-HG Essential Series 80 Plus Gold Power Supply
hDD = Samsung 960 Pro Series 512GB M.2 SSD + Seagate 8tb Ironwolf red
Samsung 55"ks8000 4k uhd tv (completely tweaked for gaming)..

Cannot get better than 10 fps on final fantasy XV trial, fort nite etc... nvidia experience and the games themselves seem to think they should work at close to highest settings but by the time the game loads I get 4-10 fps.. FF XV is barely playable at 1080p on average settings with all nvidia shinies switched off. New HDMI cable (this is my first upgrade since core i-5 2500k with geforce 780)... I know it must be something simple but all activity monitors/temp etc seem barely effected.. The only problem is 4-10 fps lol... pls feel free to expose my derp for all to see..

GPU and CPU do not seem to be under much load 50-60% each in game.
Unigine benchmark is doing the same thing 8fps max gpu memory seems to keep steady at 810 then jump to 5412 sporadically (with F-secure in Game mode it occasionally gets to 25 fps, temp 92%

Apr 4, 2018
Yep.. multiple times, as recently as 2 days ago. The only update that has consistently failed (despite reporting success) is the bios. Stuck on F4, cannot get f5 to take. Tried using my old Dell Ultrasharp 27" 2K as a standalone tonight and still no dice.

Can you handle the truth? You'll have to get your hands dirty.

First thing that would help is a screenshot with the patient's stats..
AIO.png
You should also enable the voltage. That was all captured with MSI AB. Click on the gear from its main screen and then click on the Monitoring tab. Place a tick before each resource you want to monitor and click on Show In OSD further down that pane. We need to see why that FPS is there. I would delete your current driver. Download the latest from Nvidia. Uninstall the gfx card from Win 10's Device Manager. Run Nvidia's driver install pack. Click on Perform A Clean Install. Let it do its thing. My card did something similar. A 1080 Ti was acting like an arthritic snail trying to bench press a salt lick. That's what I did to remedy the situation.

I would also want to monitor its power level.

Apr 4, 2018

Lol yep hands dirty time... more annoying/embarassing that I work all day in a University I.T. department turning things off and on and re-imaging :/

So I booted to safe mode and used the DDU uninstaller.. Then clean installed only driver etc not "Geforce Experience" or 3d stuff. Initial impressions when running ungine immediately after were promising ie 200fps...
This quickly degraded to 30 odd by the time I ran a benchmark. I'm guessing you want me to ignore Gigabyte's GPU and Mobo monitors and use MSI afterburner instead? (I have a vague memory of afterburner being a preferred solution years ago).

The most curious thing I noticed during benchmarking was that the GPU memory would stay at 810mhz but sporadically jump to 5616mhz throughout. 810 seems mighty low for a 1080ti under load methinks

Ok I also installed Afterburner derping on how to include screenshot but task manager seems to show FF using 99 of GPU atm (whilst minimised and I type this). Getting too late running out of patience for now, it's 1:30am and I have to be up at 6 waaa

I hope you got some sleep.

810MHz is low but it's not jumping to over 5600MHz. It was too late at night for you to be venturing into the reality of video games. The max clock for the Ti is around 2000MHz before any OC'ing. The task manager's opinion is important but we need some hard numbers via screenshot. I'd be on the horn with EVGA if my 1080 Ti was acting funny. And it was. Bad 'ol putty tat. A few driver reinstalls cured that but it's odd that it took that many. Userbench saw I was having issues
1080_Ti_performance.png
I didn't use DDU. I did email them but through the course of a few reinstalls it's working right again.
after.png
. MSI AB told me as much but it's good to have a second opinion.

As long as we can see all its resources in real time on the screenshot the utility doesn't matter.

What does your BIOS/UEFI say about the voltages? We need to see what 12V says.

Try again at 1440p and higher resolutions via Nvidia's DSR.

It's def. being lazy for some reason. All power options set to maximum performance?

