Question 1080ti black screens randomly

Jul 29, 2022
I have an asus 1080 ti and after booting my pc will randomly black screen after no specific amount of time, it could be 5 minutes or 2 hours even under load it can take a while but it will always happen. I've now just brought a 3070 that works perfectly fine in the system but would still like to get the 1080ti working again. Any ideas on what's wrong with it?

Pc specs:
Cpu - i7 10700kf
Motherboard - MSI MPG Z490 gaming plus
Ram - crucial ballistix 32gb 3200 mhz
Psu - cooler master mwe bronze 750w

I have an asus 1080 ti and after booting my pc will randomly black screen after no specific amount of time, it could be 5 minutes or 2 hours even under load it can take a while but it will always happen. I've now just brought a 3070 that works perfectly fine in the system but would still like to get the 1080ti working again. Any ideas on what's wrong with it?

Pc specs:
Cpu - i7 10700kf
Motherboard - MSI MPG Z490 gaming plus
Ram - crucial ballistix 32gb 3200 mhz
Psu - cooler master mwe bronze 750w
Have you tried to update the bios to the GPU itself, not the drivers this is where a lot of people have issues with the 10xx series cards

Jul 29, 2022
Just tried it in another system but had to use the same psu but only for the gpu, rest of the system powered by another psu and it still black screened after about an hour so guessing it's dead?

Last edited:
Just tried it in another system but had to use the same psu but only for the gpu, rest of the system powered by another psu and it still black screened after about an hour so guessing it's dead?
Possibly are you using the dumb question are you using the same psu for the 1080 as for the 3070 if so it's sus but it's the fact it's random timing that's catching me there's something off with it. Are there any signs at all you can catch it's going to happen and if you go to windows event viewer are there any errors

Jul 29, 2022
Yes I'm using the same psu for both cards and when I tried it in the second system I had the card plugged into a separate psu to the rest of the system. I will have another look tonight to see if I can find anything new or anything in the windows event viewer