Apr 4, 2018

qrx05z.png

first attempt at screenshot... this is on the FF menu screen... no game loaded yet... should show the weird mem clock peaking (it does the same in gigabyte/msi etc... the OSD does say temp lim, which makes me wonder about what you said Rob Crezz... This is my first foray into liquid cooling albeit supposedly self contained. I will admit I have not looked into any sort of adjustments that may have been necessary (not that any were suggested).

Temperature issue? MSI AB can certainly show you that and the next screenshot will be a live screengrab from inside the game and the CPU & GPU temps. will be shown.

Well, you have the suspect in custody but now you have to prove guilt or innocence. I await your update.

My 1080 Ti boosted to 2000Mhz out of the box. The issue here is possibly the temperature and that I think explains the low core clock. My GPU is has a 120mm AIO attached to it by the factory so it stays cooler than air cooler cards, so far. It's at 22c right now.

The problem with temperature is that OC'ing and excess heat don't work at all. Once my GPU reaches 56c i receive my first penalty via GPU Boost 3.0. The core clock is throttled 13MHz. As my temperature increases past 56c my core clock is reduced incrementally. If I were to reach 70c or 80c the penalty would be pretty big BUT don't get confused. What's happening here is that the GPU Boost 3.0 is OC'ing the GPU to its highest but also safest OC. To be clear, that is not OC'ing. The base clock is 1569MHz and only when the card is forced to reduce it further would the card be thermal throttled. In short, keep it cooler than 56c at all times.

Apr 4, 2018

Ok so now for the massive Derp reveal! So glad I made peace with using myself as an example for others when describing just what NOT to do, be it in in life or just building a %^&ing pc...

So I used User Benchmark nearly 20 + times now and have had results for RAM, cpu and GPU vary widely and wildly (some quite interesting fluctuations tbh). However, first things first. Actually I will do dot points of my failures...

1. Very dark room, lack of sobriety and dull torchlight aside.. I had the RAM in channels 1&2! I would have sworn whatever oath needed to be sworn, that I read the labelling on mobo as 1,2,3, 4... Multiple times (and by multiple times I mean one of the corsair sticks was DOA) so after repeatedly swapping them to make sure, I somehow still managed to read (and wonder aloud how damn strange it was) that this is the first Mobo I've ever seen to make you put the sticks side by side... fffk.. but it gets better/worse.

2. Memory issue sorted, at least at the most basic level. I then proceeded to get underperforming benchmarks leading to enabling XMP in BIOS and then gettting much closer to expected results. That being said, the gigabyte app centre and Aourus Graphics engine still did not like to give consistent results.

3. ok this is the worst, most embarassing part. I have never ventured into water cooling. I was only interested in watercooling as far as fully self contained units that one would attach with the same level of ease as a fan based solution. My cpu cooler being an example. Soooo when I detached from sanity enough to purchase aforementioned rig, I made sure I checked with the supplier that the GPU I was buying was fully self contained (as it's very close brother clearly demonstrates). So after being guranteed that my GPU was fully self sufficient, I bought it. I am still the fool but I can confirm that I was reassured by multiple employees of the the very reputable supplier, that I needed nothing more than the card itself. caveat, was in a hurry to impule buy and be done with it. caveat, I had my 5yr old getting very very impatient with me as I tried to confirm aforementioned specs. So to end rant... I have the Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme | THE ONE WHICH IS DESIGNED SPECIFICALLY FOR ONE TO ADD ONE'S OWN LIQUID COOLING SOLUTION. Not the almost identically named GIGABYTE Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti WaterForce Xtreme... I was informed the latter model was obsolete cos the new one didn't need the goddamned fully enclosed liquid cooling and radiator. Sigh

So more fool me... but now I'm left with a stupidly expensive GPU which only just fits the silverstone HTPC case I bought(don't ask) and that's without any cooling system.

Whilst taking full responsibility, I would add that not only did the suppliers have no idea, but the instructions which came in the box in no way referenced or recommended which, what or how to connect it to my non existent liquid cooling solution.

Of course it's too late to return it, I guess I now have to retrofit it with an aftermarket solution or enter into the world of cutting a hole in my case and providing it with the oasis it has obviously been thirsting for since being unboxed.

Suggestions and/or derision, I'll take either... That all being said this was the most recent User benchmark

UserBenchmarks: Game 128%, Desk 153%, Work 137%
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K - 122%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080-Ti - 130.5%
SSD: Samsung 960 Pro NVMe PCIe M.2 512GB - 280.4%
HDD: Seagate Archive HDD 8TB (2015) - 40.2%
HDD: Seagate IronWolf 8TB (2016) - 87.7%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB - 94.7%
MBD: Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7

Apr 4, 2018
Ok so now for the massive Derp reveal! So glad I made peace with using myself as an example for others when describing just what NOT to do, be it in in life or just building a %^&ing pc...

So I used User Benchmark nearly 20 + times now and have had results for RAM, cpu and GPU vary widely and wildly (some quite interesting fluctuations tbh). However, first things first. Actually I will do dot points of my failures...

1. Very dark room, lack of sobriety and dull torchlight aside.. I had the RAM in channels 1&2! I would have sworn whatever oath needed to be sworn, that I read the labelling on mobo as 1,2,3, 4... Multiple times (and by multiple times I mean one of the corsair sticks was DOA) so after repeatedly swapping them to make sure, I somehow still managed to read (and wonder aloud how damn strange it was) that this is the first Mobo I've ever seen to make you put the sticks side by side... fffk.. but it gets better/worse.

2. Memory issue sorted, at least at the most basic level. I then proceeded to get underperforming benchmarks leading to enabling XMP in BIOS and then gettting much closer to expected results. That being said, the gigabyte app centre and Aourus Graphics engine still did not like to give consistent results.

3. ok this is the worst, most embarassing part. I have never ventured into water cooling. I was only interested in watercooling as far as fully self contained units that one would attach with the same level of ease as a fan based solution. My cpu cooler being an example. Soooo when I detached from sanity enough to purchase aforementioned rig, I made sure I checked with the supplier that the GPU I was buying was fully self contained (as it's very close brother clearly demonstrates). So after being guranteed that my GPU was fully self sufficient, I bought it. I am still the fool but I can confirm that I was reassured by multiple employees of the the very reputable supplier, that I needed nothing more than the card itself. caveat, was in a hurry to impulse buy and be done with it. Caveat, I had my 5yr old getting very very impatient with me as I tried to confirm aforementioned specs. So to end rant... I have the Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme | THE ONE WHICH IS DESIGNED SPECIFICALLY FOR ONE TO ADD ONE'S OWN LIQUID COOLING SOLUTION. Not the almost identically named GIGABYTE Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti WaterForce Xtreme... Note the lack of a WB in the name... I was informed the latter model was obsolete cos the new one didn't need the goddamned fully enclosed liquid cooling and radiator. Sigh

So more fool me... but now I'm left with a stupidly expensive GPU which only just fits the silverstone HTPC case I bought(don't ask) and that's without any cooling system.

Whilst taking full responsibility, I would add that not only did the suppliers have no idea, but the instructions which came in the box in no way referenced or recommended which, what or how to connect it to my non existent liquid cooling solution.

Of course it's too late to return it, I guess I now have to retrofit it with an aftermarket solution or enter into the world of cutting a hole in my case and providing it with the oasis it has obviously been thirsting for since being unboxed.

Suggestions and/or derision, I'll take either... That all being said this was the most recent User benchmark (with no GPU cooling)

UserBenchmarks: Game 128%, Desk 153%, Work 137%
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K - 122%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080-Ti - 130.5%
SSD: Samsung 960 Pro NVMe PCIe M.2 512GB - 280.4%
HDD: Seagate Archive HDD 8TB (2015) - 40.2%
HDD: Seagate IronWolf 8TB (2016) - 87.7%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB - 94.7%
MBD: Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7

Apr 4, 2018
Despite my own serious failings regarding this thread... I'm still left to wonder... hang on, how come nobody picked up on the fact that I had said GPU but no cooling listed? lolz